QuickBooks users can create custom fields in reports and use them in different ways. For instance, you can add the custom fields as columns, group items, filter items, and sort items by using custom fields. However, some users confront issues when using the custom fields in reports. If QuickBooks custom fields not showing in reports, this guide is for you.
Here, we will give you a solution to solve this problem based on two different conditions. If the custom fields still don’t work for you then you can implement some repairing methods. Let’s read more for a deeper understanding.
- Learn about QuickBooks Custom Fields in Reports
- What If QuickBooks Custom Fields Not Showing in Reports?
- Condition 1: If the Custom Fields are Not Showing on the Reports
- Condition 2: If the Data in Custom Fields is Not Showing on the Reports
- How to Fix If QuickBooks Custom Fields Not Showing in Reports?
Learn about QuickBooks Custom Fields in Reports
By using custom fields in QuickBooks reports, you can perform numerous tasks. For example, you can sort, group, and filter the items very easily with the help of custom fields. In addition, you can view the transaction details by adding custom fields as a column. Let us help you with more details:
- Adding the Custom Fields as Columns: This will help you to view the key details for each line item or transaction.
- Sort Items with Custom Field: By doing so, you can organize as well as scan your reports easily.
- Group Items by Using the Custom Field: This will let you see the totals and activity for the same type in just one place.
- Filters Items with the Custom Fields: By doing this, you can find the data you are interested in.
These types of activities can be performed by using the custom fields. To access the custom fields, you can go to the Reports menu and browse for the report you want to open.
What If QuickBooks Custom Fields Not Showing in Reports?
There can be instances when you are unable to find the custom fields or they are not showing up on the reports. This happens when the custom fields are not linked to the Sales Receipt or Invoice in the Type section.
Condition 1: If the Custom Fields are Not Showing on the Reports
In order to show the custom fields on the report, you have to customize the Sales Receipt and Invoice. Follow these steps to make it happen:
- First of all, open your “Invoice”.
- Then, choose the “Customize Data Layout” option.
- After that, switch to the “Columns” tab.
- Now, search for the item you wish to display. Also, place the checkmark under the “Screen”.
- Press the “OK” button.
This is how you can display your QuickBooks invoice on the reports. For the Sales Receipt, you can switch to the Formatting tab and follow the same steps we have listed above. Now, you should see the custom fields in QuickBooks.
Condition 2: If the Data in Custom Fields is Not Showing on the Reports
In case you are not able to view the data from the custom field in the Customer’s Information in the Custom Transaction Detail report then you can implement the following steps:
- Navigate through the “Reports” menu.
- Then, select the “Custom Reports” option.
- Now, click on the “Transaction Detail” option.
- When you see the “Modify Report” box, you can scroll down through a “Columns” list and then select the custom field you created.
- If required, you can use the filter to display the customer you are searching for. For this, you can click on the “Filters” tab.
- After this, look for the “Name”.
- Press the “OK” button.
As you perform these steps, you will see the custom fields on the report as a column. You can also check what has been inputted for the field.
Important Note: Not all features of the custom fields or not all reports support the custom fields in QuickBooks.
How to Fix If QuickBooks Custom Fields Not Showing in Reports?
Even after completing the steps we mentioned above, if you are not able to view the custom fields on the report, you should execute troubleshooting methods. For instance, you can perform the Rebuild and Verify Utility, update QuickBooks Desktop, use QuickBooks Tool Hub or repair QuickBooks software.
Important Note: Before proceeding further, make sure you make a backup copy of the QuickBooks data to avoid any kind of data loss.
Fix 1: Run Verify and Rebuild Data Utility
Verify Data Utility helps you to spot the data issues in your QuickBooks company files whereas Rebuild Data Utility lets you fix the data issues found by Verify Data Utility. Have a look at the following steps to perform this method:
Verify Data Utility
- Make sure all the windows are closed.
- Then, click on the “File” menu.
- Now, select the “Utilities” option.
- Click on the “Verify Data”.
If you detect any error, then you don’t have to implement any action. However, if there are some issues with data then you need to fix this problem by running Rebuild Data Utility.
Rebuild Data Utility
- Go to the “File” menu.
- Then, select the “Utilities” option.
- Press the “Rebuild Data” option.
- When you receive the message to take a backup, click the “OK” button and save the backup file.
- As soon as the “Rebuild Data” utility starts, you can wait until you receive the confirmation message that the process has been finished.
When you are done performing the Verify and Rebuild Data utility, check the custom fields on the reports. If you are still not able to use them, try out another method.
Fix 2: Get QuickBooks Updates
Outdated accounting systems may also bring compilations to the reports due to which QuickBooks custom fields not showing in reports. To avoid such problems, make sure you update your QuickBooks Desktop to the latest version. Follow these steps:
- Launch “QuickBooks Desktop”.
- Then, press the “F2” key or “Ctrl + 1” keys together. This will launch the “Product Information” screen.
- Now, check the current version of your software.
- After this, click on the “Help” option.
- Choose the “Update QuickBooks Desktop”.
- Click on the “Update Now” tab.
- Then, choose the “Get Updates” option.
As you perform these steps, it starts downloading the new updates. Once the QuickBooks Desktop is successfully updated, you can use the custom fields on reports.
Fix 3: Repair QuickBooks Software
Besides updating the QuickBooks Desktop, you can repair the software if you are not able to access custom fields on reports. Follow these steps to repair QuickBooks Desktop:
- Select the “Windows” or “Start” menu.
- Now, open the “Control Panel”.
- Click on the “Program and Features” option.
- Then, choose “QuickBooks”.
- After this, click on the “Uninstall/Change” option.
- Press the “Continue” button.
- Click the “Next” button.
- Click on the “Repair” button.
- Press the “Next” button.
- Here, you can wait for the process to be finished.
- After clicking on the “Finish” button.
Once done, you can restart the Windows computer and check your report. You should now see the custom fields on reports.
Fix 4: Run QuickBooks Tool Hub
When no method helps you to make the custom fields accessible, you should use the QuickBooks Tool Hub. This will let you scan the program and fix the error. Here are the steps for installing the tool and repairing the error:
- Make sure “QuickBooks Desktop” is closed.
- Then, start downloading the “QuickBooks Tool Hub” file and save it on your computer where you can access the file easily.
- Once done, open the “QuickBooksToolHub.exe” file.
- Now, you can follow the instructions given on your screen and agree to the terms and conditions.
- After the installation process is finished, you can open the “QuickBooks Tool Hub” on your computer.
- Then, go to the “Program Problems” section on the left.
- Now, you can click on the “Quick Fix my Program” button.
As you do so, the tool will start scanning your QuickBooks program and repair the issues affecting the functionality of your software.
QuickBooks custom field benefits you in certain ways. If you want to sort, group, and filter the items, you can do it with the help of custom fields. However, some users find it difficult to access custom fields. If your QuickBooks custom fields not showing in reports, we have provided a number of solutions to fix the error.
In case QuickBooks not working in Chrome browser, we have prepared a dedicated guide for you.