QuickBooks Online Search is a feature integrated into the accounting software that helps you to find specific files or items. However, in some situations, the search option may not work due to technical issues or bugs. The reason behind this is not certain as there can be numerous causes. Hence, we bring this guide to you so that you can find why you confront such issues with the QuickBooks search option. So, if your QuickBooks search function not working, read this guide to make the Search icon work again.
The detailed guide is focused on the main causes of QuickBooks errors. If the QuickBooks search function not working, you can continue following these methods to fix the problem.
Why Is QuickBooks Online Search Not Working?
QuickBooks often create minor problems due to stubborn bugs. If QuickBooks 2016 search not working, there can be numerous reasons behind this. Some of the best possible reasons have been listed below:
- Windows Registry is corrupted.
- Malware or virus has affected QuickBooks functions.
- QuickBooks is running an outdated version.
- Damaged Index file.
- The firewall is affecting QuickBooks.
Such reasons may affect the functionality of accounting software. If the search option cannot function due to the aforementioned reasons, you can configure QuickBooks and Windows system settings which we will discuss in further detail.
How to Fix When Search Function Not Working in QuickBooks?
QuickBooks Search is quite helpful to quickly find particular accounting data. If this Search icon ever becomes unresponsive then you execute the repairing methods. By changing the name of the QuickBooks Search Index file, you can repair the damaged file. This will allow you to use a search icon.
Apart from this, you can turn off Windows Firewall for a short while so that you can use QuickBooks uninterruptedly. Repairing Windows Registry and reinstalling QuickBooks Desktop can also help you to eliminate the presence of this error. In addition, QuickBooks Online users can open their QB account in an incognito window or clear cache and cookies.
For better insights, you can jump to the following fixation methods with detailed steps:
1: Disable the Windows Firewall
Windows Firewall often restricts a few programs from performing efficiently. By disabling the Windows Firewall temporarily, the QuickBooks program and its Search may function properly.
All you have to do is to go to the Control Panel, open the Firewall settings, and disable the service. Here are the detailed steps for this:
- Open the “Control Panel”.
- Then, click on the “System and Security” section.
- Select the “Windows Firewall”.
- After this, you can click on “Turn Windows Firewall on or off” from the left side.
- Once done, press the bubble located next to the “Turn off Windows Firewall”.
- Press the “OK” button.
As you turn off the firewall service, you can open QuickBooks software and check if you can use the Search icon properly.
2: Rename QB Search Index File
If the QuickBooks Search Index file is damaged, you may have trouble using the QuickBooks search feature. However, you can fix the damaged Search Index file by changing its name.
To rename the Search Index file, you are required to open the Search Index file from the QuickBooks folder, click right on the file, choose Rename, and add Old at the end of the file name. Check out the following step for better information:
- Make sure the “QuickBooks” program is closed.
- Then, click on the Windows “Start” button.
- Now, start typing “SearchIndex” in the Windows search bar.
- Press the “Enter” key.
- At this point, you will locate a folder that has a QuickBooks company folder. From this folder, you need to find the “QBW.SearchIndex” folder. (Learn to Open QBW File without QuickBooks)
- Once located, click right on the folder.
- Choose the “Rename” option.
- Add the “.OLD” at the end of the file name.
- After that, you can launch “QuickBooks” software.
- Open the QuickBooks company file.
- At this point, you need to click on the “Search” icon located in the top left corner.
- Here, you have to click on the “Update Search Information” option.
- Then, press the “OK” button.
Once you are done renaming the Search Index file and updating the search information, you can easily use the search icon. In case the search icon still is not able to function, try the next fix.
3: Repair Windows Registry
A corrupted or damaged Windows Registry can cause a particular feature or the whole program. In addition, recent changes to the registry may have a direct impact on your QuickBooks-related data which results in unexpected errors. Thus, it is important to fix the Windows Registry
To get started, open the Command Prompt and launch the Registry Editor by running the command. After that, you can export a backup file in order to fix the registry on Windows.
You can follow these instructions to implementing the right steps:
- Go to the Windows “Start” button located at the bottom left.
- Type “Command Prompt” in the search bar.
- Now, press the “Enter” key.
