For every organized business owner, this is important to make sure that there are no duplicates in accounting books records. Keeping the same customer twice might cause confusion while sending invoices to a specific customer. Moreover, duplicates customer profiles take space due to which the speed of your accounting platform gets affected. If you are having duplicate customers, vendors, or accounts in QuickBooks, you should merge them immediately. This will help you to keep your accounting books accurate and organized. In addition, it prevents you from being confused between two same customer profiles. Those who have no earthly clue how to merge duplicate customer names in QuickBooks Online can read this guide till the end.
How to Merge Duplicate Customer Names in QuickBooks Online?
If you have more than one profile of your customer then you should merge them. The process works in a way that QuickBooks deletes one profile from the two and moves the existing data into a profile you wish to keep.
However, users have to be sure that both the profiles of customers have no sub-customers. In any case, if you find the sub-customer account in the main customer profile then you will have to make them a regular customer profile before merging the customer names.
To merge the customer names, you can go to the Sales menu and choose the Customers tab to select the customer profile. Then, click on the Edit button and add the customer name you wish to keep in the record, and save the details. To know how to merge duplicate customer names in QuickBooks Online in detail, read the following steps:
- Log in to the “QuickBooks Online” with login details.
- Then, navigate to the “Sales” menu.
- Switch to the “Customers” tab.
- Here, you can choose and open a customer profile that you wish to keep.
- After this, click on the “Edit” button.
- Now, move to the “Display name as” field. At this point, you can add the name of the customer profile you wish to keep. Make sure the names are matching.
- Then, hit the “Save” button.
- If prompted to confirm the action, you can click the “Yes” button to continue.
As you perform these steps, the names of the two profiles successfully merge. In addition, the data of the one profile will automatically move to the second profile. This way you can merge duplicate customer names in QuickBooks Online.
Do You Want to Merge Duplicate Vendors in QuickBooks Online?
Besides Customers, QuickBooks users may find more than one vendor profile in their bookkeeping records. If you want to merge duplicate vendor profiles in QuickBooks Online, one has to remember that this procedure is permanent. In simple words, you cannot undo your actions once the vendor’s profiles are merged in QuickBooks Online. If you are sure and want to merge the vendor profiles, you can follow these steps:
- Click on the “Expenses” menu.
- Then, switch to the “vendors” tab.
- Here, you need to locate the vendor profile and open the one you wish to keep.
- Once done, click on the “Edit” button.
- Make sure you note down the “Display” and “Company” names.
- Now, return to the “Vendors” tab.
- Here, you need to locate the vendor profile you do not want to keep in the record.
- Once done, press the “Edit” button.
- After this, you can modify the “Display” and “Company” names so they can match with the profile you want to keep.
- Then, click on the “Save” button.
- Press the “Yes” button to confirm your action.
After implementing these steps, the profiles will be merged and the past transactions will be moved automatically from one account to another (that you are keeping).
If you want to merge duplicate accounts, QuickBooks allows you to do that too. However, the procedure is permanent and you will not be able to reverse the steps. Thus, you should be very sure before merging the accounts in QuickBooks Online. This should also be noted that you cannot merge certain accounts as they are default in QuickBooks.
To Wind Up
Keeping your list of customers and vendors clean speeds up the bookkeeping and organizes the details as well. If your accounting book has two same profiles of vendors and customers you can merge them to stay organized. Here, we have shown you how to merge duplicate customer names in QuickBooks Online. We also covered how you can merge the vendor profiles in QBO.
If you want to void a check or update historical payroll information in QuickBooks, make sure you make yourself aware of the right procedure. Read the following guides to know more:
- How to Enter Historical Payroll in QuickBooks Online?
- How to Void a Check in QuickBooks?