There can be occasions when you encounter zero balance problems. The error states “QuickBooks generated zero amount transaction for bill payment stub”. This type of error generally occurs when you attempt the online transaction by using the credit card in QuickBooks. Due to the presence of this error, the customer will not be able to access the QuickBooks software to create bills properly and access their credit cards. If you are facing the same problem, you should delete the zero transaction immediately. This will allow you to successfully perform online transactions.
If you have no clue how to fix the “QuickBooks generated zero amount transaction for bill payment stub” error, we will enlighten you. In addition, you will find the main causes of seeing this error.
- Why QuickBooks Generated Zero Amount Transaction?
- How to Fix “QuickBooks Generated Zero Amount Transaction” Error?
Why QuickBooks Generated Zero Amount Transaction?
When you make online transactions using a credit card, QuickBooks may end up showing zero amounts as transactions. There can be three major reasons behind such an error which are as follows:
- When the Credit Memos are not linked or applied to the invoices.
- The payment is not linked or applied to the invoices.
- When the Journal Entry is not linked or applied to the invoices.
These could be the main factors due to which QuickBooks generated zero amount transaction for bill payment stubs. Although the payment, journal entry, or credit memo is available in the QuickBooks data, your invoice will be displayed as unpaid because the Unapplied Transaction is not lined with the invoice. However, by deleting the zero transaction, you can resolve this error. Read more in further information.
How to Fix “QuickBooks Generated Zero Amount Transaction” Error?
The zero mount transaction error can be resolved if you apply the unapplied transaction again. To resolve such issues, all you need to do is open the customer menu and receive the payment by selecting the customer name. Thereafter, you can apply the unapplied credit balance to the invoice. Make sure you save the details after performing these steps. In further discussion, you will find how to resolve the “ QuickBooks generated zero amount transaction for bill payment stub” error for Online and Desktop versions. It also includes different editions such as QuickBooks Enterprise, Pro, or Premier version. Let’s go through each method:
Method to Fix “QuickBooks Generated Zero Amount Transaction for Bill Payment Stub” Error in QuickBooks Online and Desktop Edition
If you are using QuickBooks Online and your account generated the zero amount transaction for your bill payment stub then you can perform the following steps. Let’s find out how you can solve the zero amount error in A/R aging in QBO.
QuickBooks Online Edition
- To get started, log in to your “QuickBooks Online” account.
- Once you are logged in, go to the “Customer Center” menu.
- After this, find the customer name and click on the name to access your customer file.
- Thereafter, you can locate the invoice that is showing an overdue invoice. Once done, select the “Receive Payment”. As the “Receive Payment” window opens, you will see the overdue invoice on the screen. The overdue invoice will automatically be applied to the unapplied transaction.
- At this point, you need to review the details given on your screen. After that, pick the correct transaction if required and be sure that the transaction balance is zero.
- Once done, you can click on the “Save” button and close the window.
As you perform the aforesaid steps, you can check details to verify the correct balance of your customer. You also need to determine that the invoice is showing as paid now.
QuickBooks Desktop Edition
If you encounter a zero balance issue in QuickBooks Enterprise, Pro, or Premier version, you can fix it in A/R aging. Here are the steps one can follow:
- Launch “QuickBooks” software on your PC.
- Then, go to the “Customer” menu.
- Select the “Receive Payments” option.
- After that, you can add the name of your customer. Here, you can see the invoice as well as the unapplied credit balance.
- Here, you need to click on the “Discounts and Credits” option located on the top.
- When the new screen opens, you will find the due credit balance.
- At this point, you need to confirm that there are no unapplied credit balances. This should be your final draft.
- Then, hit the “Done” button.
- In the “Customer Payment” window, you will see the applied credit balance. Here, the total amount of your customers should appear as zero.
- Once verified, you can click on the “Save and Close” button.
This is how you can fix the zero balance issue in A/R aging in the QuickBooks Desktop version including Pro, Premier, and Enterprise.
Bonus Tip to Fix Zero Amount Transaction Error
There can also be instances when the vendor or credit payment is shown as unapplied. In such cases, you can fix the problem by applying the transaction. In the following steps, you will learn to fix zero amount transaction error in QuickBooks Accountant, QuickBooks Enterprise 10, or higher versions:
- Go to the “Accountant” menu.
- Then, click on the “Client Data Review” option.
- Select the “Fix Unapplied Vendor Payments and Credits” option.
- Here, you need to switch to the “Vendors” tab.
- After this, go to the “Payments/Credits” section and select the correct check.
- Then, go to the “Bills” section and make sure that the right bill is selected.
- Now, click on the “Apply” button.
- Press the “Save” button.
In case you select the wrong transaction then click on the Unapply button. This will undo your action. Thereafter, you can choose the appropriate transaction and apply it.
In a Nutshell
A zero balance issue is displayed when the invoice is shown as unpaid. This happens while you make an online transaction through a credit card. To resolve such issues, all you need to do is open the customer menu and receive the payment by selecting the customer name. Thereafter, you can apply the unapplied credit balance to the invoice. Make sure you save the details after performing these steps. This is how you can solve the “QuickBooks generated zero amount transaction for bill payment stub” error.
To know about the QuickBooks QBX file and beginning balance, the following guides may come in handy: