Invoice numbers help you to recognize the transactions. QuickBooks assigns the numbers to sales forms automatically which starts with 1001. However, it’s not necessary to stick with the default numbers. You can edit and change the starting number in your invoices. To find out how to change an invoice number in QuickBooks Online and Desktop, we bring you this easy guide.
Here, we will show you how you can set the invoice number based on your preference. This can be done from the company settings, on the sales forms, and purchase orders. Read more!
- How Do I Change the Starting Invoice Number in QuickBooks?
- How to Set Own Invoice Numbering Preference in QuickBooks?
- Where Does Separate Number Sequence Appear?
- How to Change Invoice Number in QuickBooks Desktop?
How Do I Change the Starting Invoice Number in QuickBooks?
To change the invoice number, you can go to the Invoicing tab, open the invoice in question, click the Invoice Number field so that you can change it.
To make the process easy for you, we are writing down each step. See below:
- Click on the “Invoicing” or “Sales” option.
- Then, go to the “Invoices” tab.
- Choose the invoice that you need to change.
- Select the “Invoice Number” field.
- Now, change the invoice number.
- Hit the “Save and Send” or “Save and Close”.
By following these steps, you can easily change the invoice number. Make sure that after changing the invoice number, you don’t forget to hit the Save button to apply your changes.
How to Set Own Invoice Numbering Preference in QuickBooks?
As stated earlier, QuickBooks automatically assigns the invoice number starting with 1001 which you can edit in the Invoicing tab. In addition, you can set your own preference for transaction numbers.
QuickBooks allows you to turn on the custom transaction number through the settings. You can enable this feature on company settings, sales forms, and purchase orders.
Enable Custom Transaction Numbers from the Company Settings
- Go to the “Gear” icon located on the top right of the screen.
- Click on your “Company”.
- Then, choose the “Account and Settings” option.
Enable Custom Transaction Numbers on the Sales Forms
- Click on the “Sales” option.
- Then, choose the “Edit” button for the “Sales from Content” tab.
- Click on the “Custom transaction numbers” and check the box.
- Hit the “Save” button.
- Click the “Done” button.
Enable Custom Transaction Numbers on the Purchase Orders
- Click on the “Expenses” located on the left.
- Then, hit the “Edit” button for Purchase Orders.
- Click on the “Use purchase orders” checkbox.
- Choose the “Custom transaction numbers” checkbox.
- Hit the “Save” button.
Once done following these steps, you need to open the invoice or the sales form. Then, go to the Invoice no. field and add the custom number or the letter sequence that you wish to enter in your forms. But remember that the number sequence you add here will be applied to all the sales forms. One click away to know Delete Expense Transaction in QuickBooks Online.
Note: When you set up the customer numbering for your invoices, make sure you disable the Customer transaction numbers option. By doing so, you can prevent accidental changes to your invoice numbering. Moreover, disabling this option means that your Invoice no. section is hidden from the sales form. However, invoice numbers are printed for the customers.
Where Does Separate Number Sequence Appear?
The separate number sequence displays on the following:
- Sales receipts, invoices, credit memos, and refund receipts
- Delayed credits and delayed charges
- Purchase orders
How to Change Invoice Number in QuickBooks Desktop?
If you recently converted from QuickBooks Online to Desktop and you wish to continue with the same invoice numbering then you can do that. As you create the invoice, your program automatically follows the invoice numbering. To follow the number sequence, you can simply use the last number in the first invoice in your QuickBooks Online account.
But before moving forward, you need to make sure that you customize the invoice template to enter the invoice numbers.
For this process, you can open the invoice templates, go to the additional customization, and enable the invoice number option. This will help you to follow the invoice number sequence.
- Go to the “Lists” menu bar.
- Click on the “Templates” option.
- Click twice on the invoice templates.
- Go to the “Additional Customization” option.
- Mark the “Invoice Number” located under the “Header” tab. Also, ensure that you choose the “Screen and Print” column.
- Hit the “OK” button.
This will make sure that your template has customized invoice numbers. And, you can easily use the starting invoice number in your QuickBooks Desktop.
How to Reset Transaction Numbers?
In case you wish to reset the transaction numbers then you can go to the transaction numbers, remove the check, and create another transaction using a new starting number.
- Click on the “Custom transaction numbers” checkbox.
- Click the “Save” button.
- Now, prepare a transaction using the new starting numbers.
- Then, clear the checkbox for the “Custom transaction numbers”/
- Hit the “Save” button.
How Do Custom Invoice Numbers Work?
There are a few things that one should remember when you enable or disable the custom transaction number in QuickBooks.
Things to Remember When You Enable Custom Transaction Numbers
- When you create or change the transaction, you can modify the transaction numbers.
- Transaction numbers may include letters.
- You get new numbers for new transactions depending upon the last transaction.
- If you enter duplicate transaction numbers, you will be warned about this.
Things to Remember When You Disable Custom Transaction Numbers
- You cannot use the transaction numbers even if you create the number using custom transaction numbers.
- Transaction numbers are only assigned when you create the transactions.
- Transaction numbers are in sequence however it is based on the last number which starts at 1.
To Sum Up
It is quite easy to change invoice numbers assigned automatically by QuickBooks. All you have to enable the company settings, enter the custom number, and disable the option so that your QuickBooks account can recognize the number sequence depending upon your last transaction number.
Do you want to know more about QuickBooks? Check out these most-viewed guides.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Ans. Yes. You can change or edit the invoice number in both QuickBooks Online and Desktop versions.
Ans. To change the invoice number in QuickBooks Online, you need to go to Settings, enable the Customer transaction numbers, and hit the Save button.
Ans. To change the invoice numbers on the sales, you need to go to the Sales, hit the Edit button for Sales from the Content tab, select the Custom translation numbers option, and hit the Save button.