QuickBooks is one of the versatile accounting software using which you can handle tax e-payments, GST invoices, automatic payments, and much more. However, technical errors are likely to be encountered when working with the QuickBooks program. QuickBooks error 136 is one of those errors that show up unexpectedly. Due to this error, you may fail to access the QuickBooks company files. If you have stumbled upon such an error, we are here to help you with different solutions.
In this guide, we will provide a number of fixation methods that will help you to rectify QuickBooks error 136. Here are the solutions to solve the error.
How to Fix QuickBooks Error 136?
To fix the QuickBooks error 136 effortlessly, you are not supposed to implement quite technical steps. All you are suggested is to perform the basic methods. For instance, you can close the QuickBooks-related processes in the Windows Task Manager. The processes running in the background often create conflicts between programs due to which you fail to access QuickBooks or its company files.
Apart from this, you can suppress QuickBooks Desktop and company files. If there is any new update available for your program, install it to avoid errors. In addition, you can try opening the company file from a different location.
Fix 1: End QuickBooks Processes in Task Manager
When you are unable to access the company files due to QuickBooks error 136, the first action you should take is to end the running processes related to QuickBooks. To perform these steps, you are required to go to the Windows Task Manager, locate the running processes with the QBW32.exe file, and hit the End Task button.
To know in detail, you can navigate through the following steps:
- To get started, click right on the “Taskbar” on Windows computer.
- Then, click on the “Start Task Manager”.
- Now, switch to the “Process” tab.
- After this, go to the “Image name header” in order to arrange the results alphabetically.
- Press the “End Process” button.
- Once done, locate the “QBW32.exe” file.
- Click the “End Process” button.
As you end the task, it will stop all the QuickBooks processes from running in the background. After this, you can try opening QuickBooks software and access your company files. If you are still bothered by the error, switch to the next fix.
Fix 2: Suppress QuickBooks Desktop
The suppress method allows you to open QuickBooks software without facing QuickBooks error 136. All you have to do is open QuickBooks while pressing down the Alt key. For step by step instructions, you can jump to the following instructions:
- On your Windows computer, locate the “QuickBooks Desktop” software icon on the desktop screen.
- Once found, you can double-click the software icon. While opening the “QuickBooks” program, you are required to press the “Alt” key on the keyboard.
- Now, you can type a strong password into the password field.
- As your device appears, your system may prompt the default password of the user. After adding the required credentials, you can release the “Alt” key you have been pressing down.
- Here, press the “OK” button.
- When the QuickBooks application opens, you are required to hold down the “Alt” key on your keyboard.
- Later, you can release the “Alt” key when the system appears.
When done performing these steps, you can restart your QuickBooks Desktop and check if you are still a victim of QuickBooks error 136.
Fix 3: Open the Company Sample File
QuickBooks may throw errors due to minor bugs. By opening the company sample files, you can verify if you are able to open the files in QuickBooks. For that, you can follow these steps:
- Double click the “QuickBooks” software icon on the desktop screen. While doing so, make sure you hold down the “Ctrl” key on your keyboard.
- Keep pressing down the “Ctrl” key until you see the “No Company Open” window on your screen.
- When the “No Company Open” windows appear, click on the “Open a sample file”. This option should be located below.
- Now, you are required to choose one of the company sample files from the available options.
- Then, open the file.
After you open the company sample file, you can restart your Windows computer. If you are still facing QuickBooks error 136 after you relaunch the QuickBooks Desktop then move to the next solution.
Fix 4: Open the Company File from Another Location
By changing the file location, you can easily access the company file without conflicting QuickBooks error 136. All you are supposed to do is copy the file from its original location and then paste it to the desktop screen.
To understand each step, you can carry out the following steps:
- First of all, open the folder that contains all your company files and valuable data.
- When you reach the file location, start searching for the file with the “.QBW” extension.
- Once you find the “QBW file, click right on it.
- Then, click on the “Copy” option from the right-click context menu. Alternatively, you can just use the “Ctrl + C” keys on your keyboard.
- After that, go to your desktop screen and click right anywhere.
- Then, choose the “Paste” option from the right-click menu. You can press the “Ctrl + V” keys instead. This will move your file from the original location to the desktop screen.
- Now, until you see “No Company Open Error” on your screen, you can start your “QuickBooks Desktop” while clicking the “Ctrl” key on your keyboard.
- At this point, you can hit the “Open” button.
- Then, start browsing the file from the desktop that you can copy recently.
As you open the file from a different location, you may not encounter any error related to the company file.
Fix 5: Update QuickBooks Desktop
Intuit releases new updates for the QuickBooks program. If there is any new update available for your software, we suggest you download and install it immediately. This way you can avoid a number of minor bugs instantly.
Before going ahead, it is important to check for new updates. To check and install the QuickBooks updates, you can go through the instructions stated below:
- To get started, open the “QuickBooks” software while holding down the “Ctrl” key on your keyboard.
- Now, click on the “Help” menu.
- Go to the “Update” tab.
- Select the “Update QuickBooks Desktop” option.
- At this point, you can hit the “Update Now” option.
- Then, click the “Get Updates” button.
- Click “OK” if prompted.
Once done with these steps, you can close the window and relaunch the QuickBooks software again. If it prompts to download the updates, accept the prompts so that it can proceed with the download. Once done with the QuickBooks installation, you will not conflict with any error.
To Wind Up
QuickBooks software program is prone to unexpected errors. If you are bothered by QuickBooks error 136 then you don’t need to worry. By implementing the basic troubleshooting methods, you can resolve the error. We hope you found this guide helpful to solve error code 136 in QuickBooks.
If QuickBooks not working after Windows update, perform these methods to resolve the issue.