As a business owner, it becomes essential to keep your employee information organized in records. To manage the employee data, users can import and export the company data with dedicated columns and rows. This helps in figuring out the problems and the ideas on increasing the business efficiency. If you are eager to Import employee list into QuickBooks Desktop, we will guide you with relevant information. Continue reading to find out the procedure.
- What Do You Need to Know Before Importing an Employee List?
- How to Import Employee List into QuickBooks Desktop from Excel?
- How to Import Employee List into QuickBooks Online from Excel?
- How to Import Employee List into QuickBooks Payroll?
What Do You Need to Know Before Importing an Employee List?
When you manage employee information, you need to keep a few things into consideration. Here are the following pointers you should be aware of before importing employee data in QuickBooks:
- Users cannot import the employee details from another application.
- When converting the company file from your QuickBooks Desktop to build a new QuickBooks Online company, this conversion may include the employee contact details, however, it will not include the payroll data.
How to Import Employee List into QuickBooks Desktop from Excel?
QuickBooks Desktop users can also import the employee list by using Excel. All you have to do is use the tool that helps in importing the employee data. Once you get the tool, you are required to select the file, map the columns, review, and import the data. In the following discussion, we will show you how to import employee list into QuickBooks Desktop from Excel.
- Click on the “Select your file” option.
- Then, select the “Browse File” option.
- Choose the file from your computer that you wish to upload. Alternatively, you can click on the “View Sample file”.
- Now, you can continue mapping the file columns that are related to QuickBooks fields.
- After that, you can review the file data and click the “Next” button.
By following these steps, you can easily import employee list into QuickBooks Desktop from Excel. However, it may require a third-party import tool.
How to Import Employee List into QuickBooks Online from Excel?
If you want to import the employee data or list, the CSV or XLSX file can be used. To know how to import employee list into QuickBooks from Excel, you can go through the following instructions:
- Go to the “Employee Payroll” page.
- Then, click on the “Arrow” icon.
- Now, select the “Add Employee” option and click on the “Import Employees” option.
- To make the procedure easier, you can export the CSV or XLSX template file.
- Then, add all the employee data to the template.
- Once done, you can import the template into “QuickBooks Online”.
- Make sure the file contains column headers for import. There should also be a row for each of your employees that you wish to import.
- When you are done editing your CSV file, you can upload it by selecting the “Import Employee Data” option. Then, select the file.
- As you select the file to import, you can select the “Confirm Upload” option.
Once done performing these steps, you can see all the employee data on the screen along with the information you have added. If required, you can import the employee data in bulk. All you have to do is connect the third-party app with QuickBooks Online and then you can upload the spreadsheet. However, you have to map the columns to successfully import the data.
How to Import Employee List into QuickBooks Payroll?
To import the employee list into QuickBooks Payroll, you can download the employee template from a Data Extracts page. Thereafter, you can import this template for employees into the QuickBooks Payroll. To know each step, you can go through the following details:
Download the Employee Template from the Extracts Page
To download the employee template, you need to go through the payroll settings so that you can reach the data extracts page. For better insights, you can pursue the following steps:
- Click on the “Employees” menu.
- Then, switch to the “Payroll Settings” tab.
- Now, click on the “Data Extracts” option. It is located under the “Business Management” option.
- Go to the “Data Type” option and select the “Employee Data” option and “Empty Template”.
- Here, click on the “File format”.
- Once done, select the “Download” option.
Now that you have got the Microsoft Excel template. At this point, you are required to enter or paste the employee data or list. As you save the template with accurate details, you can continue uploading the template into QuickBooks Payroll.
Import the Template into QuickBooks Payroll
To import the employee template, you need to go to the Employees menu and import employees by selecting the file (template). To upload the template for completing the import procedure, you can perform the following steps:
- Go to the “Employees” menu.
- Then, click on the drop-down menu located next to the “Add Employees” option.
- After this, select the “Import Employees” option.
- Now, click on the “Select File” option.
- At this point, you can select the template you have prepared.
- Thereafter, click on the “Open” button.
- Select the “Confirm Upload” option.
This is how you can upload the employee template. Please note that you should mark the “Automatically create missing locations” option. Doing so, you can create any location name automatically listed in the Locations and Primary Location columns that are set up already on your system. If this option is not selected, you may encounter errors during the import.
After completing the import procedure, you will see the results on your screen that show the updated status of your employees.
To Wind Up!
The employee list or data can be easily imported if you download the employee template, add details to it with relevant headers or columns and then upload it to the QuickBooks account. In this guide, you have learned how to Import employee list into QuickBooks Desktop, QuickBooks Payroll, and QuickBooks Online.
Are you looking for more? If so, read the following guides and learn about QuickBooks physical inventory worksheet and finding company IDs.