There can be numerous reasons when you void a particular transaction in QuickBooks. Mistakenly-charged merchandise, fraudulent purchases, incorrect charges are likely to be voided. Moreover, voiding the transaction is better than deleting it as this may result in permanent loss of the transaction. If you have voided the transaction that you want to unvoid now, this guide is for you. Learn with us how to unvoid a check in QuickBooks Online and Desktop.
How Can You Undo a Voided Check in QuickBooks?
When you void the transaction, it can be viewed from the Audit Log or Audit History in QuickBooks. However, you will not get any direct way to restore the transactions that are already voided. Yet to make it possible, you can perform the workaround methods. For instance, you can use the transaction details to prepare a new transaction. All you have to do is open the voided transaction and view the necessary details. Thereafter, you can enter it manually to create the transaction record in QuickBooks again.
In the following discussion, we will take you through the two methods. These methods will help you to locate the voided transactions so you can create the new one with the same details.
Method 1: How to Undo a Voided Check in QuickBooks?
In case you void the transaction accidentally, you can undo this action. As stated earlier, you will not have any direct option to restore the voided transactions, you can do this by entering the details again. To learn how to unvoid a check in QuickBooks Online, you can pursue the following steps:
- To get started, you will have to locate the transaction that you voided. Once found, you can open it.
- Then, scroll down to the bottom and click the “More” button.
- Here, select the “Audit History” option.
- Now, you can click on the “Show all” button. By doing so, you will view all the details of the transaction. This will also show you the edited and voided transactions.
- At this point, you can note down all the details required for re-entering the transactions.
Please Note: The amount of the voided transactions will appear as zero (0). However, you can use the correct amount while re-entering the transaction manually.
- After this, choose the back option on the web browser.
- Now, continue entering the voided transaction.
Once you enter the details correctly, your record will update accordingly. This way you can get your voided transitions back to the record in QuickBooks.
Method 2: How to Unvoid a Check in QuickBooks Desktop?
There can be occasions when your transaction was already reconciled but you voided the transaction accidentally in the next month. This may result in errors while reconciling the account as it shows the beginning balance off. To avoid such errors, you can simply unvoid a transaction that you voided accidentally. But can voiding a check in QuickBooks be undone?
The moment you void the transaction, you will have no automatic option to undo that action. Thus, you cannot unvoid a voided transaction in QuickBooks. However, to get your voided transactions back, you can enter them manually using the information from the voided transaction.
To run this alternative method, one has to know where to find the voided transaction so you can get the necessary details of transactions to enter it again. This can be possible through the Audit Log.
Audit Log helps you to locate all the deleted, modified, and voided transactions. By finding the voided transactions, you can view all the information to use for preparing transactions. Let us show you how to unvoid a check in QuickBooks Desktop:
- Click on the “Gear icon”.
- Then, select the “Audit Log” option.
- Click on the “Filter” icon.
- Click the “Reconciliations” from the “Events” section.
- Hit the “Apply” button.
At this moment, you can view all the required details. Thereafter, you can re-enter the voided transactions by using these details. After this, you can use the discrepancy report. Make sure that the total difference in the discrepancy report should be zero ($0.00).
Once done fixing the transactions, you can continue performing the mini reconciliation through the following steps:
- Click on the “Accounting” tab.
- Then, choose the “Reconcile” button.
- Select the account you want to reconcile. To choose the account, you can use the “Account” drop-down.
- Here, you will find the “Beginning balance” entered so you can add the “Ending balance” with “Ending date”. Make sure you enter the details as written on the bank statement.
- After this, choose the “Start reconciling” option.
With these instructions, you can easily finish the reconciliation. All you need to do is to locate the voided transactions from the Audit Log then use the details to create transactions manually and perform the reconciliation.
To Sum Up
Voiding or unvoiding the transaction in QuickBooks is easy. However, the procedure of unvoiding the transaction seems to be a tricky one. Users don’t get a dedicated option to undo the action after voiding the check but you can manually re-enter the transactions using the details from Audit Log or Audit History. With the medium of this guide, we have already shown how you can unvoid the check in QuickBooks.
Besides that, if you want to void the check or reconcile the old transaction in QuickBooks, we have more helpful guides: