The QuickBooks 504 gateway error is one of the most common errors that you may confront while trying to access the accounting platform. It occurs when the server does not receive any response in a timely manner from the other server. This issue is temporary in most cases.
However, if you are constantly facing this error and unable to access QuickBooks Online then the following guide will come in handy. So let’s know what you can do to repair the 504 gateway timeout in QuickBooks Online.
What is QuickBooks 504 Gateway Error?
QuickBooks 504 gateway error is an HTTP status code. This is a Timeout Error which indicates that the server did not get a response from another server in a timely manner. Due to this error code, you cannot visit the QuickBooks website.
The primary cause of error 504 gateway timeout in QuickBooks Online is the incorrect internet settings, DNS settings, and firewall settings. By configuring these settings, you can easily eliminate this error and access QuickBooks Online with no interruption.
Types of 504 Gateway Timeout in QuickBooks Online
Website developers are allowed to personalize 504 errors (Gateway Timeout Error). However, the code will be the same (504). To be more accurate, we are listing different types of 504 errors.
- 504 Gateway Timeout
- 504 error
- HTTP 504
- HTTP errors 504 – Gateway Timeout
- Gateway Timeout blunders
- Gateway Timeout (504)
When you try to access QuickBooks Online, you may confront any of the specified error codes. If you find such an error, you can resolve it following our guide.
Fix QuickBooks 504 Gateway Error with 9 Effective Methods
Gateway error can be temporary as this happens due to technical reasons. Visiting the website after a while can load the page correctly. However, there are times when the error stays on the screen. If that is the case, you can implement basic troubleshooting steps.
For instance, you can reconnect the modem or router, check the proxy settings, adjust firewall settings, and change the DNS server IP address. Such methods will surely help you to repair the error so that you can access QuickBooks Online.
1: Refresh or Reload the Page
The first step you can opt for is to refresh or reload the screen. Pressing the F5 key can be helpful to refresh your desktop screen. Also, reload the URL opened in your web browser. It may load the page correctly. But, if you still encounter QuickBooks 504 gateway error then you can switch to other methods.
Note: The Gateway Timeout error can be temporary. So, you can wait for a while and come back to check the server.
2: Restart the Devices
By reconnecting your devices, you can fix a number of minor problems related to the internet. All you have to do is power off the modem, router, or other peripherals connected to your computer. Later, you can connect all the networking hardware to your device and check if the error persists.
Special Tip: You can also try to log in to your QuickBooks Online using some other browser. Or, you can try accessing your account using Incognito mode. If you can easily access the website then you should clear cache and cookies and configure internet settings.
3: Review Your Proxy Settings
Another method to remove the error 504 gateway timeout in QuickBooks Online is to check the proxy settings. This can be done via Windows Settings. All you have to do is open the Settings app on your computer and switch to the Proxy tab on the left. Here, you need to make sure that the proxy settings are correct.
Note: Not all computers may have this Proxy settings feature. If your system does not have this option, you can skip this method.
4: Configure Firewall Settings
If your firewall settings are incorrect, it may lead to an error 504 gateway timeout in QuickBooks Online. This happens when you have not added any inbound or outbound rules due to which the firewall does not help you to access the website.
Hence, in this method, we will show how to add exceptions by creating Inbound Rules and Outbound Rules in Windows Firewall settings. Follow these steps:
- Click on the “Start” button.
- Search for the “Windows Firewall” using the search bar.
- Click on the “Windows Firewall” when it appears in the result.
- In the “Advanced Settings”, click right on the “Inbound Rules” option.
- Click on the “New Rule”.
- Now, click the “Next” button located under the “Programs” section.
- Then, select “This Program Path”.
- Now, choose a file location for QuickBooks.
- Click the “Next” button.
- Choose the “Allow the Connection”.
- Click the “Next” button
- Ensure that all the options are checked.
- Then, click “Next”.
- Type the name for your new rule.
- Click the “Finish” button.
After adding the inbound rule, users are required to follow the same steps for adding an outbound rule. All you have to choose the Outbound Rules option in the Advanced Settings.
5: Check DNS Settings
If you recently changed your host servers or shifted your website to some other IP address then it may create a problem browsing QuickBooks. Hence, you should make sure that you check the DNS settings and configure them if required.
- Open the “Control Panel”.
- Go to the “Network and Internet”.
- Click on the “Network and Sharing Center”.
- Click the “Change adapter settings” button.
- Now, choose the connection for which you prefer to configure the DNS. For example:
- If you have to adjust the Ethernet connection, click right on the “Ethernet interface” and choose the “Properties” option.
- If you use a Wireless connection then click right on the “Wi-Fi” interface and choose the “Properties” option.
Note: If prompted then you can enter the password. In case you forgot the password recovery it with QuickBooks Password Reset Tool.
- Here, click on the “Networking” tab.
- Under the “This connection uses the following items” section, you need to click on the “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). You may also select the “Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6).
- Click the “Properties” option.
- Select the “Advanced” tab.
- Choose the “DNS” tab.
- In case you find any other IP addresses mentioned then you should note them for further reference. Once noted, delete them from here.
- Hit the “OK” button.
- Now, choose the option: Use the following DNS server addresses. If you find any IP addresses in the “Alternate DNS server” or “Preferred DNS server” then you can note them down in case you need them in the future.
- Here, replace these addresses with Google DNS servers IP addresses:
- IPv6: 2001:4860:4860::8888 and/or 2001:4860:4860::8844.
- IPv4: 220.127.116.11 and/or 18.104.22.168.
- IPv6-only: Instead of using IPv6 addresses, you can use Google Public DNS64.
After implementing these steps, you can test the setup if it is working fine. You can also repeat these steps in case you wish to change DNS for other network connections.
Tip: In case you do not find these methods effective enough then you can connect with the website administrator or developer so that they can fix the issue or tell you what exactly happened with the website.
To Sum Up
There can be more Gateway Timeout errors that are similar to QuickBooks 504 gateway errors. It can be error 500 (Internet Server Error), 503 (Service Unavailable Error), and 502 (Bad Gateway Error), and others.
If you ever come across this error, you can rectify it by diagnosing the cause of it. Generally, refreshing the page or reconnecting the hardware networking devices can be helpful. Besides that, you can perform other repairing methods that we have already provided.
In case you are wondering what is the gear icon on QuickBooks and how to fix it when it disappears on your screen, read this helpful guide.