QuickBooks lets you create custom reports for your business. By customizing the report, you can personalize the layouts, use filters for data, and add columns or rows. You can even customize the existing reports or use the Custom Summary report in order to start from scratch. To know the process of using QuickBooks custom report builder, read this guide carefully, and let’s find out what you can customize in a QuickBooks report.
The dedicated guide explains easy ways to customize the report for the accounting team in QuickBooks Online and Desktop. It includes different types of reports with endless options of customization.
- How Can You Build a Custom Report in QuickBooks Online?
- Customize the Report for the Firm in QuickBooks Online
- Customize the Summary Report for the Firm in QuickBooks Online
- How Can You Build a Custom Report in QuickBooks Desktop?
How Can You Build a Custom Report in QuickBooks Online?
Whether you have an existing report or you wish to start from scratch, QuickBooks Online allows you to adjust filters and apply customization with easy-going features. Find out how can you build a custom report in QuickBooks Online.
Customize the Report for the Firm in QuickBooks Online
To personalize the existing reports in QuickBooks Online, you are required to open the Reports menu. From the Standard tab, you can search for your report. After you open it, you will have a few options to customize the reports such as rows, columns, and format. Follow these steps to use QuickBooks custom report builder:
- Log in to the “QuickBooks Online” account using the correct user name and password.
- Then, switch to the “Reports” menu.
- After that, click on the “Standard” tab.
- Now, move to the search field and enter the report name you are searching for. Alternatively, you can select and open the report from the list.
- Here, you need to click on the “Customize” button. As you press this button, a window opens separately. From here, you can decide what to customize in the report. For instance:
- Go to the “General” section and set the accounting method and format.
- From the “Rows/Columns” section, you can add or remove the columns and rows depending on your preferences.
- If required, you can remove or add the data point. This can be done through the “Filter” section.
- Once you are done applying the changes, you can click on the “Run report”.
Customize the Summary Report for the Firm in QuickBooks Online
There can be users who are creating the report for the first time. In case you wish to generate the report from scratch without any data, you can get started with the Custom Summary report. Please note, this type of report can only be created for the firm, not for clients.
To proceed with QuickBooks custom report builder, all you have to do is visit the Report menu, open the Standard tab, and search for the Custom Summary Report in QuickBooks Online. After this, you can start customizing the report for its format. Here is the step by step guide for the same:
- In “QuickBooks Online”, navigate to the “Report” menu.
- Click on the “Standard” tab.
- After this, move to the search field, and look for the “Custom Summary Report”. Alternatively, you can search for the report and open it from the list.
- Hit the “Customize” button.
- When the customization window opens, you can perform the steps for customizing the accounting method, reporting period, and more:
- You can set the format from the “General” section and work on the accounting methods based on your preference.
- Move to the “Rows/Columns” section to add or remove the columns and rows.
- Using the “Filter” section, you can add or delete the data points as well.
- After customizing the report, you can press the “Run report” button.
By following these steps or using the QuickBooks custom report builder, you can customize the existing report and create the new custom summary report to personalize it in QuickBooks Online.
How Can You Build a Custom Report in QuickBooks Desktop?
QuickBooks Desktop offers a number of reports such as a custom summary report, YTD report, comparison report, and transaction detail report. If you are planning to create a custom report, you should be aware of the Report Preferences option. Here, you can set both company and personal preferences for the reports that you are going to run of the companies. In the following discussion, we will discuss a number of reports that can be customized in the QuickBooks Desktop.
Profit & Loss Report
The reports in QuickBooks Desktop use the report templates so it is necessary to set the required preferences before you create the custom reports. In case you are wondering how to customize a profit and loss report, we are sharing a few simple steps for using QuickBooks custom report builder:
- First of all, select the “Profit & Loss” report you want to customize.
- Then, click on the “Customize Report” tab located at the top.
- Now, you will see the “Modify Report” option. Here, you will have different options to customize the report. For example:
- Display: In this section, you will have options to change the date range of your report. The default date of the report will be set for the current fiscal year. But, you can use the drop-down menu to choose another date range. You will also find the custom option to add the date manually. In addition, by clicking on the “Display” option, you can select both the report basis as well as the data sort options including the number of columns you want to add to the report.
- Filters: Using the “Filters” option, you can select the account you want to include in the report. If required, you can select from account blocks such as expense or income accounts. You can also scroll down the list and select a specific account from the Chart of Accounts you want to include in the report.
- Header & Footer: By using this “Header” option, you can personalize the company name, report title, the date of report, and subtitle for the new report. On the other hand, the “Footer” option lets you add page numbers and add an extra line in the footer.
- Numbers & Fonts: To make the report stand out, you can use fonts in the selected area or throughout the report. In addition, the font can be selected differently for the row labels and columns. You can even add a number that you wish to show in the report.
- To save the customization, you can select the “Memorize Report” button. This will keep the changes saved in QuickBooks.
Although a standard report template is enough to customize the report, QuickBooks provides you endless options to personalize the report. There are other types of reports you can customize. Read below to know more.
Sales by State
You must be using the Sales by State feature if you sell your products in multiple states. By using this report, you can track sales in several locations. In case you wish to customize the Sales by State report, you can do the following:
- Click on the “Sales” category.
- Then, go to the “Sales by Customer Detail” report.
- After this, select the “Customize Report” tab located at the top of your screen.
- Here, you can find the “Columns” list from the “Display” tab.
- Press the “Name State” option.
- Click on the “Total Only” button using the “Total By” drop-down menu.
- Click the “Name State” option from the “Sort By” option.
- Hit the “OK” button. You can press the “Cancel” option if you want to make further changes.
Multiple Year Profit and Loss Comparison
Income statements and profit & loss reports are some of the important reports you can run. Such reports are most useful if you want to compare the performance of your company with the previous years. To customize the multiple-year profit & loss statement, you can perform the following steps in QuickBooks Desktop:
- Go to the “Company & Financial” reports category.
- Then, click on the “Profit & Loss Standard” option.
- Press the “Customize” button located on the top of your screen.
- Move to the “Display” tab, choose the years to add to your report.
- Now, you can click on the “Year” using the “Display Column” section.
- Press the “OK” button.
Open Purchase Order Report
The default report of the Open Purchase Order does not provide any totals by the vendor. Interestingly, you can get the totals from the vendor if you customize the Transactions Detail report. So, in order to customize the Open Purchase Order report, you can read the following steps:
- Click on the “Customize Reports” option.
- Then, move to the “Transaction Detail” option.
- Select the “Customize” tab located at the top of your screen.
- When you see the “Filters” tab, select the following:
- Posting Status = Either
- Account = Purchase Order
- Received = No
- Click on the “Total” drop-down menu.
- Choose the “Vendor”.
- Hit the “OK” button. This report shows the total amount of orders opened by vendors.
Sales Order and Purchase Orders by Item
If you want to decide what items should include in the most recent sales orders and purchase orders then you should create a custom report. It will provide details. Here are the steps to do so:
- Go to the “Custom Report” option.
- Then, select the “Transaction Detail” option.
- From the “Display” option, select the following fields for customization:
- Now, click on the “Item detail” from the “Total by” option.
- Click on the “Filters” option and choose the following filters:
- Detail Level: Choose “All except summary”.
- Item: Select the “All Sales Item”.
- Posting Status: Select “Non-posting”.
- Transaction Type: Select the “Multiple Transaction Types” as Sales Orders and Purchase Orders.
- When the report is ready, you can click the “OK” button.
If you send estimates to your customer, running the report of all outstanding estimates is beneficial. To customize the report, you can pursue the following steps:
- Go to the “Reports” menu.
- Then, click on the “Jobs, Time & Mileage”.
- Choose the “Estimates by Job” option.
- Select the “Customize Report” option located at the top of the screen.
- Enter the “Open Balance” from the “Display” section.
- At this point, you are required to remove the checks from the columns that are no longer required.
- Now, choose the date range of your report.
- Press the “OK” button.
This is how you can customize the reports in QuickBooks Desktop for different purposes. By adjusting the reports filters, you can operate reports based on your choice.
QuickBooks custom report builder lets you personalize the reports to keep the records organized. By customizing the format of reports, you can use stylish fonts, header, footer, and apply other filters to organize items. In this guide, we have shared the best details of customizing the existing report and new report in QuickBooks Online. Whereas in the QuickBooks Desktop, you will have more reports to customize such as Profit & Loss report, Sales by State, Open Purchase Order, Sales Order & Purchase Order by Item, Multiple Year Profit & Loss Comparison, and Outstanding Estimates reports.
Do you want to know how to run a final paycheck in QuickBooks Online? If so, check this guide for accurate details.