Creating and running reports in QuickBooks is one of the essential tasks for accounting books. By running certain types of reports, you can view expenses, transactions, and a lot more details related to your company. The whole report summary allows you to evaluate where your business stands. Cash Disbursement Journal in QuickBooks is one of the reports that help you to view all the checks you have been written in a selected time period. This type of report shows the subtotals and grand total of every payee or split account.
If you are looking forward to running Cash Receipts and Disbursements Journal in QuickBooks, we will help you. Here, you will learn what is a Cash Disbursement Journal in QuickBooks Desktop and how to run and print this report.
What is a Cash Disbursement Journal in QuickBooks Desktop?
Cash Disbursement is basically the total amount of money that has been paid by the company in a given time frame. Such payments can be made by cash, check, or electronic transfer. All the check entries in the Cash Disbursement screen comprise transaction motive, amount, date, and the payment method.
All in all, the Cash Disbursement Journal report improves the efficiency of your business. Such a report lets owners and accountants see a clear picture of the profit, revenue, and cost of your business. If you have very few transactions and they occur repetitively, using the Cash Disbursement Journal report will benefit you. Let’s find out how you can create and print the Cash Disbursement Journal in QuickBooks.
How to Create a Cash Disbursement Journal in QuickBooks?
Cash Disbursement Journal displays all the checks you have written in a selected date range. It also includes the subtotal for payee and grand total at the end of the report. To create the Cash Disbursement Journal in QuickBooks, you can pursue the following steps:
- Launch “QuickBooks Desktop”.
- Then, go to the “Reports” menu.
- After this, choose the “Custom Reports” option.
- From here, you can select the “Transaction Detail” option.
- At this point, you can add the time period in the “Date Range” column.
- Once done, you can select the following columns in the “Columns” box:
- Moving on to the “Total by” dropdown arrow. Here, you can choose the relevant criteria such as “Account”, “Month”, or “Payee”.
- Select the “Filters” tab.
- When you see the filters list, click on the “Transaction Type”.
- Now, click on the “Transactions Type” drop-down menu and select the “Multiple Transactions” option. After that, you can select the following options:
- Bill Payment
- Liability Payment
- Sales Tax Payment
- Select the “OK” button.
- Now, you can select the “Detail Level” filter and choose “Summary Only”.
- Hit the “OK” button.
As you run Cash Disbursement Journal report, you will see each split account record by name. In case there are multiple split accounts in the list then the report will display the SPLIT word in a Split column.
How to Print Cash Receipts and Disbursements Journal in QuickBooks?
To print the Cash Disbursement Journal in QuickBooks, you need to open the account from the register. Thereafter, you can print the register after selecting a specific account from the list. Find out the detailed steps in further discussion:
- To get started, you need to open your account register you prefer to print.
- Then, click on the “Banking” menu.
- Select the “Register icon” on the homepage.
- If there are multiple accounts in the list, you can choose the one that you wish to print. For this, the drop-down menu can be used.
- Once done, click the “OK” button.
- After this, click on the “File” menu.
- Choose the “Print Register”. Alternatively, you can print the reports by pressing the “Print” button. This option can be found at the top of your register.
- When you see the “Print Register” window, choose the range of dates.
Note: If you prefer to print the report apart from a current date then you just need to select the dates using the From and Through text fields.
- Now, you can select the “Print Splits Detail” option. This will include all the details of the expenses and items so you can print them in your register.
- Press the “OK” button.
- When you see the “Print List” screen, you can see the information.
- After reviewing the details, you can click on the “Print” button.
- In case you don’t find the details at their place, you can do the following:
- Adjust the print layout, for example, you can choose the paper style; “Landscape” or “Portrait”.
- Once done, you can decide what pages need to be printed.
- You can also choose the “Print Range” button if you want to minimize or maximize the pages to print.
- After that, you can preview the details and hit the “Print Register” button.
This is how you can print Cash Receipts and Disbursements Journal in QuickBooks. If required, you can adjust the layout of your print page and make it like you want it to be in the print.
In a Nutshell
Cash Disbursement Journal is a type of transaction that includes the payment to creditors, drawings, loan repayment, asset purchases, GST paid, etc. By creating and running this Cash Disbursement Journal in QuickBooks, you can find the total amount your company has paid in a certain date range. Even if you require a physical copy of the record, you can take prints as well.
If you want to download bank transactions or create memorized transactions in QuickBooks, we have prepared dedicated guides: