When you create a new bill in your QuickBooks, you may realize later that the bill requires some changes. For instance, you may need to change the quantity, rate, and wrong customer name mentioned on it. Even if the bill is paid, you may have to make certain changes to the invoice. Therefore, in this guide, we want to highlight how to edit bills in QuickBooks Online.
Furthermore, you will learn to edit the bill template, paid bills, payments, and the wrong invoice status in QuickBooks. Let’s read in detail.
How to Edit a Bill in QuickBooks?
If you want to make certain changes to the invoice, you can do this effortlessly. All you have to do is to open the invoice and apply the necessary changes. Make sure you save the invoice after making changes. Let’s follow the steps to learn how to edit bills in QuickBooks Online:
- Navigate to the “Sales” or “Invoicing” option located on the left.
- Then, switch to the “Invoices” tab.
- Here, you need to scroll down a little and find the invoice you want to edit.
- Once found, click on the invoice and apply the required changes to it.
- After that, you can click on the “Save & Close” button. You can also choose the “Save & Send” button if you want to send the invoice right away.
By following the aforementioned steps, you can easily edit your bills in your QuickBooks account. Remember these steps can also be performed for Estimates, Expenses, and other types of transactions.
How to Edit Bill Template in QuickBooks?
Instead of changing specific details, you can customize the whole bill template. This will make your invoice look more professional in terms of design and content. Let’s find out how to edit bill template in QuickBooks Online:
- In “QuickBooks”, click on the “Sales” menu.
- Select the “Invoices” option located on the left.
- When the invoice screen displays, you will see all the invoices you have created so far.
- After that, click on the invoice you wish to customize.
- When the “Edit Invoice” window displays, you will see the options to customize the “Design”, “Content”, and “Emails”:
- The design is usually set by default, however, you can change it by clicking on the “Change up the template” button.
- Also, you can change the font style, color, and size.
- If required, you can change the print settings as well.
- If you want to change the content then switch to the “Content” tab and click the “Pencil” icon to apply changes.
Similarly, you can make other changes to the bill template. By customizing the template, you can make your invoice impressive. All you just have to do is set your own ideas for the invoice and send it to the customer.
How Do I Edit a Paid Bill in QuickBooks?
Sometimes, you might have to change the bill details even if it is paid. So, if you have received the payment and you want to make some changes to the bill, you can do it. However, you need to keep in mind that changing the bill details after you receive the payment might affect some reports in your QBO.
Yet if you want to edit the details of the bill that has been paid already then follow these instructions given below:
- First of all, you need to open your invoice. For this, click on the “Sales” menu located on the left.
- After this, choose the invoice you wish to edit.
- Here, you can select the “Action” drop-down menu.
- Then, click on the “View/Edit” button.
- At this point, you can apply the necessary changes to the “Invoice” page.
After updating the paid bill, your bill will display the balance due along with the payment amount made on the top right. This way you can edit the bill even after it is paid.
How to Edit the Quantity and Pricing of the Items in QuickBooks?
There can be instances when you are trying to edit the quantity and pricing of the items but are unable to make it happen. This happens when the Progress Invoicing feature is enabled. If you are unable to edit the quantity of your item while converting estimates to invoices then you should disable the Progress Invoicing feature. Here are the instructions:
- Click on the “Gear” icon
- Then, select the “Account and Settings” option.
- Click on the “Sales” button located on the left.
- After this, select the “Progress Invoicing” option.
- When you see the “Progress Invoicing” section, click on the “Pencil” icon to edit the details.
- Now, remove the checkmark for the “Create multiple partial invoices from a single estimate” option. This will disable the “Progress Invoicing” option.
- Click the “Save” button.
- Select the “Done” button
By disabling the Progress Invoicing feature, you can change the item details while generating the invoices in QuickBooks Online.
How to Change the Invoice Status in QuickBooks?
If you mark the bill as paid by mistake, you may be required to edit the invoice status immediately. To correct the invoice status, you can open the invoice and mark it as unpaid from the Action dropdown. Let us help you with the detailed steps:
- Open a “QuickBooks” account.
- Then, click on the “Invoices” tab located on the left.
- From here, you can select the entry on which you are working.
- Now, click on the “View” drop-down arrow located under the “Action” columns.
- Then, select the “Mark as unpaid” option from the drop-down menus.
As you do this, the status of your invoice will be changed to unpaid. If you ever mark the bill as paid accidentally, you can follow the same procedure to change the invoice status.
How Do I Edit a Payment in QuickBooks?
Sometimes, you enter the incorrect payment that was made to the wrong person or customer. If you ever make the wrong payment for the wrong customer and they have not paid yet then you can immediately fix the wrong payment in your QuickBooks account.
- Go to the “Customer Center”.
- Then, search for the customer for whom you have applied for the payment by mistake.
- Now, click twice on the payment.
- After that, select the “Received from” option to select the correct customer.
If you want to un-receive the payment made to the wrong customer then you can perform the following steps:
- From the “Customer Center” menu, search for the customer for whom you have applied for the payment by mistake.
- Then, click right on the payment and select the “View Transaction History” option.
- Here, you can search for the deposit data and then go to the bank register to search for the deposit.
- After that, you can click right on the deposit and select the “Edit” button.
- Press the “Edit/Delete Payment” option.
- Once done, you can return to the “Customer Center” after searching the customer for whom you have made the wrong payment.
- Now, click twice on the payment and select the “Received From” drop-down option so you can select the relevant customer.
- Moving on to the home screen, select the “Record Deposits” option.
- Here, you can select the item you want to deposit.
This way the items can match bank activity. By following these steps, you can easily edit the bill payment in QuickBooks Online.
Keeping the accounting records is one of the important tasks when running a business with QuickBooks. Here, we have explained how to edit bills in QuickBooks, paid bills, wrong payments, invoice templates, and more. Do remember, changing the bill details after you receive the payment might affect some reports in your QBO.
Most users drop their questions related to QuickBooks. The following guides can help you to some extent.
- How to Backup QuickBooks to Flash Drive?
- How Do I Enter a Beginning Balance in QuickBooks?