QuickBooks lets you add, edit, and manage the bills or pay bills. However, in some instances, you may want to delete the bills in QuickBooks. To make it happen, you just need to locate the bill and delete it. There can be different ways to locate the bill in QuickBooks Online and Desktop. Therefore, in this guide, we will show you different methods on how to delete a bill in QuickBooks Online & Desktop.
How Do I Delete a Bill in QuickBooks Online?
In QuickBooks Online, there are numerous ways to find the bill and delete it. For example, you can locate the bill from the Bill window and delete it. You can also delete the bill without opening it, from Online Bill Pay, or remove the bills completely from Online Bill Pay and QuickBooks Online. Here, we will show you how to delete a bill in QuickBooks Online in different ways. Read the details and implement the steps carefully:
Method 1: Delete the Bill Using the Bill Window
To delete the bills from the Bill window, you need to open the bill from the Bill window. You can do this in different ways. For instance, you can open the bill from the Accounts Payable register, Expense Transactions, or from the report. Thereafter, you can remove the bill and save changes. Here are the detailed steps:
- First of all, you need to open the bill by following any of the two methods:
- Expense Transactions List
- Open the “Expenses” menu from the left.
- Then, open the “Expense Transactions” list to choose the relevant bill.
- Accounts Payable Register
- Open the “Chart of Accounts” & select the “Accounts Payable” register.
- Here, find the bill and select it within the report.
- Expense Transactions List
- Move to the “Bill” screen, click on the “More” button located at the bottom.
- Choose “Delete” using the pop-up menu.
- If prompted, click the “Yes” button to confirm your action.
As you perform these steps, the bill is deleted from the Bill window. If there are more bills you wish to delete then follow the same ways as specified above.
Method 2: Delete the Bill Using without Opening the Bill
QuickBooks lets you delete the bill without even opening the bill. You can do this through the Expenses screen. All you need to do is locate the bill from the Expenses tab and then select the Delete option from the Action column. Let us show you how to delete a bill in QuickBooks Desktop:
- Navigate through the “Expenses” menu.
- Then, click on the “Expenses” tab.
- Here, find the bill that needs to be deleted.
- Once done, go to the “Action” column.
- Then, select “Delete” using the drop-down option
As you implement these steps, the bill is deleted without even opening it. This is quicker than the previous one. However, you can implement any of the methods depending on your choice.
Method 3: Remove the Bills in Online Bill Pay
As you remove the bill, it will not appear in the Online Bill Pay but remains in the Expenses tab in QuickBooks Online. To remove the bills completely, you can perform the following steps:
- Login to the “QuickBooks Online” account.
- Then, open the “Pay Bills Online” page. For this, you can opt for any of the following ways:
- Click on the “+New” menu and click on the “Pays Bills Online”.
- Choose the “Bill Pay Online” widget on the dashboard.
- Or, you can click on the “Expense” tab and select the “Pay Bills Online” option
- Now, open the bill that you wish to remove.
- After this, click the “Batch actions” option.
- Click on the “Remove from Bill Pay” option.
- Choose the appropriate option to remove the bill from the “Bill Pay”. Remember this option will not affect the data in “QuickBooks Online”.
- Then, hit the “Remove” button.
You can also do this through the Manage Vendors tab. All you have to do is toggle the Pay Bills option in Bill Pay to the off mode for a particular vendor.
Method 4: Delete the Bills in Online Bill Pay
You can also delete the bill from QuickBooks Online and Pay Bills in QuickBooks Online permanently. For this, you are required to pursue the following steps:
- Select the “Pay Bills Online”.
- Then, start selecting the bills you need to delete.
- Click on the “Batch actions” option.
- Select the “Delete” button
This is how you can delete multiple bills in both Online Bill Pay and QuickBooks Online. Remember this option also selects the bills that are inactive and not syncing with Bill Pay.
How Do You Delete a Bill in QuickBooks Desktop?
In some instances, your bill might be recorded as paid, however, you have to void your check payment because of certain issues. For instance, if the vendor has not received the check, you may need to void or delete the bill & bill payment check. Here, we will show you how to delete a bill in QuickBooks Desktop in different ways:
Method 1: Delete the Bills/Bill Payment Check
If you want to remove the bill & bill payment check, you just need to locate the transactions and make changes to them. To edit the bills in QuickBooks, do the following:
- First of all, locate the transaction.
- Then, click the “Edit” option.
- Here, you can select the “Delete Bill or Bill Payment Check” option
This way you can delete the bills in QuickBooks Desktop. Instead of deleting the bills, you can void the bill & bill payment check.
Method 2: Delete Multiple Bills/Bill Payment Checks
If there are multiple bills or bill payment checks then you can open the accounts payable register from the Chart of Accounts (learn more for How to Rearrange Chart of Accounts and How to Delete Chart of Accounts in QuickBooks Online) menu. Thereafter, you can choose the appropriate bill and delete it. Go through the step-by-step details:
- Click on the “Lists” menu.
- Then, select the “Chart of Accounts” option.
- Click twice on the relevant “Accounts Payable” account. This will open the register.
- Now, move to the “Accounts Payable” register.
- Here, you can click on the particular bill payment check or specific bill.
- Hit the “Edit” menu.
- After this, click on the “Delete” button.
- Then, choose the “Record” option.
- Click the “Yes” button to save changes.
With these instructions, you can easily delete several bills and bill payment checks in QuickBooks Desktop.
Method 3: Delete the Unapplied Bills
If your account has some unapplied bills and you need to delete them, this can be easily done. All you are required to do is use the Unapplied Vendor Payment and Credits report. This will help you to find the payments that are not applied and then you can remove them manually. Let’s go through the following steps to understand better:
- Open the “Reports” menu.
- Then, choose the “Report Center” option.
- Search for the “Unapplied Vendor Payments and Credits” report.
- Once you find the report using the search bar, click on the “Run” option. This will display the report.
- Here, you need to locate the transactions you want to delete.
- After that, click twice on the transaction to open it.
- Use the “Ctrl + D” keys or choose the “Delete” button.
- Click the “Yes” button to confirm the action.
Now, you have successfully deleted the unapplied payments in QuickBooks Desktop. Remember you may need to undo your changes. Thus, you should always create a backup of your company file.
There can be several reasons for removing the bills in the QB account. For instance, when the bill was not received by the vendor or there are duplicate bills in your account, you may want to delete the unwanted bills. Here, we have shown you how to delete a bill in QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online. By following these different methods, you can easily remove payments that are not applied in QuickBooks.
Besides bills, if you are planning to delete bank accounts and bank feeds then don’t forget to go through these guides:
- How to Delete Bank Feed in QuickBooks Desktop?
- How to Delete a Bank Account in QuickBooks?