The QBX file is basically the accountant’s transfer copy of QuickBooks. Generally, the file with the QBX extension cannot be modified. However, by converting the QBX file to some other format, one can easily open the file in QuickBooks. For instance, if you convert QBX to QBA format, QuickBooks allows you to view the content from the QBX file. Since the QBA file is the main accountant’s copy format so you can make changes to it. To know the entire concept, learn with us how to open a QBX file in QuickBooks 2016, 2017, and other versions.
Furthermore, we will show you the ways to open the QBX file without QuickBooks and how you can remove the restrictions from the file.
- What Do You Understand by QuickBooks QBX File Extension?
- How Do I Open a QBX File in QuickBooks?
- Option 1: Open a QBX File in QuickBooks from the No Company Open Window
- Option 2: Convert QuickBooks QBX File Extension in Desktop Premier Version 2018
- Option 3: Open QBX File without QuickBooks
- How to Remove Restrictions from the File?
What Do You Understand by QuickBooks QBX File Extension?
When you create a backup of the QuickBooks company file for your accountant, this file is assigned with QBX file extension by QuickBooks. The QBX file makes the process easier when the tax period arrives. The file with QBX extension is basically a portable company file that can be exported and sent to the account. As the backup file is opened, it becomes the accountant’s copy file.
QuickBooks uses other file types such as QBB, QBW, QBA, and more. Every file format is used for different accounting tasks. QBX file can be used when the data is damaged and the backup file is not available. Hence, you refer to the accountant copy which is also a backup file but with QBX extension. However, it is not allowed to modify the QBX file.
Yet, if you want to open the QBX in QuickBooks or without QuickBooks, we have techniques for the same so you can make changes to the QBX QuickBooks file. Read on to know how to open QBX file in QuickBooks 2016 and 2017.
How Do I Open a QBX File in QuickBooks?
The QBX file is restricted to adding journal notes and editing the content. If you have received the QBX file from your client, you cannot access it until you convert it to the other supported formats. You can convert the QBX file to QBA which is a regular accountant’s copy or QBW file which is a company file format.
To convert the QBX QuickBooks file to other formats, you can perform different methods. For instance, the QBX file can be opened from the No Company Open screen or convert the file within QuickBooks. You can also use the Excel sheet if you want to open the QBX file without QuickBooks. Continue following these methods to find out how to open a QBX file in QuickBooks 2016 or other versions.
Important Note: Before you convert the QBX file, it is important to take a backup of your files. In case of any damage, you can restore the data using the backup files.
Option 1: Open a QBX File in QuickBooks from the No Company Open Window
This method uses a very simple technique. Here, we will convert the QBX file to the QBW file format. This will allow you to see the content from the QBX file in the QBW file. Let’s read how to open a QBX file in QuickBooks 2016, 2017, and other versions with detailed steps:
- Launch the “QuickBooks Desktop” on your computer.
- Then, open the “No Company Open” screen.
- Click on the “File” menu.
- After this, select the “Send Company File” option.
- Go to the “Accountant’s Copy”.
- Here, you can convert your “Accountant’s Copy” to the “QBW” (company file).
- Then, you can look for the “Accountant’s Copy” file. Once found, select the file that you wish to convert. Make sure the accountant copy file has QBA or QBX extension.
- Now, press the “Open” button.
- When you see the dialog box stating the limitations and details about the process, you can click the “OK” button to continue.
- Thereafter, move to the “QuickBooks File” screen.
- Here, you can add the file name in the “Name” section. Make sure you also add the location of your copy that is going to be created.
- Once done, save your file as “QBW”.
- When you receive the confirmation prompt, select the “OK” button to agree.
- After that, you will receive the new “QBW” file.
You have now successfully converted the QBX file to the QBW file. This should be noted that once you convert the file, you will not be able to import the changes from the accountant to the new file.
Option 2: Convert QuickBooks QBX File Extension in Desktop Premier Version 2018
If you are a user of QuickBooks Desktop Premier Edition 2018 then you can convert the QBX to QBW file format. Here are the steps for the same:
- To get started, open the “QBX” or “QBA” file.
- Then, navigate to the “File” menu.
- After this, click on the “Send Company File” option.
- Select the “Accountant’s Copy”.
- Click the “Convert Accountant’s Copy to Company File (QBW)”.
- Press the “OK” button.
- Once done, modify the location where you wish to keep your converted QBW file.
- Later, you can click the “Save” button.
- Press the “OK” button to finish the steps.
As you convert the QBX to QBW file format, you can access the file from the location where you have saved it.
Option 3: Open QBX File without QuickBooks
The QBX file cannot be modified directly and thus it needs to be converted into other formats such as QBW. But, what if you have to open QBX file without QuickBooks? To make this possible, you can use a different source such as an Excel sheet. Let us show you in detailed steps:
- To get started, open the “Excel” sheet.
- Then, click on the “File” menu.
- After this, select the “Import” button.
- Choose the “From Other Sources” option.
- When you see the “Import” page, select the “QBB” file and convert it to Excel.
- After this, you can search for the “QBB” file.
- Then, open the same file.
As you perform the aforementioned steps, the file successfully converts from QBX to QBW (regular company file).
How to Remove Restrictions from the File?
As specified before, you will not be able to import the changes from the accountant to the new file once you have converted the file. This is because the file has restrictions set by the accountant. However, if you want to import changes to the file after the conversion, you can pursue the following steps:
- First of all, open the QuickBooks company file.
- Then, select the “Accountant’s Copy”.
- Choose the “Remove Restrictions” option.
- In case you don’t find this option, then select the “Clients activities”.
- Now, select the “Remove restrictions”.
- When you receive the pop-up, make sure you click the “Yes” button.
- Press the “OK” button.
By performing these steps, you can easily remove restrictions from the QBW file. Thereafter, you can make the required changes to the file.
To Sum Up
QuickBooks provides company data or backup files with different file extensions. QBX file is a type of company file that you keep with the accountant. If you are unable to access or edit this file due to restrictions then convert the QBX file to QBA format. If required, you can remove the restrictions to import the changes to the newly converted file. We hope you understood how to open a QBX file in QuickBooks 2016, 2017, and other versions.
If you want to upload the budget file or open QuickBooks file from one edition to another then the following guides would be helpful for you:
- How to Open QuickBooks Enterprise File in QuickBooks Premier?
- How to Upload Budget into QuickBooks?