QuickBooks PDF viewer error can be seen when your Windows print segments are damaged or corrupted. Due to the damaged print segments, QuickBooks fails to locate the PDF viewer. As a result, you encounter problems while using a PDF viewer. Other factors such as improper installation of Adobe Reader can also bring such interruptions. These problems can be resolved if you implement the appropriate techniques.
In this guide, we will help you to identify the main causes of PDF viewer errors and how to resolve the issue using six different solutions. Here we go!
- Key Reasons of QuickBooks PDF Viewer Error
- How to Fix QuickBooks PDF Viewer Error?
Key Reasons of QuickBooks PDF Viewer Error
The printing operation is connected with Adobe Reader. If it contains any kind of damage or incorrect settings, you may confront difficulties with the PDF viewer. To find out the main causes of QuickBooks PDF viewer error, you can check out the following reasons:
- Adobe Reader is not properly installed on the Windows system.
- QuickBooks Desktop does not have new updates installed.
- Adobe Reader is not set up as a default PDF viewer due to which QuickBooks is unable to locate the PDF viewer.
- Due to the damaged QBprint.qbp file, a QuickBooks PDF viewer error may occur.
When QuickBooks fails to locate the PDF viewer, you may observe peculiar changes on your computer screen. For instance, you will see the red X icon and your screen can show a blank page. To avoid such bugs, you are required to repair the Adobe Reader. Let’s get into more details to find the troubleshooting methods.
How to Fix QuickBooks PDF Viewer Error?
QuickBooks PDF viewer error can be resolved if you set Adobe Reader as your default PDF viewer. In addition, you can rename the QBPrint.qbp file name, reinstall the Adobe Acrobat application, delete temporary files on Windows, open PDF on the local hard drive, and fix the Windows Registry related to PDF viewer service. If you perform these methods carefully, you can easily resolve the issues that occur in PDF viewer. Let us help you perform these methods.
Fix 1: Set Adobe Reader as Default Application
If you have not set your Adobe Reader service as default, QuickBooks may not be able to locate it. As a result, you confront an unexpected QuickBooks error: You Need a PDF Viewer. To apply the correct settings in Adobe Reader, you need to perform the following steps based on your Windows versions:
- Go to the “Windows Start” menu and click on it.
- Here, you search for the “Windows Settings” and open it.
- Click on the “Apps” option.
- Go to the “Default apps” located on the left.
- Scroll down until you find “PDF” and select the default program.
- Then, click on the “Adobe Reader” option.
Windows 8, 8.1, 7
- Select the “Windows Start” menu.
- Open the “Control Panel”.
- Then, go to the “Programs” option.
- Select the “Set default programs” option.
- Click on the “Adobe Reader” from the installed programs.
- Select the program and click on the “Set this Program as Default” option.
Once you set Adobe Reader application as your default service, QuickBooks will recognize it easily. However, if you confront any error related to PDF viewer, we have more ways to fix it.
Fix 2: Edit the QBPrint.qbp File Name
Incorrect names of the QBPrint.qbp can also bring unwanted errors in QuickBooks. Thus, it is important to fix the name of the QBPrint.qbp file. This can be done by using the following instructions:
- Go to the “File Manager” on your computer.
- Then, select the “Organize” button.
- After that, select the “Folder” option.
- Search for the “Option”.
- Here, you can remove the checkmark for the hidden folders, files, or drives.
- Once done, search for the “QBPrint.qbp File”.
- After this, click twice on the file and select the “Rename” option.
- Edit the name of your file, you can click the “Save” button.
Once done with modifying the QBPrint.qbp file name, you can continue using the PDF viewer. QuickBooks will now be able to locate the PDF viewer.
Fix 3: Reinstall Adobe Acrobat Application
Technical bugs can bring unwanted errors to the Adobe Acrobat application. By reinstalling this application, you can get rid of such issues. The process of reinstallation requires you to uninstall the application, download the recent version (compatible with your device), and install it on your computer. Please carry out the following steps to reinstall the Adobe Acrobat
- Open the “Control Panel” service on your computer.
- Then, switch to the “Programs” section where you will see the installed programs.
- Here, you can locate the “Adobe Acrobat” service.
- After that, click on the “Uninstall” button.
- Once the application is successfully removed, you can download the latest version of Adobe Acrobat from a trusted source. You can also use a CD to install the application.
After reinstalling the Adobe Acrobat application, you can check if you encounter any PDF errors in QuickBooks. If there is any new update of your Adobe Acrobat application, you can install it too. This way you can update the application to the latest version.
Fix 4: Monitor PDF on Your Hard Drive
When you confront issues related to the PDF file viewer, you should always check if you can open your PDF file on the local hard drive. To determine this, the following steps can be followed:
- Open the internet browser on your computer.
- If you use a Windows computer, press the “Ctrl + O” keys on your keyboard.
- Mac users can click on the “File” menu and select the “Open File” option.
- Press the “Browse” button.
- Here, you can click on the “Files of Type” option.
- Click on the “All Files” option.
- Once done, you can search for the PDF on your computer and select it to open.
As you open the PDF on the local hard drive, you need to observe if you conflict with any errors. If so, you need to make sure that Adobe is running as an administrator.
Fix 5: Remove the Temporary Files
Temporary files on Windows computers take unnecessary space. This may result in interruptions while using certain programs on your computer. By clearing these temporary files and folders, you can get rid of the QuickBooks error: You Need a PDF Viewer. Let’s have a look at the following details:
- Use “Windows + R” keys together on your computer. This will open the “Run” window.
- Here, in the text field, enter “%TEMP%”.
- Click the “OK” button or press the “Enter” key on your keyboard.
- Now, find the temp folder in the list.
- After that, click right on the blank area and choose the contents.
- Here, you can delete the temp files.
As you delete the temporary files and folders, you can refresh your Windows computer. Thereafter, you can launch QuickBooks Desktop to verify if there is any QuickBooks PDF viewer error.
Fix 6: Resolve the Registry Key on Windows
Corrupted keys can ruin the performance of certain programs on Windows computers. Hence, it is important to fix the Windows corrupted keys in the Registry. Make sure you only fix the registry key that is related to the Adobe Reader application or another third-party PDF viewer you are using.
- Click on the Windows “Start” menu.
- Then, select the “Run” window.
- Type “Regedit” in the text field.
- Press the “OK” button.
- After this, you can create the backup of an active registry file. This will display in the “Register Editor” box.
- Now, click on the “File” menu.
- Select the “Export” option.
- Type a name for your file and save it to the preferred location.
- Once done, click on the “All” for “Export Range”.
- Press the “Save” button.
- At this point, you need to find the “HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AcroExch.Document”.
- After this, click right on the “AcroExch.Document” and choose the “Delete” button. Be sure you are having the right key.
- Then, select the “Yes” button.
- Now, click right on the “AcroExch.Document.7”.
- Press the “Delete” button.
This way you can easily fix the PDF reader installation. After this, you will not see any error related to Adobe Reader or any other PDF viewer service on your computer.
To Wind Up
Improper settings can bring complications while using a PDF viewer. If you encounter a QuickBooks error: You Need a PDF Viewer, you should repair Adobe Reader and imply the necessary settings in Adobe Acrobat applications. There are other methods you can consider. In the above information, we have shared a few methods that will help you to troubleshoot the error.
There are numerous errors you may encounter while using QuickBooks Desktop. If you are seeking help for the following errors, click the links to know more details: