QuickBooks software comes up with smart features to ease business operations. Hosting Mode is one of the useful features that enables users to host the same company file on several computers. Hence, different users can have access to the same company file once hosted. This idea helps to boost productivity as your whole team can perform different operations on the file at the same time. To get this job done, all you require is to enable the Multi-User Mode. In case you have no idea how to turn on hosting mode in QuickBooks, we will guide you. Let’s read ahead!
In this discussion, you will learn how to turn on hosting mode in QuickBooks. While enabling QuickBooks hosting mode, if you encounter any error, we have solutions for that so that you can host your files uninterruptedly.
What Do You Understand by QuickBooks Hosting Mode?
QuickBooks hosting is a condition where the primary computer system that has the company file stored (also known as a host) can let other systems use that same company file. To manage the access of such company files, the following services can be used:
- QuickBooks 2018- QuickBooksDB28
- QuickBooks 2017- QuickBooksDB27
- QuickBooks 2016- QuickBooksDB26
Furthermore, there are different types of hosting modes for QuickBooks programs. It includes three hosting services as Dedicated Hosting, Alternate Hosting, and Peer to Peer Hosting. All these hosting services have different responsibilities to host the file. If you are willing to know how to turn on hosting mode in QuickBooks, continue reading the guide.
How to Enable QuickBooks Hosting Mode?
To enable the hosting mode, one has to go through the Company menu and set up the user to whom you want to give access. Once you add the user, you can decide what type of access you want to give to the user.
To know more, learn how to turn on hosting mode in QuickBooks with step by step instructions:
- Launch “QuickBooks Desktop” on your computer. Make sure the accounting software is up to date to avoid any conflicts with the hosting.
- Then, go to the main menu bar and select the “Company” option.
- Here, you need to click on the “Set Up Users and Passwords” using the drop-down menu.
- Now, select the “Set Up Users” option from the list.
- In a new window, you will see the “User List”.
- If it is the first time you are using this feature, you can see the “Admin” page in the list.
- On the right, you will see several tabs. From here, you are required to click the “Add Users” tab.
- When a new window displays, you will have to set up a user password and access.
- In the “User Name” column, you can enter the name of the user who you wish to add for hosting the file.
- Once selected, add the password and confirm it.
- Make sure you don’t check the box that says “Add this user to my QuickBooks license”.
- Now, you can hit the “Next” button.
After you set the user, you will find different types of areas (accesses) that you are supposed to select for your user. These types of accesses are as follows:
- All areas of QuickBooks allow users to perform actions with no restrictions.
- An external accountant is the type of access that will give access to the selected users except for the customer data or credit card numbers.
- Selected areas access allows you to give access to the users based on the choices you have made for them.
Depending on what type of access you provide to the users, they can check the details. However, if you select the Selected Areas as a type of user’s access then you will follow these steps:
- Press the Next button.
- When you see the different modules, such as Sales and Accounts Receivables, you can select No Access or Full Access options, With Selective Access, you can decide what you want your user to access in QuickBooks.
- As you find different modules, you can select the options based on your preferences.
- Then, hit the “Finish” button.
When you are done setting the access for the selected users, your user can view only the data they are allowed to (whether it is for all areas or selected areas).
What If QuickBooks Hosting Mode Is Off?
The host system helps users to access the company file through QuickBooks. However, in some instances, users may find difficulties while accessing the file. This happens when the QuickBooks hosting mode is off. In such a scenario, you should track the server as a network drive for all the workstations.
Furthermore, you should set up the Multi-user mode and make sure that the company file is saved in a shared folder. Please note, you have to install the QuickBooks Data Server utility based on your QuickBooks version. After configuring the QB server for multiple users, you can check if you are facing any errors. If so, then you are required to enable Network Discovery. Here are the steps for this:
Method 1: Enable Network Discovery Mode
Network Discovery mode works like an alternate method that can be used for a better experience. This option can be seen when you open the company file through the UNC path. Windows computers will also confirm if the Password Sharing option is enabled or not. After you log in with the network password, you can follow these steps to enable the Network Discovery option.
- Go to the “Control Panel”.
- Then, click on the “Network Sharing Center” option.
- After this, press the “Change Advanced Sharing” setting.
- Now, you can open the profile you are currently using.
- Once done, go to the “Network Discovery”.
- Then, choose the “Turn on Network Discovery” option.
- Here, you can look for the “Password protected sharing” option.
- Now, hit the “Turn Off password protected sharing” option.
- Press the “Save changes” option.
This is how you can enable the Network Discovery option. The same procedure should be followed on other systems to avoid hosting issues.
Method 2: Open the Company File
If you are bothered by the “QuickBooks Hosting Mode is Off” error then you can open or restore the company files with the valid extension (qbw). To understand better, carry out the following steps:
- Click on the QuickBooks “File” menu.
- Then, select the “Open or Restore Company File” option.
- Here, you can search for the company file location.
- Make sure you open the file with the “.qbw” extension.
- Hit the “Open” button.
In case you see any prompt, enter the login details to access the company file. By opening the company file with admin rights, you will not conflict with any errors.
In a Nutshell
QuickBooks Multi-User mode has a few benefits such as boosts up productivity as multiple users can work on the same file at the same time. If you have not enabled this feature, we have shared the steps for how to turn on hosting mode in QuickBooks. In case you face any issues while turning this feature on, we recommend you enable network discovery mode and open the company file with the .qbw extension.
If you are facing other types of errors in QuickBooks, we have more helpful guides for you. Follow these links: