The Trial Balance report contains data on your accounting activity. It includes transactions, opening balances, and transfers. A working trial balance report also keeps a track of all the monetary bookkeeping for a particular time span. Although you can view the details anytime by running the report in QuickBooks, you can still export the trial balance report if you want to use it outside of QuickBooks. Learn here about how to extract trial balance from QuickBooks to Excel for valuable insights.
Furthermore, you can modify the default app to view the excel file once the trial balance is exported. This should be noted that the procedure of extracting can be performed for QBO & QBDT on Windows and Mac systems.
How to Export Trial Balance from QuickBooks to Excel for Desktop Version?
QuickBooks allows you to extract all the raw data in a report. If needed, you can customize the report including rows and columns before exporting an Invoice from QuickBooks to Excel. All you have to do is run the Trial Balance report, choose the time period to view details, and select the Excel format for export.
Remember you can extract the trial balance from QuickBooks Desktop to Excel format for both Windows and Mac computers. Besides that, you can change the default application to open Excel sheets and update your reports.
Extract QuickBooks Trial Balance to Excel for Windows
Those who use QBDT on the Windows system can export the trial balance report from the Reports tab. All you need to locate the trial balance report, choose excel format, and create the new worksheet.
In case your system already has the workbook, you can open it, format the data, and export it in excel format.
- Launch “QuickBooks Desktop” on a Windows computer.
- Then, click on the “Reports” tab.
- Here, click the “Reports Centre” option.
- At this point, you need to find the “Trial Balance” report and open it.
- Once done, click the “Excel” option from the toolbar. If preferred, you can choose the “Email” or “Print” option to save your report as “PDF”.
- Now, in order to prepare a new “Excel”, you can click on the “Create New Worksheet” option. In case you wish to update the existing workbook including data in an open report then click on the “Update Existing Worksheet” option.
- Once done, press the “Browse” option.
- After this, search for the workbook stored on your PC. Remember this will overwrite your existing workbook.
- If you need to format the data in a particular way then choose the “Advanced” option. Although this step is optional.
- Once done, click the “OK” button.
- Now, select the “Export” option to open the report in Excel.
Please Note: The report should have less than 256 columns. In case you find a message that states your report has many columns then click on the Advanced option. Thereafter, remove the checkmark for the Space between columns option and press the OK button to save changes. Besides Excel workbooks, you can save the report in CSV format to have more columns.
Extract QuickBooks Trial Balance to Excel for Mac
If you are planning to export the trial balance sheet from QB to Excel on Mac, you can do it easily. This can be done right from the Reports menu. In addition, users can access the Excel Workbooks with Microsoft Excel 2016, Apple Number v3.5, and Mac Office 365.
- Click on the “Reports” menu.
- Then, you need to search for the report you need to export.
- After this, choose the “Export” button.
- When a new file opens, you can click on the “File” menu.
- Now, choose “Save As”. This will help you to save your file in a preferred location.
Once the file is saved, QuickBooks will open the Excel Workbooks in a default application that you have set already.
Change the Default Application to Open Excel File After Export
Every time you open the excel file, you might need to select a file viewer. If you use only one app to view excel files, make it as default to ease the process. To change the default application to open the Excel file, a few simple steps is all you have to perform.
- Click right on the file and choose the “Get Info” option.
- Then, go to the “Open With” option and choose the “Apple Number” or “Microsoft Excel”.
- Click on the “Change All” option.
If you want to modify the file type, you can set the report preferences. By doing so, you can export the file in .xlsx and .sylk.
Get the Recent Version of the Report
Using the report with the most recent version becomes necessary as this supports all the latest features. Moreover, it will prevent you from encountering any errors or restrictions. Hence, when you work on the Excel file after successfully exporting the report, you can get updated reports from QuickBooks.
- Launch “Microsoft Excel”.
- Then, click on the “QuickBooks” tab.
- Here, you will see that Excel adds it automatically when you export the report for the first time.
- Now, click on the “Update Report” option. This will help you to get the new version of your report from QuickBooks.
Please Note: When you update the report from Excel, you need to make sure that QuickBooks Desktop is running. This will set your permissions and preferences. Thereafter, you can upgrade the reports from Excel even if your QuickBooks Desktop is closed.
How to Extract Trial Balance from QuickBooks Online to Excel?
QuickBooks Online offers flexibility to its users to create reports to view insights about the business. If you want to use the report outside of QuickBooks then you can export the report to an Excel sheet. In addition, you can export all the transaction data.
To extract trial balance, you can use the Reports tab. However, if you want to export data without an opening balance, the trial balance report can be run.
Method 1: Extract Trial Balance from QB to Excel using Reports Tab
To successfully export QuickBooks trial balance to Excel using the online version, you need to navigate through the Reports menu. After locating the relevant report, you can open it and extract it in excel format. Make sure you save the file in a location where you can find it easily on your PC.
- Click on the “Reports” menu.
- Then, search for the report you need to export and open it.
- Click on the “Export” icon located at the top of your report.
- Once done, click on the “Export to Excel” option.
- After this, save your file where you find it easily, for example, on a desktop screen or downloads folder.
After saving the file successfully on your computer, you can open it. In case you are missing any data in Excel, the possibility is that your file is in a protected view. Therefore, you will have to enable editing to view the complete report in Excel.
Method 2: Export QuickBooks Trial Balance to Excel without Opening Balances
The option to generate the trial balance report excluding the opening balance is not available. However, you can export the report and delete the opening balance equity manually.
To make it happen, you need to access the trial balance report and export it in excel format. After that, open the same downloaded file and edit the cells’ data in the sheet.
- Open the “Trial Balance Report” screen.
- Then, click on the “Export” option. This is located between the gear and print icon.
- After this, click on the “Export to Excel” option.
- Now, open the file you downloaded.
- Here, you can remove the cell of the opening balance (learn more about Record Opening Balance).
- Then, save the changes.
By implementing these steps, you can easily export the trial balance to Excel and change the opening balance manually from the sheet.
A Trial Balance report is a part of an accounting process. It is basically a schedule of credit and debit balances taken from the ledger accounts. By running the trial balance report, you can view all the details for a specific time period. If required, you can customize the rows, columns, and accounting method before exporting the trial balance data to an excel sheet.