QuickBooks error 6189 1005 has a direct relation with the company files. If your company file is not accessible currently, it may end up showing such an error code on your screen. As a result, you fail to make any changes in the employee records. This may happen due to several reasons. For instance, when the employer document is located in the network drive that is not accessible currently or encryption software is blocking the communication with the employer document.
This can be frustrating at times as you cannot make certain changes to the company file. However, by diagnosing the main cause, you can get rid of such errors. For your help, we will highlight the main causes in this technical guide while providing fixation methods of QuickBooks error 6189 1005. Read on to know more and fix the error.
Main Causes of QuickBooks Error 6189 1005
QuickBooks errors can arise due to a number of reasons. Sometimes outdated versions of your software bring errors or the new updates cause some issues. In addition, this error code may appear in different forms. For instance,
- QuickBooks Error 6189, 816
- QuickBooks Error 6189, 77
- QuickBooks Error 6189, 101
- QuickBooks Error 6189, 85
- QuickBooks Error 6189 ,82
- QuickBooks Error 6189, 1005
If you are wondering why you confront such errors codes, here, we are listing the main causes of QuickBooks error 6189 1005:
- You are not running QuickBooks with admin rights.
- QuickBooks Desktop installation is damaged or corrupted.
- Transaction Log and Network Data files are corrupted in QuickBooks.
These could be the factors due to which you are seeing QuickBooks error 6189 1005. By fixing such problems, you can get rid of unexpected errors in QuickBooks.
How to Fix QuickBooks Error 6189 1005?
As we stated before, the error code 6189 1005 is related to QuickBooks company files. If you restore your company files, it becomes easy to solve the error. Users should also make sure that their QuickBooks software is up to date. Along with this, you can rename the TLG and ND files to avoid errors. By changing the location of your company file and running QuickBooks File Doctor tool to repair files. Let us help you with the aforesaid methods with detailed instructions:
Fix 1: Update the QuickBooks Desktop
The old version of your accounting software may not support all the features. It even can make QuickBooks’ performance problematic. Hence, you should check if there is any new update for your software. If available, you can update QuickBooks immediately. Let us help you with some easy steps:
- In “QuickBooks Desktop”, click on the “Help” menu.
- Then, click on the “Update QuickBooks Desktop” option.
- Here, you can select the “Update Now” button located on the top right.
- After that, press the “Reset Update” option.
- Click on the “Get Updates” option.
Once the update is successfully installed, you can close QuickBooks. Later, you can relaunch it and access the company files. If you are still bothered by any error, move to the next solution we have.
Fix 2: Use QuickBooks File Doctor
Troubleshooting tools such as QuickBooks File Doctor are quite helpful to diagnose and fix the error. When you confront QuickBooks error 6189 1005, make sure you download QuickBooks Tools Hub to run the QuickBooks File Doctor tool. Here are the steps for the same:
- Download “QuickBooks Tools Hub” on your PC.
- Then, go to the “Downloads” folder and click on the “QuickBooksToolsHub.exe” file.
- Press the “Yes” button. This will allow the app to apply changes.
- Once done, click the “Next” button.
- Press the “Yes” button again to accept the license agreement.
- As you click the “Next” button, press the “Install” button. The process may take some time.
- After the installation is finished, you can click the “Finish” button.
- Now, it is time to launch “QuickBooks Tool Hub” on your computer.
- When you can see the “Company File Issues” tab on the left, click on it.
- At this point, you will find the option “Run QuickBooks File Doctor”.
As you run the QuickBooks File Doctor tool, the error will be fixed in minutes. To verify this, you can open the company files and check if you confront any interruptions.
Fix 3: Rename Transaction Log and Network Data Files
Transaction Log (.TLG) and Network Data (.ND) files are necessary to support QuickBooks company files. If any of these files are corrupted or damaged, you may encounter unwanted issues. However, by changing the name of these files, you can recover the files. Follow these steps to rename the TLG and ND files on Windows PC:
- First of all, locate the default location of the QuickBooks company file. It should be like this:
- C:\Users\Public\Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company File
- Here, you can search for the files with “TLG” and “ND” extensions.
- Once found, you can click right on the file and select the “Rename” button.
- While editing the name, you just need to add “.OLD” at the end of the file (after file extension). For example, CompanyName.qbw.ND.OLD.
- After doing so, you can press the “Yes” button to confirm your action.
As you rename both the files Transaction Log (.TLG) and Network Data (.ND), you can try accessing the QuickBooks company files to make changes.
Fix 4: Copy the Company File to Desktop
When you are constantly facing the same error, you should try moving the company files on your desktop screen. All you have to do is copy the file from its original location and paste it on the desktop. Thereafter, you can open the company file from the No Company Open window. Let us help you with the detailed steps:
To get started, you need to create a new folder on the desktop screen. For this, do the following:
- Click right on the desktop screen.
- Select the “New” button.
- After this, click on the “Folder” option.
- Now, you need to visit the company file location.
- From here, you can click right on it to select the “Copy” button.
- Then, go to the “New Folder” you just created.
- Here, you can click right to choose the “Paste” button.
- Once the file is copied to the desktop folder, you can press down the “Ctrl “ key. This will open the “No Company Open” screen. Make sure you don’t leave the Ctrl key while opening this screen.
- Now, click on the “Open or Restore an Existing Company” option.
- Then, click on the “Open a company file” option.
- Press the “Next” button.
- After this, go to the desktop folder where you copied the file and click the “Open” button.
As you open the file that you moved from the original location to the desktop, it will be repaired automatically. This way you can access the company files without confronting any errors.
Fix 5: Restore the Backup File
When you are not able to get rid of QuickBooks error 6189 1005, you should try restoring the QuickBooks backup file. This will repair the issues occurring in your company files. For this procedure, you will have to launch the No Company Open screen. Read on to know more:
- Make sure your “QuickBooks Desktop” is closed.
- Then, you can press down the “Ctrl “ key. This will open the “No Company Open” screen.
- After this, click on the “Open or Restore an Existing Company” option.
- Then, click on the “Restore a backup copy” option.
- Press the “Next” button.
- Here, you can follow the instructions given on your screen.
Once you are done following these steps, you can easily access the company files in your QuickBooks account.
QuickBooks is a versatile accounting software that comes up with smart features. However, due to some technical glitches, you might encounter certain error codes such as QuickBooks error 6189 1005. To resolve such issues, you will have to understand the main reasons behind them. Thereafter, you can repair the error accordingly. Here, we have given you a number of methods to resolve this problem so you can access your company files uninterruptedly.
Besides this error, you may encounter other types of error codes in QuickBooks. If you confront any of the following errors, we have prepared curated guides for you: