When a user tries to open the company file, the screen may end up showing QuickBooks error code 6189 77. In some instances, you may notice a flash on your screen. This happens when the file cannot be accessed in a timely manner and thus displays the runtime error. The presence of this error on your PC can bring serious issues to your company data. Therefore, you should repair the error as soon as possible. Here, we are going to discuss some of the helpful methods that can reduce the effect of runtime error.
In this blog, we will bring your attention to the causes of QuickBooks error code 6189 77. Along with this, you will find out a list of troubleshooting methods to fix the runtime error.
- What are the Causes of QuickBooks Error 6189 77?
- How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 6189 77?
- Fix 1: Close Problematic Programs
- Fix 2: Update the Virus Protection
- Fix 3: Uninstall and Reinstall the Programs
- Fix 4: Reinstall Microsoft Visual C ++ Redistributable Package
- Fix 5: Reinstall the Graphics Driver
- Fix 6: Perform Disk Cleanup
- Fix 7: Internet Related Runtime Error
What are the Causes of QuickBooks Error 6189 77?
While you access your QuickBooks company file, you may encounter a runtime error with a code 6189 77. There can be numerous reasons behind this:
- When the company file (.QBW) and a transaction log file (.TLG) do not match or some other user is using the company file in Single User Mode from a different workstation, you may find a runtime error.
- QuickBooks Data files are damaged or corrupted due to which you are unable to access the file.
- If multiple users are trying to access the same company file in a single user mode, it may not pop up a runtime error.
- Corrupted or damaged software installation may bring errors.
- Required drivers are missing on your computer due to which you are unable to run QuickBooks properly.
- Your Windows system is probably having an issue or it is affected by the virus services.
- QuickBooks software is not installed properly.
- Windows Registry is corrupted.
There can be other reasons that may affect the functionality of your accounting software. If you are unable to access the company file or data, you should troubleshoot the system and your accounting software to get rid of the runtime error.
How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code 6189 77?
Runtime error can be fixed if you perform the relevant methods. For instance, shut down the program that you think is problematic. You can reinstall them as well to avoid any issues. If you have virus protection services installed on your computer, make sure it is updated to the latest version. Reinstalling the Microsoft Visual C ++ Redistributable Package is also mandatory.
In addition, users are required to reinstall the graphic driver, reset the Internet Explorer, disable Script Debugging, and free up some space on your hard drive. These methods will surely help you to remove the QuickBooks error 6189 77. Let’s have a look at the following methods with detailed steps:
Fix 1: Close Problematic Programs
Even when you are not using any program, it keeps running in the background on your system. Due to the active programs in the background, you may find conflicts while using QuickBooks software. By closing all the programs that are problematic, you can get rid of runtime errors. To close the problematic program, you can do the following:
- Launch the “Task Manager” by pressing the “Ctrl + Alt + Del” key combination on your computer. This will show you the programs running on your system currently.
- Click on the “Processes” tab.
- Then, stop the running process one after one. For this, you can click on the program and choose the “End Process” option.
If you encounter any error message while stopping a particular process, this will help you to know which program is mainly creating issues. Thereafter, you can reinstall this application to avoid QuickBooks error 6189 77.
Fix 2: Update the Virus Protection
Virus attacks can cause severe issues to your computer. To protect your system from virus infection, most users prefer to use virus protection services. If you are using any virus protection services, you should check if it has blocked the QuickBooks program. Besides that, you can check the new updates for the virus program, scan your computer, and update the Windows system to avoid the risk of QuickBooks error 6189 77.
Fix 3: Uninstall and Reinstall the Programs
Windows may bring issues when the programs installed on it are not updated. Therefore, you should remove the problematic programs so that you can re-install the latest version. By doing so, the conflicting programs will not create issues. Have a look at the following steps to update or reinstall the conflicting programs on Windows computer:
- Click on the “Windows” search bar.
- Then, type “Control Panel”.
