The QuickBooks error H202 can be seen when you run the multi-user mode. This mode improves functionality by enabling various users to access files. The occurrence of the H202 error can, however, restrict that access. Therefore, it becomes essential to get rid of it. You can find this mode in QuickBooks as well as its Desktop version. In either version, when the error is seen, its root cause should immediately be identified. From your network connection to your system’s server, once the cause is rectified, the H202 error code should not recur. Additionally, to fix it when experiencing, you can implement numerous measures that repair the network, server, or the said mode.
1. What is the Meaning of QuickBooks Error H202?
The company files of QuickBooks are usually placed in server computers with multi-user networks. The remaining computer systems which may be connected via the network but may not be hosting QuickBooks company files will be referred to as workstations. When one of the workstations is not able to get access to the company file stored on the other system, the QuickBooks H202 error will be the consequence of this. Thus, the error largely means that network problems have occurred.
2. Why am I Seeing the QuickBooks Error Code H202 on My System?
Usually, the error code H202 in QuickBooks can be found when this accounting software is attempting to connect with the QB company file. However, the software and server may fail to connect with each other. The connection with the server may not get established due to the factors listed below:
- The settings of the hosting configuration may not be correct.
- Secondly, the firewall of the server PC may have blocked the incoming as well as outgoing communication.
- There may be problems with the DNS server.
- The host computer’s IP address may be inaccessible to QB. Along with that, if the IP address of your company file isn’t provided to the software, then too the QuickBooks 2012 error code H202 may occur.
- Internal services of the accounting software may not be functioning properly on the server PC.
- The damaged file with the extension “.ND” could also be the culprit.
3. How Do I Fix the QuickBooks H202 Error Code?
For fixing the error H202 in QuickBooks, you can test the connectivity of your network. After testing it, you can check whether or not the services of QuickBooks are properly functioning. Along with this, you can clear the problems in the multi-user mode by using the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool. When any internal bugs are giving rise to the error H202 QuickBooks, you should repair the software or modify its company file’s location.
3.1) Fix 1: Test the Connectivity of the Network
Let’s begin with testing the connectivity of the network as the first QuickBooks H202 error fix. For testing it, you can write cmd in the space provided in the Run dialog box. After that, you can ping the name of the server. In a matter of seconds, you’ll be able to complete the testing of the network. As you improve it afterward, you will be able to eliminate the error H202.
- Access the “Search” option by tapping on the “Start Menu”.
- Input “Run”.
- Then write “cmd” in the space provided in “Run”.
- Press “Enter” to proceed.
- The workstation’s server name has to be pinged. You can write the following:
Important: While performing the fifth step, see to it that space is provided between “Ping” and the “Server Name”. Along with that, care should be taken that you do not enter brackets while entering the server name.
- Then tap “Enter”.
As the sixth step is administered, this H202 error fix will be complete. Should you find any loss of packet or observe a delayed reply, you will be required to mend the network while using the software.
3.2) Fix 2: Ensure that the QB Services are Functioning
To prevent the QuickBooks error H202 while switching to the multi-user mode, the services of the accounting software need to be running. You may wish to confirm whether these services are running. Via Run, you can open the Services window. You can locate the service titled QuickBooksDBXX by entering the Properties of this service. Then you can make Startup Type automatic and ensure that the service’s status displays Started or Running. This will give you clarity about the source of the error H202.
The same procedure has to be repeated for QBCFMonitorService. To know the steps that you’re required to do afterward, reading further will be recommended.
- Open the “Search” bar and input “Run” in it.
- Input “services.msc” in “Run”.
- Push the “Enter” key.
- The window of “Services” will display a list. Locate “QuickBooksDBXX” in it and press twice on it.
Please Note: In “QuickBooksDBXX”, “XX” will indicate the version of QB.
- In the “QuickBooksDBXX Properties”, the “Startup Type” should be set to “Automatic”.
- Ensure that “Started”/”Running” is mentioned as the “Service” status. If not, then press “Start”.
- Click on “Recovery”.
- Using “First Failure”, “Second Failure” as well as “Subsequent Failures” dropdown options, click on “Restart the Service”.
- Hit the “Apply” option.
- Then press “Ok” so that the changes are saved.
- For “QBCFMonitorService”, perform steps 1 to 10 once again.
- After that, launch QB on every workstation.
- Then press “File”.
- Pick “Multi-user Mode”.
When you’re able to open everything without getting interrupted by any error, the H202 error will have been settled.
3.3) Fix 3: Clear Multi-user Mode Problems with QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
By investing minimum effort, you can fix the H202 error mode in QuickBooks via the File Doctor Tool. Some of you may already know that for running this tool, the QuickBooks Tool Hub is essential. Once you download or update the tool hub as the prerequisite, selecting the tab of Company File Issues is the next step. This tab will give you the option of running the tool. Then you can open or browse the QuickBooks company file and initiate its scanning.
- Turn off “QuickBooks” on your PC.
- Download “QuickBooks Tool Hub” with a recent version, preferably “126.96.36.199”.
Please Note: It is possible that you may already be having the tool hub of QuickBooks. However, its version may need to be updated. To identify the present version, visit the tab named “Home”. View the bottom-right part of the tab. The version will be listed here. When you can’t find it, then enter the “About” section. This section will also inform you about the version of the tool hub. You can update the version given that it isn’t the latest one.
- On the “Desktop” or in the “Downloads” folder, the downloaded file of the tool hub can be saved.
- Select “QuickBooksToolHub.exe” by visiting the location where the file has been saved.
- Read the on-screen directions to learn how to install the tool hub.
- The tool hub’s “Terms and Conditions” have to be agreed upon.
- Visit the “Desktop” and press twice on the tool hub’s icon once the installation is complete.
Please Note: If, at all, the tool hub’s icon isn’t available on the “Desktop”, search for the same in the “Start Menu”.
- Press the tab of “Company File Issues”.
- From the tab, you have to choose “Run QuickBooks File Doctor“.
- Tap the “QuickBooks Company File” via the dropdown. Or press “Browse and Search” to pick the file.
- Opt for the “Check Your File” option.
- Hit “Continue”.
- Input the “Admin Password” of the QB software.
- Hit “Next”.
- Wait till the scanning process is running for fixing the QuickBooks error H202 switching to multi-user mode.
- On the new version of the software, you can choose “Repair the File for Your Existing Version of QuickBooks First” as an optional step or you can pick “Open the File in a Newer Version of QuickBooks”. After the update, the file may not open in the former version of the software.
- In the end, update and make a backup of the software.
3.4) Fix 4: Attempt the Addition of Your Server to Hosts File of Windows
On seeing the error H202, you should find out whether you have added your server to the host’s file. When this has not been ensured, this file’s path can get affected. In this situation, you should quickly add the server and troubleshoot error code H202. For its addition, certain changes have to be made. You can do so via Notepad on Windows.
See further how to fix QuickBooks error H202 by adding the server:
- Use one of the paths mentioned as follows for accessing the “Hosts File” of Windows.
Ensure that this step is done on the computer that is displaying the QuickBooks error H202.
- Click twice on the “Hosts” file.
- A prompt asking “How Do You Want to Open this File” will be received. Select “Notepad”.
- Input the “IP Address” of the server after the “IP Address” which is at the end in the “Hosts” file. While you input the address, ensure that the “Server Name” is also added.
Please Note: For adding space between the “Server Name” and “IP Address”, press the “Tab” key.
- Tap on “File”.
- Press “Save”.
- Select “Exit”.
- Using the “Multi-user Mode”, access your “Company File”.
In case the QuickBooks multi-user mode is not working after this, please turn off the software. Then open it again. The mode should probably work and the error would also have been repaired.
3.5) Fix 5: Ensure that Hosting is Set to Local Files
When hosting is set to your local files, you can see to it that no client system is able to host the same files. This will help you in preventing the QB H202 error. For accomplishing this fix, you can press F2 after opening QuickBooks. Then you will have the option to set hosting to your local files.
- Open “QuickBooks“.
- Push the “F2” key to access “Product Information”.
- Click on “Hosting”, at the bottom-left, for “Local Files Only”. This option will be available below “Local Server Information”.
Now that hosting has been set for the local files, you can access and use QuickBooks as much as you want to. The QuickBooks error code H202 might not be observed.
3.6) Fix 6: Try Making a New Folder for QBW File
For troubleshooting the QuickBooks H202 error, you can prepare one new folder. After changing the permissions to share this folder, as well as the company files, you can copy the QBW file. You can store the copy in the newly made folder. At last, you can enter the Multi-user Mode and access your file.
To be clearer about this H202 error fix, you can go through the 4 steps given here:
- First, prepare one new folder on your server system.
- Sharing this folder is the next step. Make changes to the permissions for sharing the folder as well as QB company files.
- The “QBW” or “QuickBooks Database” file has to be copied and stored in the folder you have made.
- Run the “Company File” via the “Multi-user Mode”.
3.7) Fix 7: Remove and Create .ND File Again
Considering that you are aware of the causes of the H202 error in QB, you will know that damages in the .ND file can lead to it. So, this QuickBooks H202 error fix will guide you in eradicating this cause by removing and recreating this file.
You can write .ND in the Search box of Windows. You can access the file via the results. To delete the .ND file, you can right-tap and pick the option to do so. Then you can visit All Programs from the Start Menu. You can choose QuickBooks and QuickBooks Database Server Manager. This is accompanied by launching the scanning process. This process will help you get rid of the H202 error at last.
- Press “Start” and access “Search”. Write “.ND” in it.
- Tap “Enter”.
- Right-tap on the “.ND” file in “Results”. Opt for the “Delete” option.
- You will be asked to confirm your decision. Do as required.
- Tap the “Windows” key.
- Pick “All Programs”.
- Tap on “QuickBooks”.
- Open the “QuickBooks Database Server Manager”.
- Open the tab of “Scan Folder”.
- Choose the “Add Folder” option.
- Look for the folder of the company file.
- Pick your “Company File” and press “Ok”. The Company File’s path will be in the folder which has the field “QuickBooks Company File”.
- Press “Scan”.
- Press “Close” when scanning is over.
3.8) Fix 8: Try Restarting the Database Server Manager of QuickBooks
The QuickBooks error code H202 can be eliminated on a system by starting over with the Database Server Manager. This server is essential for server connectivity. Therefore, when you get affected by the H202 error, it should be restarted via Run on Windows. In doing so, you will also be required to stop some services of QuickBooks.
- Launch “Run”. Use the shortcut keys “Windows” and “R” for opening it. The keys have to be pressed at the same time.
- Write “services.msc” and select “Ok”.
- Right-tap on QuickBooksDB17 (2007), QuickBooksDB18 (2008) or QuickBooksDB19 (2009). Click on “Stop”.
- Then right-click for choosing “Start”.
- Exit the window.
- View the extensions for the file types which are known.
- Right-tap on “Windows Start” and pick the “Explore” option.
- Select “Tools”.
- Pick “Folder Options”.
- Click on “View”.
- The “Hide Extensions” have to be cleared for the box of “Known File Types”.
- Press “View” again.
- Opt for “Show Hidden Files and Folders”.
- Ensure that the box for “Hide Protected Operating System Files” is clear.
- Press “Yes” when the “Warning” window appears.
- Push “Ok”.
- Then exit the “Windows Explorer”.
Lastly, remember to use the QuickBooks accounting software. This will be essential to check that the H202 error QuickBooks has been repaired and no server issues remain.
3.9) Fix 9: Implement QuickBooks Connection Diagnostic Tool
The QuickBooks Connection Diagnostic Tool is useful in 2 ways. Firstly, it can remove network-related bugs. In addition to that, problems emerging due to multi-user access can be settled through it. Since both are the causes of the H202 QuickBooks error, this tool’s implementation becomes vital.
- Download the “QuickBooks Connection Diagnostic Tool”. Then finish its installation.
- Start this tool and scan the folder of the company file.
- Jot down the “IP Address” that you can see.
- In the section of “Firewall Status”, certain ports will have a button stating “Open Ports”. Enable them.
- Perform the prompts visible on the display.
- Then access your file from the system which was reflecting the H202 error mode in QuickBooks.
3.10) Fix 10: Ping Server via Your Workstation
When you ping a server, you are able to find out how its connectivity is. This ascertains whether network connection problems are sourcing out the H202 error in QuickBooks. On your PC, network discovery has to be enabled to do so. Then you have to find the correct server name. Later on, you have to put the connectivity under a test. The final results will signify whether or not this is the cause of the QuickBooks error H202. Accordingly, you will be able to improve the network if required and fix the issue.
- To enable network discovery, find “Network” from the “Start Menu”.
- Go to “Network and Sharing Center”.
- Tap on the option “Change Advanced Sharing Settings”.
- Head to “Network Discovery”.
- See to it that you hit “Turn on Network Discovery”.
- The user needs to find the server name to go ahead. Again, open “Start” on Windows.
- Open “Run” and write “CMD” in it. Then push “Enter”.
- In the same window, add “ipconfig/all”. Tap “Enter” again.
- Come to the section called “Host Name in the Windows IP Configuration”.
- Towards the right, see the name of the server.
- Make a note of “Host Name”.
- Now, you can check for the connectivity of the network using “CMD”.
When the connectivity is low, you need to get it enhanced. As this gets done, you can run QuickBooks. You should not find the H202 error code now.
3.11) Fix 11: Modify Company File’s Location
While accessing files in QuickBooks multi-user mode, you may find the error H202. At times, the mode may not be its culprit but the accessed file. Here, the troubleshooting fix is to access the same file from another location. This can reduce the chances of seeing the QuickBooks error code H202.
- On “Drive C:” of Windows, you have to establish one new folder.
- Move your file from its location to this folder.
- Then you have to head back to the former location of your company file.
- From there, find the “.TLG” file and the corresponding company file.
- Both files have to be copied and pasted in the newly made folder.
- Launch “QuickBooks” and go to its “Multi-user Mode”.
- From this mode, you should be able to access the file without running into the H202 error code.
3.12) Fix 12: Repair via Control Panel on Windows
You can possibly repair QuickBooks when an internal bug is bringing up the QuickBooks H202 error. On Windows, it is easier to do so via the Control Panel. It gives you a repair option. Through this, you will be troubleshooting the error H202.
- On all your computers, the software needs to be shut down.
- Then go to the program “Control Panel”.
- From here, navigate to “Program and Features”.
- You will find “QuickBooks”. Click on it.
- Afterward, please use “Change and Repair” as given in the list.
- Enable all the relevant options after this.
- Then get the updates for “QuickBooks”.
- Next to this, you can start using your company file as usual without the error code H202.
3.13) Fix 13: Naming .ND and .TLG Files Again
As you use a particular QuickBooks company file, .ND and .TLG files get created corresponding to it. Should these files be problematic, your experience using the company file can be bugged by the H202 QuickBooks error. You can conveniently remove the error by fixing both files. The measure will include simply renaming them.
- Start by turning off “QuickBooks”.
- Access your server computer.
- On this computer, go to the folder in which your company file is stored.
- Find the file with the extension “.TLG” that is linked to the company file.
- As you right-tap this file, you will see “Rename”. Using this, add “old” to the name’s end and save it.
- Perform steps 3 to 5. This time, the file “.ND” should be selected.
When you run the file affected by the error code H202 QuickBooks, new files with the mentioned extensions will be created. This will probably prevent the error from occurring again.
4. How Do I Troubleshoot Error H202 in QuickBooks Desktop?
To get rid of the H202 error mode in QuickBooks Desktop, the firewall settings can be manually configured. This fix will work for various year versions of the software, provided that you know their local ports. Aside from this, users can make changes to QBGlobalAppConfig.ini. This needs to be done when Fedora Linux is in use.
4.1) Fix 1: Manually Configure the Settings of Firewall for QuickBooks Desktop
Restrictions or interferences from Firewall can often make QuickBooks Desktop become problematic. Hence, when you see the error H202 in it, you should check the settings of the program. As you do this, attempt to manually configure these settings. In the process, you will be adding the correct ports for QuickBooks Desktop 2017, 2018, 2019, or 2020. Afterward, you may not find the error code H202 in it.
The following directions explain how to manually configure your Firewall to resolve the error H202 in QuickBooks Desktop:
- Tap on “Start”.
- In the field of “Search”, input “Windows Firewall“.
- Click on “Windows Firewall”.
- Press “Advanced Settings”.
- Right-tap on “Inbound Rules”.
- Press “New Rule”.
- Click on “Port”.
- Tap on “Next”.
- Pick “TCP”.
- For each field of the local ports, input the following as per the year version of QB:
- QuickBooks Desktop 2017: “8019, 56727, 55373-55377”
- QuickBooks Desktop 2018: “8019, 56728, 55378-55382”
- QuickBooks Desktop 2019: “8019, XXXXX”
- QuickBooks Desktop 2020: “8019, XXXXX”
Please Note: For QuickBooks Desktop 2019/2020/later versions, a dynamic port is used. In the “Start Menu”, you can find “QuickBooks Database Server Manager” and open it. Via the tab of Port Monitor, pick the software version. Then jot down the “Port Number”. Its format should be mentioned as “8019,XXXXX” where the dynamic port number is represented by “XXXXX”. Use this number for the port exception.
- Tap on “Next”.
- Click on “Allow the Connection”.
- Press “Next”.
- Choose every profile when prompted to do so.
- Tap on “Next”.
- After making a rule, enter “QBPorts(Year)” as the name.
- Press “Finish”.
- Do all the steps again but this time you have to choose “Outbound Rules” as the fifth step.
- Then run “QuickBooks Desktop”.
- Ensure that the “Multi-user Mode” is on. Additionally, you can run the software using the host PC’s network.
Should the H202 error in QuickBooks 2019 in the Desktop version (or another year version) be observed, then you can make firewall exceptions for such programs.
