When you connect Commerce Sync to your QuickBooks program, it may show up an error message saying Can’t Open QuickBooks. This happens when QuickBooks already has a company file open in 2018 or 2019 versions. To open another QB company file, one has to close the file that is opened already.
Note: Only QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions and QuickBooks Accountant users have the privilege to open two company files at the same time.
If you are constantly facing an error message: QuickBooks already has a company file open in 2019 or 2018 version then you can follow our guide to find out the best repair method.
- Why QuickBooks Display Already Has a Company File Open Error Message?
- How to Fix Company File Already Open Error in 2018-2019 Version?
Why QuickBooks Display Already Has a Company File Open Error Message?
If you cannot open company files, it may happen due to the following reasons:
- QuickBooks will not open company files if another file is opened.
- The folder in which the company file is located requires permission.
- Multiple services are running in the background.
- The QuickBooks company files are corrupted or damaged.
How to Fix Company File Already Open Error in 2018-2019 Version?
By restarting the computer, you probably can access the company file. However, not every time it helps you to fix the issues. Therefore, we will discuss the best possible solutions through which you can access the company files in QuickBooks.
To get started, you can end the running task of QuickBooks, remove QuickBooks Point of Sale, turn off the QuickBooks Quick Start-up feature, open QuickBooks with admin rights, or open QuickBooks company files from a different location. Let’s get into more detail.
1: Restart Your PC
Before getting started, users should restart their computers. This often helps you to fix minor bugs affecting your QuickBooks program and company files. To do so, you can do the following:
- Click on the “Start” menu.
- Then, click on the “Power” key.
- Select the “Restart” button.
Thereafter, you can wait for your PC to get restarted and verify if you encounter a “QuickBooks already has a company file open” error message on your screen.
2: Stop QuickBooks Process using the Task Manager
If you are bothered by the “QuickBooks already has a company file open” error message then you should perform it to end the QuickBooks processes. You can do it right from the Windows Task Manager and stop the task manually or all at once. For your convenience, we are providing the instructions below:
End QuickBooks Processes Manually
- Use the “Ctrl + Shift + Esc” key combination in order to launch the “Task Manager” window.
- Now, switch to the “Details” tab.
- Click on the services from the available list. Press the “Q” key so that it can display all the results related to “QuickBooks” processes.
- Here, search for the “QBDBMgr.exe” and “QBW32.EXE” processes.
- Hit the “End Task” button located on the bottom right.
Once you stop the task related to the QuickBooks program then you can check if you can access the company files properly.
End All QuickBooks Processes At Once
In case you are unwilling to stop each QuickBooks task manually then you can end all the processes of QuickBooks at once.
- Open “Task Manager” using the “Ctrl + Shift + Esc” key combination.
- Now, switch to the “Processes” tab.
- Click on the “QuickBooks”.
- Hit the “End Task” button located on the bottom right.
After performing these steps, you can relaunch the QuickBooks program and check if you find any errors.
3: Remove QuickBooks Point of Sale
When you sync the data from your QuickBooks Point of Sale (QB POS) to the QuickBooks program, it is likely that QuickBooks will not open company file. This happens when Point of Sale does not identify the location where your company files are hosting.
Hence, in this method, we will switch to the Single-User Mode and remove the QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale. Follow these steps to understand better:
- Launch “QuickBooks Desktop”.
- Navigate through the “File” menu.
- Click on the “Utilities” option.
- Select the “Switch to Single-User Mode”.
- If it says then select “Switch to MultiUser Mode”
- Click on the “Edit” option.
- Go to “Preferences”.
- Select the “Integrated Applications”.
- Choose the “Company Preferences” option.
- Click on “QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale”.
- Hit the “Remove” button.
- Click the “OK” button.
Note: Removing QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale will not affect your previous data related to the Point of Sale that you received in your software.
4: Disable QuickBooks from Start up
Although the QuickBooks Quick Startup feature allows you to load the QuickBooks company files faster, it can come up with unexpected errors.
This happens because QuickBooks keeps on running in the background. If you disable this feature, you can get rid of unwanted errors. Here are the steps for that.
- Launch the “QuickBooks” program.
- Open the “QuickBooks Company File”.
- Go to the “Edit” button.
- Click on the “Preferences” option.
- Switch to the “General” icon located on the left.
- Click on the “My Preferences” tab located on the top.
- Clear the check for the “keep QuickBooks running for quick startups” option.
- Click the “OK” button.
After performing these steps, you can close your QuickBooks program and restart your computer. This will help you to get rid of the “QuickBooks already has a company file open in 2019 or 2018” error message.
5: Open QuickBooks as an Administrator
QuickBooks will not open company files if you do not have any admin rights. Therefore, it is important to run QuickBooks as an administrator. This method requires the password of your admin; make sure you add the correct password.
- Close “QuickBooks Desktop” if it is opened.
- Then, go to the “Windows” search bar.
- Search for “QuickBooks Desktop” and open it.
- Here, make sure you select the “Run as administrator” option.
- Hit the “Yes” button when you get a confirmation prompt.
This will allow you to sign in to QuickBooks Desktop as an administrator. If you still encounter issues accessing the company files then you can move to the next method.
6: Rename ND and TLG Files
Network Data (ND) and Transaction Log (TLG) files are used to run company files in QuickBooks. If you find the “QuickBooks already has a company file open” error message, you can rename the TLG and ND files.
Before you move forward, make sure you close all the tabs that are opened on all the devices.
- Open the QuickBooks company file from its default location: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company File.
- Then, find the file related to the “TLG” or “ND” file extension.
- Once found, click on the file and click right on it.
- Select the “Rename” option.
- Now, add “Old” at the end of the file extension.
- Click the “Yes” button.
- Follow the same steps for renaming the “ND file”.
After changing the file names, you can close the folder. This will automatically create ND and TLG when you access the company files.
7: Move the QuickBooks Company File to a Different Location
If QuickBooks already has a company file open in 2019 or 2018 then you can move your QuickBooks company file to a new folder. By changing its location, you can easily access company files. Here is how to do this:
- Click right on your desktop screen and click on the “New Folder”.
- Now, open the location where your QuickBooks company files are saved.
- From here, you can copy the company file. You can use the “Ctrl + C” keys.
- Now, open the “New Folder” you just created and paste the file using the “Ctrl + V” keys.
- Now, hold down the “Ctrl” key until the “No Company Open” window appears on your screen.
- Click on the “Open a Company File”’ option.
- Click the “Next” button.
- Now, browse the new folder in which you stored the company file.
- Click the “Open” button.
This way you can open the QuickBooks company file from the new file location. This should be noted that you follow this method on a computer where your QB company file is hosted.
To Wind Up
Users often find issues accessing the QuickBooks company files. This may happen when other files are already opened or the file requires permission. If you find an error message such as QuickBooks already has a company file open in 2018 or 2019 version then you can easily fix this by following our guide.
Here, we have provided a number of solutions that will help you to access company files with no interruption.
If your QuickBooks Desktop does not start because qbw32 exe running in background then read this guide to repair the error.