QuickBooks lets the users track all the expenses in a convenient way. In addition, you can record the transactions in the books whether made by credit card or debit card. By recording the debit card purchases, you can track the transaction to offset the tendered bills available in QuickBooks. But, how do you record a debit card purchase in QuickBooks? If you have no clue about this, we will enlighten you.
In this detailed guide, we will talk about how to enter debit card transactions in QuickBooks Online and Desktop. Besides that, we will show the procedure of tracking the debit card purchases to offset your tendered bills and record the expenses through the QBO mobile app.
How Do I Enter Debit Card Purchases in QuickBooks?
The transactions made by debit card can be recorded through the Banking menu in QuickBooks. Here, we will show you two different ways that will help you to record debit card purchases. Find out how to record a debit card transaction in QuickBooks Online and Desktop:
Method 1: How Do You Record a Debit Card Purchase in QuickBooks Desktop?
To record the debit card transactions, you can go with the Write Checks option. For this, you will have to use the Check Number field to add the debit charge. To understand better, you can read here how to record a debit card transaction in QuickBooks Desktop:
- Launch “QuickBooks” software.
- Switch to the “Banking” tab on the top.
- Then, choose the “Write Checks” option from the available options.
- Here, you have to be sure that the “Print Later” option is not selected.
- After this, add the required details to write this check for your vendor.
- Here, you will have to check if the “To Be Printed” option is marked. If it is marked, you need to remove the checkmark.
- Now, you will find the “Debit Card” option. Here, you will have to use a debit card. In case you find numerous debit cards used by you then you will need to incorporate the bank name.
- After this, enter the “Payee” name.
- Along with this, add the date and amount of the transaction.
- Once done, select the “Save and Close” option.
After you enter the debit card transaction in QuickBooks, you can view this transaction on the register. To do so, you can jump to the following steps:
- Go to the “Lists” option on the top.
- Then, click on the “Chart of Accounts” option.
- Double Tap on the name of the account.
At this stage, you can check out the purchases made by the debit card in QuickBooks. This is how you can enter and view the debit card purchases in QuickBooks.
Method 2: How to Record Debit Card Transactions in QuickBooks Online?
If you want to resume the reconciliation, recording the debit card purchases becomes necessary in QuickBooks. All you have to do is make sure that you add the name in a Pay To The Order Of section when creating checks. In case you don’t prefer to add the customer, employee, or vendor name then you can go with the Other tab. Here are the instructions for this:
- Go to the “Banking” menu.
- Then, click on the “Write Checks” option.
- Add the “Bank Account” that you wish to use.
- Now, switch to the “Pay To The Order Of” option and click the “Add New” button.
- Select the “Other” option.
- Click the “OK” button.
- Choose the name along with other information.
- Click the “OK” option.
By following these steps, one can easily add the name in a dedicated field when creating checks.
How to Track the Debit Card Purchases in QuickBooks?
If you want to track your debit card purchases to offset the tendered bills then you can follow the below steps in QuickBooks:
- Launch “QuickBooks Desktop”.
- Then, click on the “Vendor” tab.
- After this, click on the “Pay One Vendor” button from a vendor screen.
- Further from your “Payment Account” section, you have to select the bank account. This should be the same account from where the amount will be deducted.
- Now, you will have to check if the “To Be Printed” option is marked. If it is marked, you need to remove the checkmark.
- Once done, switch to the “Check Number” section. Here, you can add either the name or number that will let you record the transactions. Some users prefer to type the code such as “DC” or “Debit Card” to specify that they are using the debit card.
- Now, you can add the required details such as the date and amount of transaction in the dedicated sections.
- Click on the “Bill Payment Information” section.
- Select the bill paid by you by using the debit card.
- Once done, select the “Save” option.
After executing these steps, you can continue following the instructions to get your desired results. This way you can track the debit card transactions in QuickBooks.
Important Note: Some users often receive errors due to which they cannot record the debit card purchases. In such cases, you should try a business bank account.
How to Record Any Purchase in QuickBooks Online Phone App?
If you want to record the bills and expense receipts in QuickBooks, they can easily be recorded through the QBO phone app. All you have to do is capture the photo of the receipt and upload the image to QuickBooks. Let us show you the whole process:
- Go to the “Menu” icon.
- Then, click on the “Receipt” option.
- Select the “Receipt camera” button.
- Then, capture a photo.
- Click the “Use this photo” option.
- Press the “Done” button.
- Now, in order to upload the image from your computer, you can log in to the QuickBooks account via a regular internet browser.
- Now, click on the “Transaction” or “Banking” option.
- Switch to the “Receipt” tab.
- Press the “Upload from Google Drive” or “Upload from the PC” option.
By selecting these options, you can easily record the expense receipts or bills just by taking a picture through the QuickBooks Online phone app.
Users often make payments by using credit cards and debit cards in QuickBooks. If you want to record the debit card purchase, QuickBooks makes it easy for you to enter it. In the above discussion, we have explained how to enter debit card purchases in QuickBooks Online and Desktop along with other information.
Besides recording the debit card transaction, if you want to record security deposit and vehicle trade then use the following guides: