A lot of QuickBooks users find issues while opening the accounting software especially after updating the Windows system. It shows a message “QuickBooks not working after Windows update” on the screen. Why does it happen that QuickBooks stops functioning after you update your Windows PC?
Well, the problem lies in your operating system. Once a user upgrades the version of the Windows operating system, it may corrupt or damage certain files and programs such as the hard drive and QBWUSER.INI file. By repairing such files and programs, you can make your QuickBooks work again. Read more in the following detail.
The guide explains why QuickBooks not working after Windows 10 update while providing its causes and symptoms. In addition, you will find the best troubleshooting methods to resolve the error.
- Why QuickBooks 2011 Not Working with Windows 10?
- What are the Symptoms When QuickBooks Not Working After Windows 10 Upgrade?
- Best Ways to Resolve When QuickBooks Not Working on Windows 10
Why QuickBooks 2011 Not Working with Windows 10?
Be it QuickBooks 2011 or other versions, if your accounting software program stopped working right after you upgraded the Windows version then there must be solid reasons behind it.
Here are the number of key reasons why QuickBooks not working after Windows update:
- The name of the company files is longer than the prescribed limit.
- Windows hard drive has been corrupted.
- You are using the old version of QuickBooks Desktop.
- Improper installation of QuickBooks software can also cause errors.
- QBWUSER.INI file is damaged or missing on your Windows computer.
- The Windows operating system is outdated.
Based on these causes of the error, you can decide to perform the right method. This way you can also save your time and repair the error without messing up with the operating system and QuickBooks data.
What are the Symptoms When QuickBooks Not Working After Windows 10 Upgrade?
When your QuickBooks program or Windows are infected by the errors, your computer may react strangely. For your awareness, we are showing a few signs and symptoms when QuickBooks not working after Windows update:
- The QuickBooks program starts freezing.
- You may not be able to open the QuickBooks company file.
- Windows computers will not respond to your commands.
- Keyboard and mouse input will not work.
- Your Windows system freezes frequently.
There can be other symptoms too depending on your computer and the seriousness of the error. Now that you are aware of the symptoms, you can perform the valid methods to repair the error.
Best Ways to Resolve When QuickBooks Not Working on Windows 10
When QuickBooks not working after Windows update, you can try opening the company file from another location. Running diagnostic tools such as QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool and Quick Fix my Program can be really helpful to repair the program. Besides that, you can rename or delete the QBWUSER.INI file and suppress QuickBooks Desktop to get rid of unexpected errors.
If you are not tech-savvy, you can use these methods to fix the “QuickBooks not working after Windows 10 update” error. Let’s get started!
Fix 1: Open Company File from Another Folder Location
By opening the QuickBooks company file from another folder location, you can determine if there is any problem with the company files. To perform this method, you are required to create a test folder, move the company file to the new folder, and try to access it.
Follow these steps to understand each step:
- Use “Windows + E” keys together on your keyboard.
- Here, you can start looking for the files with the .qbw file extension.
Note: If you are finding the file stored on your network server, you need to browse it to the network drive where your file is located.
- Then, click right on the file and choose the “Copy” option.
- Once done, go to the “C Drive” on your Windows computer.
- After that, click right to select a “New Folder” option.
- When you create a new folder, click right again on it to select the “Rename” option. You can then set its name as “QBTest”. This way you can recognize the folder easily.
- Now, you can open the same “QBTest” folder and click right to select the “Paste” option. You have now moved your company file to the new folder.
- After this, launch “QuickBooks’ and make sure you keep holding the “Ctrl” key until the “No Company Open” window shows up.
- At this point, click on the “Open or restore an existing company” option.
- Then, examine the “QBTest” folder in the C Drive.
- Now, you can open the file you have moved in the “QBTest” folder.
This way you can access the company data in QuickBooks. However, if you are still facing issues opening QuickBooks then you can move to the next solution.
Fix 2: Delete or Rename QBWUSER.INI File
Due to the corrupted or missing QBWUSER.INI file, your QuickBooks program may not function properly. Hence, deleting or renaming the QBWUSER.INI file can help you to resolve the error.
- Use “Windows” + “E” keys together.
- Then, go to the “Organize” tab from the top left.
- Click the “folder and search” option.
- Hit the “View” button.
- From the “Advanced Setting”, click on the “Hidden files and folders”.
- Select the “Show hidden files and folders”.
- Press the “OK” tab.
- Now, navigate through the following location:
- My computer -> C: drive -> Documents -> [your username] -> Local settings -> Application data -> Intuit -> QuickBooks
- After that, click right on the “QBWUSER.INI” file.
- At this point, you can either “Delete” or “Rename” the file.
Once you do so, you will not face problems related to the QBWUSER.INI file. After this, you can launch QuickBooks and check if you can access it properly.
Fix 3: Run Quick Fix My Program
Quick Fix my Program is a tool that can be accessed from the QuickBooks Tools Hub. By running this tool, you can fix several issues affecting your QuickBooks program. To get started with this method, first, you will have to download and install QuickBooks Tools Hub on your computer. Then, you can access the Quick Fix my Program to repair the error.
Note: Make sure you download the QuickBooks Tools Hub based on the version of your QuickBooks software.
- Once the “QuickBooks Tools Hub” is installed, you can open it.
- Go to the “Program Problems” component from the left menu.
- Then, click on the “Quick Fix my Program”.
By doing so, the tool will shut down the processes lingering in the background. Within a minute, it will repair your program.
Fix 4: Launch QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
A diagnostic tool also helps you to spot the error and repair it in time. QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool is one of the smart tools that fix errors when QuickBooks not working with Windows 10.
The same can be used from QuickBooks Tools Hub. All you have to go through the following suggestions:
- Open the “QuickBooks Tools Hub” installed on your Windows computer.
- Click on the “Installation Issues” component from the left menu.
- Select the “QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool” button.
As you do so, the tool will start doing its work. The entire process can take up to 20 minutes. In the meantime, it detects the error affecting your program and repairs them automatically.
Fix 5: Suppress QuickBooks Program
Suppressing QuickBooks Desktop is a way to rectify errors in QuickBooks company files. All you are required to hold down the Ctrl key while opening the No Company Open screen. Thereafter, you can open the company file.
Let’s show you how these steps can be performed:
- Hold down the “Ctrl” key.
- Then, double-click on the “QuickBooks software” icon.
- Make sure you don’t leave the “Ctrl” key until you see the “No Company Open” window opened.
- Now, you can click on the “Company file”.
- Press the “Open” button.
By implementing these steps, you can find out the issue with the company file. Thereafter, you can repair the company file to avoid errors.
If QuickBooks not working with Windows 10 because you updated your operating system then you can implement the best possible troubleshooting methods. Opening company files from other locations and running the QuickBooks diagnostic tools will surely help you to repair the error. In addition, we have provided other ways to repair such errors. Make sure that you run QuickBooks Desktop to verify the error.
QuickBooks may also show other errors. If you want to Delete Budget in QuickBooks then you can use these methods to repair them.