In QuickBooks, the general journal entry is used to enter the sales and transactions. In addition, you can enter different types of transactions by using the journal entry. Once you create the journal entry, you can edit, view, and delete them as per the need. There can also be instances when you delete the journal entry and you may need to view them in the Audit Log. In this particular guide, we will enlighten how to view journal entries in QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Desktop in different ways.
How to View General Journal Entries in QuickBooks Desktop?
Once you enter a journal entry, you can opt for different methods to view it. For instance, you can view the journal entry from the Report menu and use the Advanced Search option. If you want to view the journal entry in QuickBooks Desktop, go through the following information for detailed steps:
How Do I View Journal Entries in QuickBooks Desktop from the Report Menu?
QuickBooks keeps all the journal entries that you created in your account. The most basic way to view all the journal entries is to visit the Reports menu. From here, you can find the relevant journal entries. By using the filters, you can search journal entries by date and transactions. This will make your search easier. Let us help you with how to view all journal entries in QuickBooks Desktop:
- Click on the “Reports” menu located on the left.
- Then, you can start searching for the “Journal” using the search bar.
- Now, choose the “This Month-to-date” drop-down menu from the “Report Period” section.
- Here, you can select the “Custom” option.
- After that, you can modify the starting and ending date range. This will show you the result for the specific date range you selected.
- Now, you can click anywhere on the screen to update the report.
How to View Past Journal Entries in QuickBooks Desktop?
When reconciling the account, if you spot an error, you might need to check the old journal entries in QuickBooks. If that is the case, the following steps will help you to locate the old journal entries in QuickBooks Desktop:
- Click on the “Plus (+)” icon.
- Then, choose the “Journal Entry” option.
- After this, select the counter-clockwise icon located on the top left side.
- Press the “View More” option.
- At this point, you can see all the general journal entries.
These are the two ways to view the journal entry in QuickBooks Desktop. To make your search smooth, you can take help from the filter option. This will narrow down your results and display the relevant journal entry only.
How Do I View My Journal Entries in QuickBooks Online?
QuickBooks Online can find the journal entry from the Advanced Search as well as from the Audit Log. If required, you can find and restore the journal entry in QuickBooks. In further detail, you will learn two simple ways for viewing the journal entry in QuickBooks Online.
How to View Previous Journal Entries in QuickBooks Online from the Audit Log?
There can be occasions when you delete certain transactions. Once they are deleted, you cannot restore them. However, you can go to where the Audit Log is and view them. If required you can recreate the journal entry using the details from Audit Log.
If you have your team members added to QuickBooks company, you may need to check who creates journal entries. In the following discussion, we will show you to view the activities and restore the journal entries if required. Read on to know how to view all journal entries in QuickBooks Online using the Audit Log:
View the Activity Log
- Log in to “QuickBooks Online”.
- Once logged in, click on the “Gear” icon on the top right.
- Then, select the “Audit log” option.
- Here, you can select the “Filter” option for more options.
- Go to the “Activity Log” and select the “Filter” icon.
- Now, you can filter the results by “Transactions” and “Date”.
- After this, hit the “Apply” button.
View and Restore the Journal Entry from Audit Log
- Select the Gear icon in QuickBooks and click on the “Audit Log” option.
- Then, choose the “Filter” button.
- Click on the “All Users” from the “Users” field.
- After this, move to the “Date” field and then choose the “All Dates” option.
- Go to the “Events” field and then mark the checkboxes for transactions.
- Moving on to the “Show” field, choose the “Deleted/Voided Transactions” option.
- Hit the “Apply” button.
- In the “Deleted Journal Entry” screen, click on the “View” button to view the details.
- After that, select the “Added History” button and note down the details.
- If you want to recreate the journal entry then click the “Plus (+)” icon.
- Now, select the “Journal Entry” option.
- Here, you can add the information you noted down before.
- Once done, click on the “Save and Close” button.
This is how you can find out the old journal entry from the Audit Log. This feature in QuickBooks Online also helps you to check the modifications your team members perform.
How to View Journal Entries in QuickBooks Online using Advanced Search?
QuickBooks Online provides the Advanced Search option. This helps you to search for a particular transaction with a specified date range. If you are willing to learn how to view journal entries in QuickBooks Online using the Advanced Search option, check out the following steps:
- In “QuickBooks Online”, select the “Magnifying Glass” icon.
- Then, go to the “Advanced Search” option.
- Here, you can search for the “Journal Entries” using the drop-down arrow.
- You can either use or skip the “Filter” field.
- In case you are searching for the old journal entries then you should use the “Date Filter”. This will help you to view the relevant results in seconds.
- Then, select the “Journal Entry” option from the “Type” column
As you follow these steps, you will see all the journal entries in the QuickBooks account. If required, you can use the filters. This will narrow down the results and will show relevant journal entries only.
To Wind Up
Journal Entry plays an important role in QuickBooks. This helps you to record different types of transactions and post them directly to the general ledger. After creating or deleting the journal entry, if you want to view it by following different ways. In this blog, we have discussed how to view journal entries in QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Desktop using Advanced Search, Audit Log, and Reports menu. We hope this guide helped you to understand the details.
Apart from viewing the journal entries, if you want to print them, the following guides can be very helpful: