QuickBooks company data file contains all the essential information related to your business. Hence, it is recommended to take a backup and save the file on your computer. By default, the company data file can be located in the Quickbooks Data File location on a Windows computer. However, most users have no clue about this and thus they come up with a question “where is the QuickBooks data file stored”.
If you have the same query, you are on the right platform. Here, we will show you the easy steps to find the QuickBooks company file. In case you are still not able to find the QuickBooks company file location or folder, we have an alternative solution for this. Continue reading to know more about where is the QuickBooks data file location.
Where is QuickBooks Data File Stored?
To locate the most recent backup or company data, you can use the Windows search bar from the Start menu. By using the search bar, you can view the timestamp, file size, and date to find the most current backup. Make sure you add the asterisk (*) sign before the file extension. This will help you to search for the data file correctly.
To find out the answer for “where are QuickBooks data files stored”, you can go through the following steps:
- Click on the Windows “Start” menu to open the search bar.
- When you see the “Search programs and files” box, you can start searching for “.qbb for QuickBooks”. Alternatively, you can look for the “.qb for QuickBooks” to get both working company data and backup files. Remember that the QB working company file has a “.qbw” extension(Open QBW File without QuickBooks).
- As you complete your search, make sure you write the notes of the items which are as follows:
- The file size of data.
- The location of the company data file.
- Also, the column “Date Modified”. This column will let you know the last date when your file was open or touched. But, if you signed in to the old file using the password then this file will show the current date.
- Now, close the “QuickBooks Desktop”.
- After that, click twice on the “File Name”. Alternatively, you can press the “File” icon. The icon will have the recent timestamp and will be the largest in size.
- Now, it is also important to make sure that you have chosen the right file. For this, you can run the “Custom Transaction Detail” report. Make sure you run it for all dates. This will show you the last transaction added to the “QuickBooks Desktop”:
- Go to the “Reports” menu.
- Then, click on the “Custom Reports” option.
- Select the “Transaction Detail” option.
Please Note: In QuickBooks Desktop, the default Quickbooks Company File Location is “C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files”. From this location, you can locate the company file by selecting the appropriate year or version of the QuickBooks software your file uses.
What If You Can’t Find the File or Folders?
There can be occasions when you are unable to locate the file or folder using the Windows Search bar. This happens when certain files or folders are hidden. If you are thinking “where is the QuickBooks data file stored”, you should first display the hidden files so that you can locate them easily. In the following discussion, you will find out the ways to display the hidden and search for the files and folders. You can follow these steps based on the Windows version you are using:
Display the Hidden Files or Folders on Windows 10
- Open the “File Explorer. For this, you can go to the Windows “Desktop” screen or choose the “System Tray” to choose the “Folder” icon.
- Now, click on the “View” tab.
- Here, you can click on the “Hidden Items”. This will show you the files and folders you were unable to locate before.
Display the Hidden Files or Folders on Windows 8, 8.1
- Press the “Windows + E” keys together on your keyboard. This will open the “File Explorer”.
- Then, switch to the “View” tab.
- Here, you can select the “File extensions” as well as the “Hidden items” option.
Locate the Files on Windows 10, 8, or 8.1
- Open the “Windows Explorer” by pressing the “Windows + E” keys together.
- After this, press the “Ctrl + F” keys to open the “Search Box”.
- Here, you can search for the file:
- If you don’t know the name of your file, you can enter a few keywords as well.
- If you only remember the file extension then make sure you add the “asterisk ()” sign before the file name such as “.qbw” to open the “QuickBooks Data file. By adding the “*.doc”, you can locate the “Microsoft Word documents” option.
As you perform these steps, you will see all the hidden files and folders in Windows File Explorer. Please note that the same file names can be displayed in several folders or directories. You may also spot the same file several times with file extensions.
You can easily find the QuickBooks backup file on your Windows computer. All you have to do is use the Windows Search bar and check the timestamp, date, and file size to see the currency backup file. If you are unable to spot the QuickBooks data file location because they are hidden then you need to display the hidden items on Windows first. Later you can locate the QuickBooks company file location or data.
If you want to open QuickBooks file without using QuickBooks or change date format, the following guides will be helpful for you: