All the files generated in QuickBooks are stored in QBW format. Hence, QBW is a core of this accounting software. Your company files and other crucial information are saved in QBW format. In order to open the QBW file, it is required to open QuickBooks Desktop. However, not in every situation, you would want to access QuickBooks. For instance, Windows errors may restrict you to open the QBW file in QuickBooks and thus suggest you open this file using other software. Hence, in this blog, we will show you how to open QBW file without QuickBooks Desktop.
What is QBW File Extension?
Before learning to open QBW file without QuickBooks Desktop, we want you to understand about QBW file extension. QBW file a simple format under which your QuickBooks data is stored. All the files serve different purposes but are saved in QBW format. This file extension can be used for the following data:
- Financial data
- Cash Flow Projector
- Business Planner
- Loan Manager
- Financial Statement Designer
These files are important to keep your data. It is also recommended to always create a backup of your QBW files. This will also make your task easy to move your data on the network. In addition, it saves your system from crashes.
How Do I Open a QBW File without QuickBooks?
A lot of users are wondering if they can open the QBW file without accessing QuickBooks. Well, you can do that easily. All you are required to do is convert the format of QBW to an Excel file. This is the only way you obtain QuickBooks company data without accessing QuickBooks Desktop.
To make it happen, you can open the list of programs on your Windows computer. From the Intuit folder, you can open the QuickBooks folder. At this point, you can simply go to the Customer, Employees, or Vendors option, click the Customer Center option, and choose the Excel option, and click the Export Excel. As you do so, the information can be accessed easily.
- On your Windows computer, click on the “Windows logo” or “Start” menu located at the bottom left.
- Then, click on the “All Programs” option. This will show you a list of options.
- From here, you can choose “Intuit”.
- In the “Intuit” folder, start searching for the “QuickBooks” program.
- Once found, open the “QuickBooks” folder.
- Here, you need to click on the “Customer, Employees, or Vendors. You will find these options on the top left side.
- Once you do so, click the “Customer Center” option.
- In order to access the “QBW” file, you need to convert the file into “Excel” format. Hence, you are required to choose the “Excel” button here. This should be located on the top.
- After that, click on the “Export Excel” option. This will show you a pop-up window.
- Now, you can review all the details and hit the “Export” button.
- As you export the file in Excel format, you can open the “Microsoft Excel” sheet.
Note: QBW file can be opened in any version of Microsoft Excel 2010 or later.
- After doing so, click on the “Data” tab which is located on the top left.
- Now, press the “Other Resources” tab.
- At this point, you are required to find the imported file using the latest pop-up window. If you are unable to find the file manually then we suggest you locate the file separately and make sure you paste it on the desktop. This becomes easy for you to locate the imported file.
- Once your file is successfully converted, you can open the file.
This way you can view all the details related to your QuickBooks company files in an excel format.
When Do You Need to Access QBW without Accessing QuickBooks?
There can be a couple of reasons due to which you may require to open a QBW file without using QuickBooks. These reasons could be any of the following:
- Using Another Accounting Software: Although QuickBooks is one of the best accounting software, other accounting software can also be counted. So, If you are using another accounting software due to some reasons but want to access the old QuickBooks company data (QBW file), that is when you need to open a QBW file but outside of QuickBooks.
- Errors in Windows Computers: In some instances, users encounter an error stating that they can’t open this file while opening a .QBW file. So, if you are facing such an error where you are unable to open a QBW file using QuickBooks then you may need to find an alternate way to do it.
In a Nutshell
There can be instances when you are using different accounting software and you need to access a QBW file that can only be opened through QuickBooks. But, if you convert the QBW file format to Excel format, it becomes easy for you to open the QBW files without even accessing QuickBooks. Here, we have shown you in detail how to open QBW file without QuickBooks Desktop. Using a simple trick will also allow you to access QuickBooks company data or information anytime even when you are not logged into QuickBooks Desktop.
If you want to learn how to start a new company file in QuickBooks, read this guide.