Expensify provides expense reporting, company card reconciliation, mileage tracking, and receipt if integrated seamlessly with QuickBooks. It is specifically designed for accountants. In addition, Expensify automates every activity of your expense management process from receipt tracking via reimbursement. If you want to simplify the back office work by synchronizing expenses and invoices to QuickBooks, you can use Expensify integration with QuickBooks Online. You can take advantage of this service in the QuickBooks Desktop as well. Know more in further discussion.
Understanding the Expensify QuickBooks Integration
QuickBooks & Expensify are two helpful business tools that consist of advanced features. Such tools help you to manage small or large businesses. Both platforms offer different kinds of functionality and features. For instance, Expensify helps in managing businesses or expenses while QuickBooks manages multiple accounts.
Both account and management are quite important in businesses, however, users can’t operate both of them simultaneously. When you integrate Expensify with QuickBooks, it provides mileage monitoring, receipt, corporate card reconciliation, and expense reporting. Moreover, Expensify is the only expense management partner of CPA.com and AICPA.
If you are planning to use Expensify integration with QuickBooks Online and Desktop, read the following guide. Here, we will also highlight the main benefits of the integration.
Benefits of Expensify Integration with QuickBooks Online/Desktop
When you use Expensify integration with QuickBooks Online or Desktop, the data will always be synchronized. From your new account in QB to the invoices and expense reports in Expensify, all your data will be reflected in real-time. There are other benefits of QuickBooks Expensify integration which are as follows:
- Reconciliation of Credit Card: Expensify automatically pulls in your credit card feed and merges each transaction automatically to a corresponding receipt, for business or personal cards. For automatic reconciliation, admins can manage all the corporate cards. WePay QuickBooks integration can also be used to automate payments.
- Track Receipt in One Click: If you use the Expensify phone application, you can take a photo of the receipt to track receipts. With SmartScan technology, it reads your merchant name, amount, date, and transcribes the details on the expense report automatically.
- Workflows of Multi-Layer Approval: You can route expense reports via multiple layers approval. By doing so, your reports can be approved easily by multiple managers.
- Expense Reports in Real Time: This also makes sure that the expenses of your employee are coded properly and submitted on time. With real-time reports, admins can have better visibility into company financials.
- Corporate Cards Support: You can centrally manage the corporate cards of your team. This also simplifies the process of reporting the non-reimbursable expenses. Besides that, you can get insight into the company’s expenditures in real-time.
- The Facility of Next Day Reimbursement: Once your report is approved, the employees can get the money back on the next day. This also syncs all the data along with reimbursements automatically.
- Powerful Security: The SOC1 and PCI compliance of Expensify guarantees the top level of protection for the companies. It also offers bank-level security in order to keep sensitive data safe and protected
With Expensify QuickBooks integration, you can customize how your expenses should be coded to QuickBooks customers/jobs, expense accounts, locations, classes, items, and more. With fully automated integration with QuickBooks, you can set your policy as well. In addition, the revolutionary automation of Expensify will do all the heavy lifting.
How Does Expensify Integrate with QuickBooks Online?
If you use Expensify integration with QuickBooks Online, you can easily import the expense accounts or other data into the Expensify account and then export the reports to QBO.
All you have to do is to set up your employees in QuickBooks Online and then connect QBO to the Expensify platform to import or export the data. Here, we will show how to integrate Expensify with QuickBooks Online in two simple steps:
Step 1: Add the Employees in QBO
To map a report submitter, email addresses are required in Expensify along with employees in QuickBooks Online. Therefore, it is important to set up the employees either as Vendors or Employees. The email of the submitter should also be included in your record.
A Few Things to Consider:
- You can turn on the feature to create a vendor automatically if required. This is available in the connection settings. By using this feature, the vendor record is created automatically upon export for the submitters that do not exist in QBO.
- In case you set up the submitters as your employees then you have to enable the “QuickBooks Online Payroll” option. This will help you to see the “Employee Profile” tab. Here, you can see what all employee email addresses have to be added.
Step 2: Connect QuickBooks Online and Expensify
To connect QBO with Expensify, you just need to go to the settings, connect Expensify to QBO, and connect the QuickBooks Online company file to Expensify. If required, you can export the report in Expensify or export the report in bulk to QBO. Here are the detailed steps:
- Click on the “Settings” menu.
- Then, select the “Policies” option.
- Click the “Group” option.
- Select your “Policy Name”.
- Click the “Connections” button.
- Choose the “QuickBooks Online” option.
- Once done, click on the “Connect to QuickBooks Online” radio icon.
- Press the “Connect to QuickBooks” option.
- At this point, you can add the login details for the “QuickBooks Online”. Make sure you log in as admin.
- Here, you can select the “QBO Company File” that you wish to connect to the Expensify service. As per the policy, you can connect only one company file.
- As you connect QBO to Expensify, you may receive a prompt to export the historical report to your Expensify platform.
- If needed, you can export the reports in bulk to QBO from the “Reports” page. Then, place the checkmark on the left of every report that you wish to export. After that, select the “Export To” option from the drop-down menu to export the data to QBO.
- In case you don’t wish to export a few reports then click on the “Mark as manually entered” option on your report.
As you execute these steps, the Expensify QuickBooks Online integration is successfully completed. All you have to do is add employees with the appropriate type of submitter and then connect both the platforms to import or export the reports.
How Does Expensify Integrate with QuickBooks Desktop?
To integrate Expensify with QBDT, you can follow two different methods. You can either use Sync Manager or choose the appropriate pricing plan right from the Expensify website. To get the insights, you can learn herethe procedure of Expensify QuickBooks Desktop integration.
Method 1: Use Sync Manager
For this method, you need to add your report submitters as vendors just like you did for QuickBooks Online. Thereafter, you can add the Sync Manager that will help you to connect QuickBooks Desktop with Expensify. Let us show you how to integrate Expensify with QuickBooks Desktop with detailed steps:
- First of all, log in to “QBDT” as an administrator. Also, make sure you have 1 working company file only.
- After that, make sure the user who submits the report is set as “Vendors” while you map emails that you utilized in the Expensify account to a field of “Mail Email” in the record of “Vendor”.
- Now, go to the “Connections” button located in “Settings” in Expensify and choose “QuickBooks Desktop”.
- Here, you need to download “Sync Manager” & open it to perform on the desktop or server that is running QBDT.
- Once done, you can make the connection between QuickBooks & Expensify.
- Then, paste the token in the “Sync Manager” from the QuickBooks Desktop setup.
- When you see the “Connected” status, press the “Continue” button.
- Click the “Yes” button to give access even when your software is not opened. You can choose this option on your “Application Certificate”.
- Here, you can select the administrator user & finish the process.
Expensify lets you connect multiple policies and companies with one account. Besides that, you can use the connection that is existing again for every policy.
Method 2: Integrate Right From the Expensify Platform
Another way of integrating Expensify with QuickBooks is to log in to the Expensify account, choose the appropriate pricing plan, select the policy package, finish the integration settings, and save the changes for Expensify QuickBooks Desktop integration. To get more detailed information, check the following steps:
- Launch “Expensify” application.
- Then, enter your log details to open your Expensify account.
- Here, select the appropriate pricing plan from “Collect” and Control” plans. This is important to choose the right pricing plan before you perform the integration.
- Once done, click on the “Settings” menu.
- Then, select the “Policies” option.
- Here, you need to choose the package you prefer.
- Go to the “Group” field and select the name of your company. This will let you see more setting options on the left.
- Once done, select the policy name.
- Now, choose the “Connections” option located on the left.
- Then, click on the “QuickBooks Online” from the connection. This will proceed the QuickBooks Expensify integration.
- At this point, choose the “Connect” button.
- Here, Expensify may prompt you to get connected with QuickBooks when you log in. As you move further, you will have the option to sync the data.
- Now, you can click the “Save” button after completing all the details.
This is how you can complete the Expensify QuickBooks integration using two different methods. All you have to do is choose the plan based on your budget and get started with the integration.
How Does QuickBooks Get Affected by Expensify QuickBooks Integration?
Although Expensify integration with QuickBooks Online gives numerous benefits, there are still a few adjustments that happen after you complete the integration. If you are wondering how your QuickBooks gets affected by this integration and double entries involvement then we will enlighten you. Below are the following changes that Expensify lists:
Export Reimbursable Expense as the Vendor Bill
It will generate a purchase bill in QuickBooks which is awaiting payment. Here are the double entries you will see:
- DR VAT
- DR Expense
- CR Liability Account
Export Non-reimbursable Expense as Debit Card
- DR VAT
- DR Expense
- CR Bank Account
In addition, when you are having the outgoing transaction for reconciliation in QuickBooks, you can simply match it against the transaction. In case you find any difficulties, fix the reconciliation discrepancies.
Expensify is the best way for the employees to track the receipt without any mess. From small to large companies use Expensify for automating the expenses. This eases the daily activity in business. By integrating it with QuickBooks, you can have other advantages we discussed above.
Do you want more guides on integration? Check out the following guides you may be interested in: