When working with QuickBooks accounting software, users often confront display issues. QuickBooks screen turns black and white due to such display issues. This error can be spotted in both Windows and Mac computers while using QuickBooks. The impact of such errors affects your screen in a way that you would see black boxes or color instead of a white screen. There can be numerous reasons behind this. Therefore, we bring you this detailed guide where you will learn different solutions to fix QuickBooks black and white screen.
The guide has a focal point on the symptoms and provides the repairing solutions. If your QuickBooks screen turns black and white, you can try on the following fixes.
- Why Does My QuickBooks Screen Turn Black and White?
- How to Fix QuickBooks Black and White Screen Issue?
Why Does My QuickBooks Screen Turn Black and White?
The main reason behind QuickBooks black and white screen problem is the display issues. When the QuickBooks screen turns black and white, your QuickBooks Desktop screen becomes peculiar. Here are the following symptoms you would notice on your screen.
- The sizing icons stop appearing at the top right of your QuickBooks screen.
- A few of the buttons may not be seen.
- Transaction form stops fitting on the screen.
- The screen starts distorting when minimizing or maximizing the window.
- Font size may get larger.
When you notice such problems with your QuickBooks software screen, troubleshoot your system as soon as possible.
How to Fix QuickBooks Black and White Screen Issue?
Display issues can be problematic as you fail to view icons that are generally located on the corner of your screen. If your QuickBooks screen turns black and white, the best solution is to reboot the Windows computer and end QuickBooks-related processes in Windows Task Manager.
Along with this, users should also run the reboot.bat file and edit the QBW.ini file name. We also recommend you to use the basic Windows theme on Windows computers as it may affect the display of certain programs.
Follow the list of QuickBooks black boxes fix carefully.
Fix 1: End Processes in Task Manager
When the QuickBooks screen turns black and white, any user’s first action is to restart the PC. In some instances, minor bugs affect certain programs due to which you confront peculiar issues such as QuickBooks black and white screen. By restarting the computer machine, you can resolve such issues. Let’s do that!
- Navigate to the Windows “Start” menu. This is generally located on the left bottom of your computer screen.
- As you open the “Start” menu, start searching for “Task Manager”.
- Once you found it, click on the “Task Manager” to open it.
- Thereafter, you can move to the “Processes” tab. Here, you will see the processes that are running on the Windows computer.
- At this point, you need to locate the processes named QuickBooks or QBW32.exe.
- After that, press the “End Task” or “End Process” located at the bottom.
As you end the QuickBooks processes on your Windows computer, make sure you restart your PC. After this, open QuickBooks to verify if the error has been fixed.
Fix 2: Reboot Windows Computer
QuickBooks errors can be encountered if the problem lies within your computer system. Hence, we suggest you reboot your Windows PC. By doing so, you may get rid of QuickBooks black boxes.
Here, we will show you how to reboot Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, and XP computers. Based on your Windows version, you can continue following the steps:
Reboot Windows 10 or 8
- Click on the “Start” menu.
- Select the “Power” button on Windows 10.
- Now, select the “Restart” option.
Reboot Windows 7 or Vista and Window XP
- Select the “Start” button on the Windows “Taskbar”.
- Click on the small arrow located next to the “Shutdown” option.(Windows 7 or Vista)
- Then, click on the “Shutdown” or press the “Turn Off Computer” button.(Window XP)
- Click on the “Restart” button.
After rebooting the computer, when it restarts, you can open QuickBooks Desktop. If your QuickBooks screen turns black and white then you should move to the next fix.
Fix 3: Bring Back the Basic Windows Theme
Changing the Windows theme can affect certain issues to some extent. If you change the theme of your Windows computer to basic, it may help you to resolve the screen issues. Let’s have a look at the following steps:
- Press the Windows “Start” menu.
- Then, browse the “Control Panel”.
- Go to “Personalization”. Alternatively, you can click right on the desktop screen and choose the “Personalization” option.
- After this, move to the “Basic and High Contrast Themes” section.
- Then, click on the “Windows Basic” theme.
Once you apply the basic theme of Windows computers, you should restart your PC. After that, you can launch QuickBooks Desktop and check if your screen fits well. In case you are still finding black and white screens then it is time to implement technical methods.
Fix 4: Run reboot.bat File
Reboot.bat file is usually used to re-register QuickBooks files. If you are constantly facing display issues on QuickBooks software, running the reboot.bat file can help in some ways. Let us show you how to run the reboot.bat file to re-register the QuickBooks files:
- To get started, close the “QuickBooks” software if running.
- Then, you need to find the folder that has the “reboot.bat file” on the computer.
- Now, click right on the “QuickBooks” software icon.
- After this, select the “Properties” option.
- Then, select the “Open file location”.
- Now, click right on the “bat” files.
- Then, click on the “Run as Administrator”.
- You need to make sure that the bat file is running as an administrator.
- Now, based on the Windows “Folder Options” settings, the file will show up as “reboot” or “bat”.
- After this, you will see a “Command” window with rapidly scrolling names.
- When the process of the bat file is finished, the window will be shut down.
Make sure you don’t close the window manually. After following these steps, the QuickBooks files register, and then you can check if your QuickBooks screen is working fine.
Fix 5: Edit QBW.ini File
The QBW.ini file can create conflicts due to which QuickBooks screen turns black and white. To get rid of such problems, you are suggested to change the QBW.ini file name. Let us show you how to do that:
- Make sure you close “QuickBooks Desktop”.
- Then, select the “Windows” menu.
- At this point, you need to find the “QBW.ini” file path depending on the QuickBooks version you are using.
- Once you find the file, edit the file name by adding “[COLORS]Classic=0” at the end of the file name.
After you save the QBW.ini file(Learn to Open QBW File without QuickBooks), try opening QuickBooks Desktop. Changing the QBW.ini file QuickBooks black boxes fix must have been fixed by now.
In a Nutshell
QuickBooks display errors irritate a lot as you cannot perform a certain action. By performing the basic methods such as rebooting the computer and restarting the QuickBooks, you can resolve the issue. When nothing helps, you can edit the QBW.ini file name, run the reboot.bat file to register QuickBooks files, and use a basic Windows theme on your computer. If required, you can run the Quick Fix My Program or verify the video card drivers to the latest version.
If you are facing other types of QuickBooks errors, check the following guides to fix them: