Generally, the QuickBooks Enterprise file can only be accessed in the same version where it was originated from. However, in some cases, you might receive a file from a QuickBooks Pro user and you are unable to open your QuickBooks Enterprise. What will you do to open the file? To access a file in QuickBooks Enterprise from different versions, you can perform some workaround methods. Learn with us in detail how to open QuickBooks Enterprise file in QuickBooks Premier, Pro, and Accountant.
- Is It Possible to Open the QuickBooks Enterprise File in Other Versions of QuickBooks?
- How to Open QuickBooks Enterprise File in QuickBooks Accountant, Premier, or Pro?
Is It Possible to Open the QuickBooks Enterprise File in Other Versions of QuickBooks?
When you have a company file in QuickBooks Enterprise, you can only open this file in QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions. In addition, one should use the same year of the QuickBooks version to open the company file. Even if you open a company file in a new version, it cannot be opened in the older version.
For instance, if you are using a QuickBooks Premier and your customer sends you a file from QuickBooks Enterprise, you will not be able to open the company file in your version of the program. In this case, you will have to receive a copy of your QuickBooks Enterprise to make it happen. However, if you are part of the ProAdvisor program then you can receive the Enterprise license along with your subscription so that you can use it. Here, in this guide, we will explain how to open QuickBooks Enterprise file in QuickBooks Pro, Premier, or Accountant.
How to Open QuickBooks Enterprise File in QuickBooks Accountant, Premier, or Pro?
Downgrading the company file from QuickBooks Enterprise to Premier or Pro is not possible. However, you can use third-party services to make it possible. Besides that, you can perform workaround methods. For example, you can export the list from the QuickBooks Enterprise and import them into QuickBooks Premier/Pro. Besides that, you can restore a backup copy of the company file to enter the data again from QuickBooks Enterprise or create a backup to open this in the accountant’s copy.
In further discussion, you will learn how to open QuickBooks Enterprise file in QuickBooks Pro, Premier, or Accountant using all the three options:
Option 1: Export or Import the Data
By importing the data, you can go from one version to another without starting from scratch. As you import the data from Enterprise to Pro or Premier, you can enter the opening balances and transactions again into your company file in the Premier or Pro edition. This way you can access the file from Enterprise to Pro or Premier version.
Option 2: Restore the Backup File to Enter the Data Again
If you used QuickBooks Premier or Pro before then you can simply use the backup copy to restore the company file and enter the data again that you made from QuickBooks Enterprise. Read on to know how to open QuickBooks Enterprise file in QuickBooks Premier, Pro, and Accountant:
- Launch “QuickBooks” account.
- Then, click on the “File” menu.
- Now, select the “Open or Restore Company” option.
- Here, you can click on the “Restore a backup copy” option.
- Press the “Next” button.
- Once done, click the “Local Backup” option.
- Click the “Next” button.
- Now, you can browse the backup company file. It should be available with the company name ending with the “.QBB” file extension.
- Thereafter, you can choose the folder where you want to save the restored company file.
- Then, click the “Open” button.
Please Note: If you are opening the backup file in the same folder as the existing company file then you may end up overwriting the data. To avoid such a situation, you can change the name of the existing backup or company file. You can also save the backup file in a separate folder.
- When everything is ready, click the “Save” button.
If you find any prompt, you can choose the option that first best. Make sure you don’t overwrite the data. This way you can bring the company file data from QuickBooks Enterprise to some other version such as QuickBooks Pro or Premier.
Option 3: Create Another Backup File and Open it In the Accountant’s Copy
By creating the backup file and opening it in your accountant’s copy, you can access the file. This trick might work for you. Let’s know how to open QuickBooks Enterprise file in QuickBooks Premier, Pro, and Accountant:
- Select the “File” menu.
- Click on the “Switch to Single-user Mode”.
- Then, click on the “File” tab again.
- Here, you can hover your mouse over the “Back up Company” option.
- Now, click on the “Create Local Backup” option.
- Once done, you can select the “Local Backup” option.
- Hit on the “Next” button.
- Click on the “Browse” option and save the file where you want to save it.
- Once everything is ready, click the “OK” button.
- Click on the “Save it Now” button.
- Click the “Next” button.
Once you have created the backup of your company file, you can open it in the accountant copy. This way you can access the file from different versions.
There can be certain moments when you want to open a QuickBooks file in some other versions. Although it is not possible to open the files, you can still perform a number of tricks to open the QuickBooks Enterprise file to some other versions. Here, we have already shared how to open QuickBooks Enterprise file in QuickBooks Premier, Pro, and Accountant. We hope you find this guide useful.
If you are looking for more helpful guides related to QuickBooks QBX files or missing check reports, check out the following: