The general ledger is significant since it contributes to the accounting process. Beyond knowing what it can do, users should also be aware of the method to add information to this record. By going through the methods that explain how to import general ledger into QuickBooks, this awareness can be formed on the part of the users. Through files and Excel spreadsheets, these methods can be initiated. Once they are complete, the record of the general ledger will be updated. Having said that, accounting procedures will be carried out with every important and recent piece of financial information.
1. How to Import General Ledger into QuickBooks?
The option of Upload File in QuickBooks makes it way easier to import general ledger. Given that the software has been properly set, you can access this option. Through this, you can pick one file along with your spreadsheets. Then you can go ahead with the mapping process which will ultimately help you import the ledger.
See further how to import general ledger into QuickBooks:
- You have to find “Upload File” in this software.
- Using this menu, you can begin to upload your desired file.
- Then run that file which has to be imported.
- The spreadsheets associated with this file can also be opened.
- Tap on “Accounts” to indicate “QuickBooks”.
- Start mapping all the columns in the accounts.
- Once they have been mapped, you can tap “Import”.
Your accounts will get added to the chosen file. You can go through this file to ensure that the information has been correctly imported.
2. How to Import General Ledger into QuickBooks Desktop?
A toolkit option is available to let you import general ledger in this accounting software. You will have to download it beforehand. Then it will provide you with access to the WinZip Self-Extractor. When you start the browsing operations through this, you will be able to import general ledger into QuickBooks Desktop from Excel.
- Install “QuickBooks Import Excel and CSV Toolkit” on your computer.
- Save this file somewhere on your Desktop.
- Then you have to open the said file by clicking twice on the following:
- The screen for “WinZip Self-Extractor” will get launched. Hit the option that says “Browse”.
- Now, you are needed to choose one folder in which you will prefer to install this downloaded toolkit.
- Opt for the “Ok” tab.
- After that, clicking on the option of “Unzip” is vital. This will extract its contents.
- Select the “Close” button. Doing so will turn off the screen for “WinZip Self-Extractor”.
- Begin running the folder for “QuickBooks Import Excel and CSV” by going to the same location that you chose before.
This shows how you are required to use the QuickBooks Import Excel and CSV toolkit. As you will unzip this file, you can start extracting the content of it. This will allow you to import the transactions, as well as lists, to QuickBooks Desktop.
3. Can You Import General Ledger into QuickBooks Online?
A user can move the general ledger into QuickBooks Online in 2 ways. Although the Import Data option can commonly work for both of these, the selections made afterward can cause variations. To quickly import your file, going ahead with the first method is suggested. When Excel is to be used, in specific, the second way to import general ledger into QuickBooks Online can best assist the user.
3.1) Method 1: Import Using Accounts
As you may now understand, the general ledger comprises a number of components. When you import this record, you will expect all of these components to get transferred to QuickBooks Online from Excel. But the limitation here is that although the import process is possible, not every piece of information may be moved. Aside from your transactions, your account balances will be imported. In addition, the details related to the balances will also be moved.
- Look for the “Gear” icon in “QuickBooks Online”.
- From here, you will have to open one company file.
- After it has been opened, hit the button for “Import Data”.
- Following this, you have to go to “Accounts”.
- The accounting software will show certain directions. Follow them to execute the import procedure.
As you reach the final step, you will be able to import the general ledger in QuickBooks Online from Excel. But remember that only certain information will get transferred from one platform to another.
3.2) Method 2: Importing from Excel
The Import Data option, available in QuickBooks Online, can help you choose one Excel file. Through this file, the import of the general ledger will become possible. While you do so, keep in mind that the right file is selected with all the data organized. After this method has been carried out, reviewing the information will be the only task left.
As you continue reading, how to import general ledger into QuickBooks Online from Excel will be understood.
- Login to your account for “QuickBooks Online”.
- Then go to the “Gear icon“.
- Here, you will see the button labeled “Import Data”. Click on it.
- After this, select the tab for “Accounts”.
- Now, you can start browsing the “Excel” sheet as well as upload it to the “QuickBooks Online” software.
- As you upload the “Excel” sheet, the general ledger will start importing it into your account.
Note: These steps can be followed for QuickBooks Pro and Enterprise editions too.
To Wind Up
For the financial records it carries, the general ledger can be important. Hence, adding information to it becomes an essential concern for users. Once how to import general ledger into QuickBooks has been thoroughly grasped, keeping the financial information updated will no longer be an unresolved concern.
FAQs – How to Import General Ledger into QuickBooks Online and Desktop?
You can use the “Upload File” feature available in “QuickBooks”. It will let you attach a file that will carry the information important to the general ledger. Later on, you can map the information and then finally import it.
This software has several versions. In QuickBooks Desktop and Online, you can find the feature of the general ledger. It will let you upload files with financial information to modify the record of this ledger.
When you have to import general ledger into QuickBooks Desktop, the best way is to use the toolkit. You can add the QuickBooks Import Excel and CSV Toolkit to your system. As you extract its file, you should see the directions to start this import procedure.
Accurate financial information is needed to add to your general ledger. You will also need an Excel file. In addition to this, the correct method to import general ledger into QuickBooks Online is mandatory. With all of these, the import will be successfully done.