Sometimes QuickBooks does not start correctly after restarting QuickBooks on your system. This problem arises generally when qbw32.exe is running in background. Due to this conflict, you cannot access the QuickBooks program or your company files. Therefore, it is important to repair this error so that your system can load the QuickBooks program efficiently.
- Why QuickBooks Will Not Open on My Computer?
- How to Fix QuickBooks Won’t or Does Not Start Error?
- Method 1: QuickBooks Keep Running for Quick Startups
- Method 2: Download and Install QuickBooks Updates
- Method 3: Launch QuickBooks as an Administrator
- Method 4: Stop QBW32.exe Process in Task Manager
- Method 5: Run QuickBooks Tool Hub
- Method 6: Suppress QuickBooks Desktop
- Suppress QuickBooks Desktop When Launching the App
- Suppress QuickBooks Desktop When Opening Company File
- Method 7: Run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
- Method 8: Perform Clean Install for QuickBooks
- Method 9: Repair QuickBooks Desktop
Why QuickBooks Will Not Open on My Computer?
When QuickBooks says file is already open, it indicates that the No Company Files window is already open or qbw32.exe is running in background in the Task Manager. This causes your program and prevents you to access it properly.
You may also find different error messages on your screen. These are specified below:
- Problem: QuickBooks could not be started because it is already running the maximum number of instances.
- QuickBooks can’t start because it is already running. Only QuickBooks Accountant and QuickBooks Enterprise can open more than one company file.
- An empty QuickBooks window already exists, so QuickBooks will use that window.
If you ever encounter such issues when restarting the PC, the first action you should take is to turn off the keep QuickBooks running for Quick Startups feature.
However, there are other solutions one can try on. In the following discussion, we will provide you with the best and effective methods.
How to Fix QuickBooks Won’t or Does Not Start Error?
Before moving forward, you should reboot your computer. By doing so, you can get rid of minor bugs that are causing the QuickBooks program. After restarting your computer, you can perform other fixation methods.
For instance, turn off the keep QuickBooks running for Quick Startups feature, install new updates, sign in as an administrator, stop the QBW32.exe file, use QuickBooks Tool Hub, suppress QuickBooks Desktop, run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool, and more.
Method 1: QuickBooks Keep Running for Quick Startups
QuickBooks Quick Startup feature helps you to load the QuickBooks company files faster. This is only possible when the QuickBooks app runs in the background. If this feature is enabled, you can disable it to access the QuickBooks program. Here are the steps for that.
- Open the “QuickBooks” program.
- Then, open the “QuickBooks Company File”.
- Click on the “Edit” button.
- Select the “Preferences” option.
- Click on the “General” icon located on the left.
- Select the “My Preferences” tab located on the top.
- Click the “keep QuickBooks running for quick startups” feature to select it.
- Hit the “OK” button.
After implementing these steps, you can close your QuickBooks program and restart your computer. This should solve the error by now. Yet you find any issues due to which QuickBooks won’t start, then you can try on other solutions.
Method 2: Download and Install QuickBooks Updates
Before upgrading the QuickBooks version, one has to check the current version of their program. For that, you can launch QuickBooks Desktop and press the F2 key to view the Product Information page. From here, you can check the current release and version.
Once identified, you can continue browsing the new release based on your QuickBooks version. To update the QuickBooks program, you can do the following:
- Close your QuickBooks program if it is opened.
- Then, keep pressing the “Ctrl” key on your keyboard until you find QuickBooks open on the computer.
- Now, go to the “Help” button.
- Click the “Update QuickBooks Desktop”.
- Select the “Update Now” button.
- Then, click on the “Get Updates” option.
- Hit the “OK” if prompted.
- Close “QuickBooks Desktop” and restart it.
- Click “Yes” when prompted to download and install new updates.
If it is required, you can schedule automatic updates for the future. In addition, QuickBooks manual updates can also be followed. After updating the program, you can try enabling the “keep QuickBooks running for quick startups” feature and see if it works properly.
Method 3: Launch QuickBooks as an Administrator
Accessing the QuickBooks program without admin rights, it may not function or respond properly. By running QuickBooks with administrative privileges, it is possible to access the program thoroughly.
Hence, in this method, you are required to sign in to your QuickBooks account as an administrator. Here are the steps for that.
- Close “QuickBooks Desktop” if it is opened.
- Then, click on the “Windows” search bar.
- Search for “QuickBooks” using the search bar.
- Click right on “QuickBooks Desktop” when it appears in the result.
- Click on the “Run as administrator”.
- Hit the “Yes” button when you get a confirmation prompt.
This will allow you to get logged in to your QuickBooks Desktop as an administrator. If you still find issues accessing the program then you can switch to the next method.
Method 4: Stop QBW32.exe Process in Task Manager
Sometimes QuickBooks does not start because qbw32.exe running in background. If it is bothering your program then you should end the task. This can be done through the Task Manager on a Windows computer. Carry out these steps:
- Click right on the Windows “Taskbar”.
- Then, click on the “Start Task Manager”.
- Now, switch to the “Process” tab.
- Go to “Image name header” to arrange results alphabetically.
- Click on the “End Process” button.
- Then, search for the “QBW32.exe” file.
- Lastly, click on the “End Process” button.
Method 5: Run QuickBooks Tool Hub
QuickBooks Tool Hub is a multi-purpose tool that can be used to troubleshoot QuickBooks errors. If QuickBooks says file is already open but you cannot access then download QuickBooks Tool Hub in order to repair the error.
- Close QuickBooks desktop if it is opened.
- Download the “QuickBooks Tool Hub File” on your system.
- Make sure you keep the “QuickBooks tool hub .exe file” in a location where you can find it easily.
- Now, double click the “QuickBooksToolHub.exe” file in order to run it.
- Follow the on-screen prompts.
When this tool is downloaded, you can run it on your computer. For this, you need to run the Quick Fix my program. This is a tool within QuickBooks Tool Hub that can be performed from the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Launch “QuickBooks Tool Hub”.
- Click on the “Program Problems”.
- Go to the “QuickBooks Desktop” and launch your data file.
Once you start running this tool on your computer, it repairs the errors to its great extent. Once the process finishes, you can verify if the error persists.
Method 6: Suppress QuickBooks Desktop
When QuickBooks says file is already open, suppressing the QuickBooks program can be really helpful here. This will resolve issues related to the QBW32.exe file. Here are the steps for suppressing the QuickBooks Desktop when launching QuickBooks and a company file.
Suppress QuickBooks Desktop When Launching the App
- Keep on pressing the “Ctrl” key on your keyboard.
- Then, click twice on the “QuickBooks Program” icon.
- Now, hold down the “Ctrl” key until you see the “No Company Open” window on your screen.
Suppress QuickBooks Desktop When Opening Company File
- From the “No Company Open” window, select the “Company file”.
- Then, use the “Alt” key.
- Click on the “Open” button on the right.
Note: If you find a login page then you can free up the Alt key for a while to enter your login details. Later, you can hold down the Alt key again. But, if you do not see the login page, make sure that you don’t release the Alt key.
- Click the “OK” button.
This way you can suppress the QuickBooks Desktop. All you have to ensure that you don’t release the Alt key until your company files are completely open. This method will surely allow you to open QuickBooks uninterruptedly.
Method 7: Run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
If you think QuickBooks won’t start or does not start then you can try running QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool. By using this tool, you can repair several issues related to the QuickBooks program and company files. Use these steps to download and run the QBinstall tool on your device:
- Download “QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool”.
- Then, save the download file on your system.
- Now, close all the programs or windows that are currently opened. Then, launch “QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool”.
The whole process can take up to 20 minutes. Once it completes, don’t forget to reboot your system.
Tip: Instead you can use QuickBooks Tool Hub as this is a multi-purpose tool. This will help you to fix unexpected QuickBooks errors and repair company files. All you have to do is run QuickBooks Tool Hub, select the Installation Issues tab from the left, and hit the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool button.
Method 8: Perform Clean Install for QuickBooks
If QuickBooks says file is already open, you probably won’t be able to access the program properly.
In such a situation, you can perform a clean install. Remember this will not affect your accounting data as these data are not involved in this.
To begin with this clean install process, you need to uninstall the QuickBooks Desktop, rename the QuickBooks folder, and then reinstall the compatible version of the QuickBooks program on your computer. Here are the steps for that.
Gather the Required Information
- Download QuickBooks installer depending on your QuickBooks version.
- Write down the license number of the QuickBooks program. You can find the license number on your QuickBooks software packaging or if you have bought the software online then it should be available in your emails that contain the product information.
- Besides that, write down the QuickBooks year and version.
Remove QuickBooks Desktop from Control Panel
Once done gathering all the required product information, you can continue removing the QuickBooks program from your computer:
- Type “Control Panel” in the Windows search bar.
- Click on the “Control Panel” when it appears in the result.
- Now, click on the “Uninstall a program” option.
- Go to the “Programs and Features” option.
- Then, click on the “Uninstall a Program” option.
- Now, choose the “QuickBooks” program from the available list of all programs.
- Then, hit the “Uninstall/Change” button.
- Select the “Remove” option.
- Hit the “Next” button.
After uninstalling the program, you can download it again and check if you can access the program and company files easily.
Method 9: Repair QuickBooks Desktop
QuickBooks Desktop often creates issues due to which you confront problems associated with the QBW32.exe file. Therefore, in this method, we will provide a number of ways to repair the QuickBooks Desktop. This procedure includes the following:
- Repair the “QuickBooks installation” process.
- Perform “QuickBooks clean re-installation” by using the “Clean install tool”.
- Manually repair the “Microsoft components”.
- Reinstall the Microsoft .NET Framework, Microsoft MSXML, and reinstall Microsoft Visual C++.
- Run the reboot.exe file if required.
By performing these steps, you can repair QuickBooks company files. If you are comfortable implementing these technical steps then you can ask for assistance from some experts or IT professionals.
We hope you have found the best solution to fix the errors related to the QBW32.exe file. If your QuickBooks won’t start or does not start then you can try any of the fixation methods provided above and access your program uninterruptedly.
Stuck with QuickBooks 504 gateway error? Fix this now!
I am glad you wrote this post otherwise I would not have known that installing the new QuickBooks updates can actually help to solve the error.