- Now, click on the “Uninstall a program”.
- Press the Windows “Start” button.
- Scroll down a little and select the “More Settings” option.
- Click on the “Control Panel” option.
- Press the “Uninstall a program”.
- Go to the “Start” menu.
- Then, select the “Control Panel” option.
- Click on the “Uninstall a program” button.
As you perform these steps and get into the Uninstall a program menu, you can perform the following steps:
- Move to the “Program and Features” menu.
- Click on the program that is creating conflicts and then hit the “Uninstall” or “Update” button.
If you choose to update the program then you should follow the instructions given on your screen to complete the process. But, if you choose to uninstall the program then you need to download the program again from the trusted source and install it completely on your system. This may help you to avoid QuickBooks error code 6189 77.
Fix 4: Reinstall Microsoft Visual C ++ Redistributable Package
Outdated or corrupted Microsoft Visual C++ packages can bring problems while working on QuickBooks. If the runtime libraries are not installed properly, you should re-install it. To do so, you are required to perform the following steps:
- Go to the “Programs and Feature” window from “Control Panel”.
- Locate the “MS Visual C++ Redistributable Package” from the list of installed programs.
- After this, click on the “Uninstall” button.
Once done following these steps, you can reboot the computer. After that, download the redistributable package with the latest version from Microsoft. Make sure you complete the procedure of installation and verify if the error has been resolved.
Fix 5: Reinstall the Graphics Driver
The corrupted graphic drivers can also be the reason that you are facing QuickBooks error code 6189 77 on your screen. To avoid that, you just need to uninstall the driver and then reinstall it again. Here are the steps for the same:
- Open the “Device Manager”.
- Then, search for the graphics driver that you wish to uninstall.
- Now, click right on the video card driver.
After you remove the graphic driver, you can restart your computer. Then, download the new graphics driver and install it on your computer.
Fix 6: Perform Disk Cleanup
Windows systems with full storage may not allow certain software to function properly. If you are bothered by QuickBooks error code 6189 77, you should try freeing up some space. To proceed with this, you can go through the following steps:
- Make sure you create a backup of your files before cleaning the disk space.
- Then, free up some space on the hard drive.
- Also, clear the cache.
- Now, reboot your Windows computer.
- Here, you can run the “Disk Cleanup”, open the “Explorer” window and then click right on the main directory. This is usually located in drive C.
- Click on the “Properties”.
- Then, click the “Disk Cleanup” option.
As you perform these steps, you can restart your computer and check if you are still viewing any runtime errors.
Fix 7: Internet Related Runtime Error
If QuickBooks error code 6189 77 is related to your Internet Explorer then you can reset the web browser. In addition, you can disable the script debugging. You can check out the following steps stated below:
Reset the Web Browser
- Windows 10 or 8 users
- Click on the search bar
- Type “Internet Options”.
- After this, click on the “Advanced” tab.
- Press the “Reset” button.
- Windows 7 users
- Click on the “Start” menu.
- Open the “Control Panel”.
- Click on the “Internet Options” located on the left.
- After this, select the “Advanced” tab.
- Hit the “Reset” button.
Disable Script Debugging
- Go to the “Internet Options” window.
- Move to the “Advanced” tab.
- Search for the “Disable script debugging”.
- Place the checkmark on the radio icon.
- Now, remove the checkmark for the “Display a Notification about every Script Error” option.
- Once done, click on the “Apply” option.
- Press the “OK” button.
Once you are done performing these steps, you can reboot the computer. These steps will help you to fix the run time error and then you can access the QuickBooks account uninterruptedly.
A runtime error is quite common to encounter when accessing the company file. The outdated system, virus protection services, or corrupted drivers could be the reasons behind such inconveniences. Here, we have given you easy and effective solutions that will help you to resolve the QuickBooks error code 6189 77.
Facing other types of errors in QuickBooks? Have a look at the following guides and find out the best solution to fix the error.