Receiving the QuickBooks error 1321 means the user does not have enough permission to modify the company files. This error usually occurs when you install a company file and the installer is unable to write certain files due to insufficient permissions.
Due to this error, you cannot access particular files and perform certain tasks. By changing the file permission, you can get rid of this error. But what if you are still finding difficulties to solve this error message? Don’t worry, we will help you with the procedure. Let’s read ahead!
- What are the Major Causes of QuickBooks Error 1321?
- How to Fix QuickBooks Error 1321?
- Fix 1: Retry the Update
- Fix 2: Run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
- Fix 3: Create New Admin User Account for Windows
- Fix 4: Change the Folder Permission on Windows
- Choose Your Folder Path (Windows 10, 8, and 7 for 64-bit Version)
- Choose Your Folder Path (Windows 10, 8, and 7 for 32-bit Version)
- Fix 5: Disable Antivirus Program
- Fix 6: Update Insufficient User Rights
What are the Major Causes of QuickBooks Error 1321?
Generally, the main reason for seeing QuickBooks error 1321 is the insufficient permission for modifying the file. However, there can be numerous reasons behind such errors which are as follows:
- The process of copying the file is slower than the process of updating the file.
- Windows firewall or Antivirus programs are blocking QuickBooks due to which you are failing to perform certain tasks.
- Windows permission is restricted to a specific folder that contains your file.
- Company files could be in use or corrupted.
- The process of file update is faster than the process of updating the file.
- The Windows computer was not shut down properly.
Due to these reasons, your Windows system may run slow or your QuickBooks program responds sluggishly. Hence, solving the error in time is important to prevent your company files and other data.
How to Fix QuickBooks Error 1321?
Primarily QuickBooks error 1321 is the issue of insufficient user rights. If you give full control to the files and folders, you can get rid of the errors easily. In addition, you can implement other helpful methods.
To fix QuickBooks error 1321, you can run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool, make a new Windows user with admin rights, update the folder permission (on Windows 7, 8, or 10), and edit the user rights on Windows XP and XP Professionals. Get into more detail.
Fix 1: Retry the Update
When you confront QuickBooks error 1321 on your screen, it shows an error message. By understanding that message, you can proceed with further actions.
- While seeing the error message, you will find a Retry button. If you press that Retry button and complete the process of updating the program.
- If you are still viewing an error message then click on the “Ignore” or “Cancel” button.
- Switch to the “Options” tab.
- Turn off the antivirus program temporarily.
After following these steps, you can install the QuickBooks Desktop in a proper way. If this method does not work effectively, you can switch to other methods.
Fix 2: Run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
Since the error is associated with the installer, hence, you should try diagnosing the actual cause of QuickBooks error 1321. By using the QB install diagnostic tool, you can identify the installation issues and repair the possible errors.
To use the QBinstall diagnostic tool, you can download QuickBooks Tool Hub. Here are the steps you can pursue:
- Before getting started, make sure you close the “QuickBooks” program and other tabs if running on your Windows computer.
- Then, start downloading the “QuickBooks Tool Hub” from a trusted source.
- You can save the download file on the desktop screen.
- Now, open the download file and follow the instructions displayed on the screen. Also, agree to the terms and conditions to finish the installation process.
- When the tool is successfully installed, you can hit the “QuickBooks Tool Hub” icon to launch the software.
Tip: If you are unable to find the QuickBooks Tool Hub, go to the Windows search bar and search for the tool directly.
- Once the “QuickBooks Tool Hub” is opened, go to the “Installation Issues” tab. This should be located on the left.
- Thereafter, you can click on the “QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool” button.
As you hit the tool button, this will start scanning your program and repair the issues that are preventing you from accessing company files. This may take 20 to finish the process. Once done, you can reboot your computer and verify if there is an installer error while using QuickBooks.
Fix 3: Create New Admin User Account for Windows
Due to insufficient privileges, you encounter installer issues. As a result, you fail to modify the file and confront QuickBooks error 1321. By creating another Windows user account and assigning administrator rights to it can solve the problem.
To create the new Windows user account with admin rights, you can go through the steps stated below:
- Click the Windows “Start” icon.
- Search for the “Control Panel”.
- Go to the “Select User/Accounts” option.
- Now, select the “Create a New User”.
- Give a name to your account.
- Make sure you set it as an administrator.
Once done creating your account, you can log out from it. Thereafter, you can sign in to the account you just created. If you are still facing issues accessing QuickBooks then you should move to the next solution.
Fix 4: Change the Folder Permission on Windows
When you edit or change the folder permission, you can modify the file for which you are facing QuickBooks error 1321. Here, we will show you the steps for Windows 10, 8, and 7 including both 64-bit and 32-bit versions.
- Open the “Run” window by using the “Windows + R” keys on your keyboard.
- When the “Run” dialog box opens, you are required to enter the folder path that contains your QuickBooks files. You can select the path from here.
Choose Your Folder Path (Windows 10, 8, and 7 for 64-bit Version)
If you are using the Windows 64-bits version and want to enter the right folder path, go through the following paths for the QuickBooks versions:
QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise Solutions
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\Enterprise Solutions 17.0
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\Enterprise Solutions 18.0
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\Enterprise Solutions 19.0
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\Enterprise Solutions 20.0
QuickBooks Premier and Premier
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks 2017
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks 2018
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks 2019
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks 2020
QuickBooks Points of Sale
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks Point of Sale 11.0
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks Point of Sale 12.0
Choose Your Folder Path (Windows 10, 8, and 7 for 32-bit Version)
The folder path can be chosen depending on the QuickBooks edition or version you are using. It could be any of the following:
QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\Enterprise Solutions 17.0
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\Enterprise Solutions 18.0
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\Enterprise Solutions 19.0
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\Enterprise Solutions 20.0
QuickBooks Premier and Pro
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 2017
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 2018
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 2019
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 2020
QuickBooks Points of Sale
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks Point of Sale 11.0
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks Point of Sale 12.0
Depending on the QuickBooks version, you can copy the path and paste it into the Run dialog field. This will help you to reach the right folder or file so that you can edit the folder permission. Once done entering the right folder path based on the Windows and QuickBooks version, you can continue following these steps:
- Then, hit the “Enter” key or click the “OK” button on your screen.
- When a new window opens, click on the “View” button.
- Then, select the “Customize the folder”.
- Switch to the “Security” tab.
- Select the “Administrations” option in the “Properties” window.
- Click on the “Allow” located next to the “Full Control” option.
- Now, move to the “Security” tab again.
- Select the “System user” option.
- Now, go to the “Security” tab and again choose the “Administrations” option from the “Properties” window.
- Press the “OK” button.
- Close the “Properties” window.
After following these steps, you can perform a clean installation for your QuickBooks software. This will help you to remove the error easily.
Fix 5: Disable Antivirus Program
Antivirus or security programs installed on your Windows computer may block QuickBooks due to which you are failing to perform certain tasks. If that is the case, you can temporarily disable the antivirus program and reinstall QuickBooks to check if the error persists.
- If you are using the Avast program then you can click on its icon from the Windows taskbar.
- Then, select the “Avast shields control”.
- Now, disable the program depending on what time you want to keep it turned off.
After you disable the antivirus or security program, you can reinstall the QuickBooks Desktop or you can check for the new QuickBooks and install it on your computer. Thereafter, you can enable the antivirus program again and check if you find any error.
Important Note: If you are connected to your internet using cable or DSL then it is not recommended to disable the antivirus program with a persistent connection. Yet if you want to disable the antivirus program, first, you should turn off the internet from your system. Later, you can enable the antivirus program before you reconnect to the internet.
Fix 6: Update Insufficient User Rights
Since you confront QuickBooks error 1321 while installing the QuickBooks programs. If you find an error message associated with AcrobatConnect.cfg, you should update the privileges for files and folders on Windows.
All you are required to do is open the hidden folder and give full control to the files and folders so that QuickBooks can be installed properly. Here, we will show you the whole procedure for Windows XP and Windows XP Professionals.
Windows XP Professionals
- Press the “Windows + E” keys on your keyboard. This will open “Windows Explorer”.
- Now, go to the parent folder of the error message.
- Once found, click right on the “Parent” folder.
- Here, you need to choose the “Properties” tab using the drop-down menu.
- Now, switch to the “Security” tab.
- At this point, you can select the administrators for the user names or groups.
- Windows XP users have to shut down their PC and restart after a few seconds.
- As you see the “Windows logo” while restarting the PC, press the “F8” key on your keyboard. This will take you to the “Advanced Boot Options” window.
- Here, you can select the “Safe Mode with Networking” option.
- Press the “Enter” key.
- In the next window, you will have to follow on-screen prompts to update the privileges of a user. Later, you can start your computer and try installing QuickBooks.
- From the user or group names section, click on the “System” icon to allow for permission.
- Here, click the “Advanced” icon.
- Then, click the “Replace permission entries” option on all objects along with entries.
- Close the “Properties” window.
- Press the “OK” window.
This way you can update the privileges for the user. After you give full control to the user, you can easily install QuickBooks Desktop.
Administrative privileges are required to perform certain tasks on a Windows computer. For instance, installing QuickBooks requires you to run the Windows system as an admin. Also, insufficient rights to files and folders can cause unwanted issues. By giving full control to the files, you can proceed with the QuickBooks installation easily.
Facing QuickBooks script error? Learn here how to resolve this error.