QuickBooks data files require internet access to function properly. In addition, your accounting software requires a real-time data transfer via the internet. However, Windows Firewall may cause internet issues that result in unexpected errors. Windows Firewall affects QuickBooks in a way that your software will not be able to communicate with the server where your data is stored. If Windows Firewall is blocking QuickBooks, you need to implement effective methods to solve this problem.
The guide demonstrates the key reasons due to which Windows Firewall is blocking QuickBooks server. Along with that, we will provide some solutions that can help you to fix the issue.
Why Windows Firewall is Blocking QuickBooks Database Server Manager
When you encounter errors related to the QuickBooks server, it indicates that Windows Firewall needs to be configured. Here is the list of best possible causes due to which Windows Firewall is blocking QuickBooks 2017, 2016, and other versions.
- QuickBooks requires specific ports in order to access the internet. It is likely to encounter errors if these ports are not created or set up on your Windows system.
- QuickBooks software can also be blocked by your Windows system.
- Third-party applications such as antivirus services may also block certain applications on your computer.
The aforementioned reasons could cause server issues because of which Windows Firewall is blocking QuickBooks 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, and so on. Now that you are aware of the main cause, we will help you with the repair methods.
What to Do If Windows Firewall is Blocking QuickBooks 2017, 2016, 2015, and Other Versions?
Windows Firewall and antivirus programs are the main reasons that cause QuickBooks’s performance. If you configure the settings and set the right preference, you can get rid of QuickBooks errors.
Before moving forward, you should reboot your computer to refresh the applications. If you are still facing issues opening QuickBooks then perform troubleshooting methods. For instance, you can add the ports for QuickBooks depending on the version. After that, you can try disabling Antivirus programs and add firewall exceptions to Windows settings.
To avoid any kind of mistakes, you can take help from the following methods. Here we have compiled a list of methods with detailed steps.
Fix 1: Reboot Windows Computer
The first and foremost step is to reboot your Windows system. To do so, you can pursue the following steps stated below:
- Click on the Windows “Start” menu.
- Then, press the power button.
- After that, select the “Restart” option. This will refresh your system and the apps installed on it.
After rebooting the system, you can check if Windows Firewall is blocking QuickBooks 2020 and other versions. If so then you can configure Windows Firewall and port settings.
Fix 2: Configure Windows Firewall Ports
Specific Firewall ports are required by the QuickBooks program so that it can access the internet. If Windows Firewall is blocking QuickBooks 2016 and other versions then you need to configure Firewall ports.
Note: QuickBooks program does not use a large range of ports. It uses specific versions, however, it depends on which QuickBooks version you are using.
To configure the Windows Firewall port, you are required to set up inbound and outbound rules in Windows settings. Here are the detailed steps for the same:
- Launch “QuickBooks Database Server Manager” on your computer.
- Then, switch to the “Port Monitor” tab.
- Here, you need to note down the “Port Number” available for the applications.
- After this, press the “Windows + I” keys together on your computer. This will open the “Settings” of your system.
- Then, move to the “Update & Security” section.
- Choose the “Windows Security” tab located on the left pane.
- Thereafter, select the “Firewall and Network Security” option.
- Here, you can click on the “Advanced Settings” option from the list.
- When a new window opens, click the “Inbound Rules” option.
- After this, click on the “New” Rule” button.
- Once done, choose the “Port” and press the “Next” button.
- Select the “TCP” option.
- Then, click on the “Specified Local Ports” option.
- Now, the port numbers can be displayed differently depending on the version you are using. For instance:
- For QB Server Manager 2016, you can enter 8019, 56726, 55368-55372.
- For QB Server Manager 2017, you can enter 8019, 56727, 55373-55377.
- For QB Server Manager 2018, you can enter 8019, 56728, 55378-55382
- For QB Server Manager 2019, you can enter 8019 and the port number you noted in step 2.
- Press the “Next” button.
- Click on the “Allow the Connection” option.
- Now, click the “Next” button again.
- Here, you need to make sure that all three options are marked.
- Press the “Next” button.
- Add a new name for the new rule.
- After clicking on the “Next” button, press the “Finish” button.
As you follow these steps, the inbound rule will be created. You can follow the same procedure for creating an outbound rule. Once you are done creating inbound and outbound rules, you can open QuickBooks to check if you are having issues.
Fix 3: Disable Antivirus Program
To protect Windows systems, most users download antivirus services. If you use any antivirus software on your Windows computer, there are chances for your QuickBooks program to get blocked. Antivirus services revoke permission for certain programs. QuickBooks could be one of them. Such restrictions prevent QuickBooks from accessing the internet. So if Windows Firewall is blocking QuickBooks 2019 and other versions, you can simply disable the antivirus program and then continue working with QuickBooks.
Fix 4: Add Firewall Exception
In some instances, Windows Firewall blocks the QuickBooks program even when the ports are opened. If you add the QuickBooks program to your firewall exception, you can easily fix the error.
To do so, we suggest you navigate through the Windows Settings and allow QuickBooks to access the connection. Have a look at the following steps to understand better.
- Press the “Windows + I” keys together in order to open the “Settings” window.
- In the “Settings” window, locate the “Update & Security” section.
- Then, click on the “Windows Security” tab located on the left.
- After this, click on the “Firewall and Network Security” option.
- Now, move to the “Advanced Settings” option from the available options.
- Thereafter, you can select the “Inbound Rules” option.
- Select the “New Rule” option.
- After that, click the “Program” section.
- Press the “Next” button.
- Now, you need to select the “This program path” option.
- Hit the “Browse” button.
- Once done, you can choose the path where you have installed the QuickBooks program.
- Then, click the “Next” button.
- At this point, you need to select the “Allow the Connection” option.
- Here, you can mark all three options and press the “Next” button.
- Add the name for the firewall rule and hit the “Finish” button.
After following these steps, you can check if Windows Firewall is blocking QuickBooks 2018 and other versions.
QuickBooks accounting software can cause server errors especially when the Windows firewall setting is not correct. If Windows Firewall is blocking QuickBooks server, you need to diagnose its cause so that you can implement the right step. Through our guide, we have provided a number of ways through which you can fix the server issues. After performing these methods, you can restart your computer and continue using QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
In case import journal entries into QuickBooks not working, we have prepared a detailed guide on the same. Check this guide to find the best solution.