4.2) Fix 2: Change QBGlobalAppConfig.ini on Fedora Linux
For Fedora Linux users, QBGlobalAppConfig.ini is an important file when using the software’s multi-user mode. When the server or this file generates the H202 error QuickBooks Desktop, some changes should be implemented. Using Linux Terminal, you can initiate these changes. At the end of the fix, remember to run the accounting software and inspect whether the changes have resolved the error code.
- On your system, run “Linux Terminal”.
- Then start “QBGlobalAppConfig.ini”.
- You need to look for the ports’ default range.
- Remove spaces after and before the sign “(=)”.
- View “Linux Database Server Manager” to see a list of ports.
|QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise Version||To||From|
|17.0||55373 = 5||55373 = 5|
|18.0||55378 = 5||55378 = 5|
|19.0||55383 = 5||55383 = 5|
|20.0||55388 = 5||55388 = 5|
|21.0||55393 = 5||55393 = 5|
|22.0||55398 = 5||55398 = 5|
- Followed by the step above, the file “QBGlobalAppConfig.ini” has to be saved.
- Then stop both services given below as well as reboot them:
Briefly, to Conclude
It should now be clear that the QuickBooks error H202 is a server/network issue. It is most likely to occur in the multi-user mode of the software. Therefore, when you access files in this mode, you should be mindful of it. Along with knowing its causes, you should be prepared with the right measures as well. This will ensure that the error H202 does not prevail for a long duration.
QuickBooks Error H202 FAQs:
Since the H202 error in QuickBooks indicates a network connection problem, you can fix it by repairing this. To repair the network, you can test its connection. Then you can contact the service provider for improvement as needed.
Users of QuickBooks Desktop can experience the H202 error when they have activated the firewall on their computers. Mainly, the program might not have been properly configured. As you resolve the configuration problems, the error should get fixed.
The H202 error arises when there is no proper connection between a workstation and QuickBooks company file. The QuickBooks error H202 disables you from accessing your file. This can further affect your business work that has to be done through such files.
To fix the error H202 in multiple ways, QuickBooks users can make changes to the hosting settings. They should be set for local files. The location of their company files can additionally be modified. This will be effective for removing bugs from this location. Along with this, users can repair the tool directly from the Control Panel available on Windows.
Two essential tools are available to troubleshoot the error code H202. Initially, you can implement the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool. Secondly, the QuickBooks Connection Diagnostic Tool is also effective in removing the code. Both can check the accounting software and remove the internal cause of the H202 error.
A primary cause of the H202 QuickBooks error is an issue with the software’s server or connection. Otherwise, the configuration of the hosting service may not be proper. Additional causes can include DNS server issues, incorrect file extensions, and an inaccessible IP address of the host PC.
This error can take place when you have entered the multi-user mode. Therefore, removing the access after you see the QuickBooks error H202 switching to multi-user mode may not always help. You can try turning off the host multi-user access but when the error is still observed, you should access your QuickBooks files from a different location.
You can understand that the error code H202 occurs because of the software’s multi-user mode. When you implement the QuickBooks Tool Hub, it will eliminate the bugs from this mode. As a positive result of this, the H202 code should stop occurring. While you use this tool, see to it that its latest version is installed.
It is indicated by the error H202 that your network connectivity is not proper. Therefore, an attempt should be made to improve it. At times, the QuickBooks error code H202 may also signify that your company file is problematic. Hence, you should check the file or its location. Or else, the error may continue affecting the software and its operations.
Connection issues between a server and the QuickBooks multi-user mode can give rise to several H series errors. These can include the errors H101, H202, H303, H505, etc. Removing the connection problems is the main way to fix this series of errors.
It is super easy. I only used one method and the error got fixed. So happy to read this blog. It has so much to read but surprisingly I didn’t need to read much as the first two methods were enough for me.
I am a newbie to using the QuickBooks program and viewing an H202 error was very scary for me. My internet connection was completely fine but I had to set the hosting to local files and it worked for me. Now there are no annoying errors on my screen.
Actually, I often read about QuickBooks just to be more aware. It was long back when I randomly found what the QuickBooks error H202 is. Since I was already aware of why it occurs, I was able to troubleshoot it much quickly.
The Quickbooks error h202 might seem to be something very big. But it can be sorted in very simple ways. I don’t know whether all of these fixes will work but a few of them certainly did when the error was there in our computer systems.
For different types of company files, we always make separate folders so that it is easy for us to quickly use and find any file. Very recently however, when the quickbooks error h202 showed up, we realized that it might be because of the same thing. Indeed, it can be a cause of the problem.