- Make sure, you press Ctrl + Shift keys. And, if you receive any prompt, press “Yes” to grant permission.
- When the “Command Prompt” window opens, type “Regedit” in the empty space.
- Hit the “Enter” key to open the “Registry Editor” window.
- At this point, select the old working file that uses the backup.
- Moving ahead to the “File” menu.
- Select the “Export” button.
- From here, you can click on the folder to save the backup file. Also, make sure that you opt for the brand option in the “Export Range”.
- After doing that, click the “Save” button.
After you save the file using the .reg extension, restart your computer. Now that you have fixed the Windows Registry, you can use QuickBooks and check the Search option if it is working.
4: Open QuickBooks in Private Window
If QuickBooks Online search not working, you should try opening QuickBooks in an Incognito mode. By doing so, you can determine if there is an issue with your regular browser. Be it Google Chrome(Fix QuickBooks Login Issues on Chrome) or any other browser, you can open the private window and log in to your QuickBooks Online account to use the search box.
Here, we are listing the shortcut keys for the following web browsers. Whichever Internet browser you are running, use the following key combinations:
- Internet Explorer: Use Ctrl + Shift + P
- Google Chrome: Use Ctrl + Shift + N
- Safari Browser: Use Command + Shift + N
- Mozilla Firefox: Use Ctrl + Shift + P
As you open the incognito window, open QuickBooks Online and add your ID and password. If you are able to use the Search icon in QuickBooks then you should clear the chase and cookie of your irregular internet browser.
5: Clear Browser Cache & Cookies
While using the internet, your browser automatically stores the browsing history cache and cookies. Browser cache takes unnecessary space which results in unwanted problems while using QuickBooks Online.
To get rid of such issues, you need to clear the cache, browsing history, and cookies of your regular internet browser. This way your QuickBooks Online can function uninterruptedly.
If you are using Google Chrome browser and facing a “QuickBooks Online search not working” error, follow these step-by-step instructions:
- Open the “Google Chrome” browser on your Windows computer.
- Move to the “Settings”. For this, you can click on the three vertical dots available on the top right.
- Now, scroll down a little and locate the “Clear Browser Data” option.
- After this, switch to the “Advanced” tab.
- Here, you can choose the following:
- Browsing history
- Cached images and files
- Cookies and other site data
- Download history
- Once done, select the “Time Range” dropdown option. If you choose the “All time” option it will clear the cache and cookies from the beginning at once.
- After that, click the “Clear data” option.
As you follow these steps, the web cache, and cookies clear out. After that, you can close the tabs and start Google Chrome again(). Thereafter, you can try logging in to QuickBooks Online.
6: Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop
QuickBooks and its functions may be caused by minor bugs. If you reinstall the accounting software, it could solve the error. To proceed with the QuickBooks reinstallation, you need to uninstall the program first. After that, you need to download the QuickBooks program from a trusted source. We recommend you download the most recent QuickBooks version while checking the compatibility of your system.
To continue with the QuickBooks Desktop reinstallation, you can proceed with the following steps:
- Open the “Control Panel” from the Windows search bar.
- Then, look for the “Programs and Features” section. You can directly open the “Uninstall a Program” section.
- Here, you will see a list of installed programs out of which you need to locate the “QuickBooks Desktop”.
- Once located, click the “Uninstall/Change” button.
- After that, you can remove the program.
- When the program is successfully removed, you can browse the “QuickBooks download file” from the Intuit website.
- Then, save the file on your computer.
- With a double click, you can open the file so that you can download and install the program on your computer.
This is how you can reinstall the QuickBooks program. If you do not want to use the manual process, the QuickBooks Clean install tool can also help in this. As you reactivate the QuickBooks Desktop, you can try accessing the Search box. This way you can solve the “QuickBooks 2017 search not working” error.
QuickBooks Search functions in a way that you can easily locate the file you are looking for. This prevents you from the file visiting the folder manually. However, in some scenarios, the search icon may not work or doesn’t respond effectively. To avoid “QuickBooks Online search not working” issues, you can implement the repairing methods we have discussed already in this guide.
To learn more about accounting software, you can read the following guides requested by users: