In QuickBooks, the General Ledger reports display all the transactions for a particular date range from all the accounts. Such types of accounts include Equity, Cash, Undeposited Funds, and Accounts Receivable. When you run the General Ledger report, you can even select between an Accrual or Cash basis. Moreover, you can use the filter option to narrow down the result and view only those accounts you want to see in the report. If you are willing to know how to view general ledger in QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online, we will enlighten you.
Why Do You Need to View General Ledger in QuickBooks?
The general ledger is an account that shows how your business is going and the money flow. QuickBooks prefers to use the double-entry bookkeeping system. By using this system, you can record the offsetting credit for your debit available in the account. These transactions can also be recorded by preparing the journal entries. However, if the accountant does not pursue the traditional norms of an accountant then the transactions can be recorded by preparing the general ledger as well.
It is recommended to take a backup of the general ledger report so the data can be restored if the transactions get affected due to stubborn errors. Also, there can be certain reasons that you want to view the general ledger details. For this, you just need to run the general ledger report, set the filters, and view the relevant details. In addition, when you create or import general ledger, viewing it can be integral.
How to Get General Ledger in QuickBooks Online?
The General Ledger report can be used in all QuickBooks versions. To access the general ledger, you just need to run the report. By using the date range, you can view the details for a selected time period. Find out how to get general ledger in QuickBooks Online:
- Select the “Reports” tab on the left. After that, you will see a list of reports in QuickBooks Online.
- Then, select the “Standard” tab.
- Now, scroll down to the “For My Accountant” field.
- Click twice on the “General Ledger” option. This will show you the complete details.
- Go to the “General Ledger Report” screen and select the preferred date range. For this, you can use the “Report Period” drop-down option.
- Hit the “Customize” button in case you wish to filter or sort the data shown on the report.
- You can select between “Accrual” or “Cash basis”.
- Then, hit the “Run Report” button. This will generate the report.
With these instructions, you can easily run the general ledger report and view the details based on the selected time range.
How to View General Ledger in QuickBooks Desktop?
To view the general ledger in QuickBooks Desktop, you will have to run the general ledger report. This can be done through the Reports menu. All you have to do is customize the report so you can view the only detail you want in the report. Let us show you how to view general ledger in QuickBooks Desktop:
- Go to the “Reports” option.
- Then, highlight the “Accountant & Taxes” option.
- Click the “General Ledger” option.
- Select the “Customize Report” option.
- Switch to the “Display” tab.
- Click on the “Advanced” option.
- Select the “In Ise” option from the “Include” field.
- Then, press the “OK” button twice.
As you perform these steps, the General Ledger report will display the active transactions only. This way you can view the selected details in QuickBooks Desktop.
To Wind Up
The General Ledger report is quite helpful for tracking the expenses in businesses. QuickBooks allows you to create, view, and Print Journal Entries. All you have to do is run the report, customize the details, and get the data for a specific time range. By viewing the data, you can detect errors in data entry. This helps you to make sure that details are accurate in the general ledger.